• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

KillGore

So superbowl weekend is when? First week of February?

if I buy a C6 via Best Buy this weekend at $1,999 and they have a sale on superbowl weekend, would they refund me the difference in price? or it doesn't work that way?

TLZ

Banned
I'm getting my C6 tomorrow. Any reason I should back out and get the B6 instead? Only reason I'm still in is for the better processor in the C6.

Theonik

There is no indication of how many releases are planned to include DV, this doesn't really change much. Unlike DV every UHD BD must support HDR10. The benefits of DV are also substantially less apparent with sets without substandard tonemapping like LG's 2016 OLEDs. The nice thing about Sony and Panasonic OLEDs is that's less likely to be an issue so if Panasonic can deliver better processing for HDR10 than Sony they can pretty much completely mitigate not having DV.

ACH1LL3US

I'm getting my C6 tomorrow. Any reason I should back out and get the B6 instead? Only reason I'm still in is for the better processor in the C6.

Get the b6, it has lower input lag : 27.5ms vs 34.8ms. I had the c6 and returned it for the b6, the curve is just something I can't stand and the b6 is about 15-20% brighter then the c6 due to no 3D filter so it is much closer to how bright the 2017 oled's will be :)

Traxtech

Get the b6, firmware update proves it has the better chip all round.

Only reason to get the c6 is if you want passive 3d, which is slowly getting phased out anyway unfortunately

:edit beaten haha

Oh wow, the B6 actually got the better input lag? Game HDR mode is 27.5?
Yep, they just updated it. I would not get the C6 over B6. I'm a B6 owner and...
no-regerets-tattoo-no-regrets-spelling-mistake-1366673455G.jpg

dragos495

if its the 65" go for the c6. i have it and the curve is stylish and only adds to the experience as i sit quite closer to the tv as i am using it as a pc monitor. 3d is also great on it. with the right settings, input lag is around 30ms.

if its the 55". get the b6.

TLZ

Banned
Get the b6, it has lower input lag : 27.5ms vs 34.8ms. I had the c6 and returned it for the b6, the curve is just something I can't stand and the b6 is about 15-20% brighter then the c6 due to no 3D filter so it is much closer to how bright the 2017 oled's will be :)

Get the b6, firmware update proves it has the better chip all round.

Only reason to get the c6 is if you want passive 3d, which is slowly getting phased out anyway unfortunately

:edit beaten haha

if its the 65" go for the c6. i have it and the curve is stylish and only adds to the experience as i sit quite closer to the tv as i am using it as a pc monitor. 3d is also great on it. with the right settings, input lag is around 30ms.

if its the 55". get the b6.

Thanks for all your responses. I've noticed input lag for 4:4:4 is ~70ms. They haven't fixed that yet :/

holygeesus

Banned
If you are getting a 65" the general consensus is that the C6 offers a better chance at a uniform, band-free, vignetting free screen, but it's still pot luck. There's no indication that either the B6 or C6 SoC is better (after all, the C6 shares the same chip as the flagship G6) they are just different.

TLZ

Banned
If you are getting a 65" the general consensus is that the C6 offers a better chance at a uniform, band-free, vignetting free screen, but it's still pot luck. There's no indication that either the B6 or C6 SoC is better (after all, the C6 shares the same chip as the flagship G6) they are just different.

Thanks. I'm getting a 55". I'm 2 meters away from it and think it's perfect. 65" would be too much for me :)

Well the delivery guy called and have booked for tomorrow morning. Can't wait to try out oled.

Theonik

lol

A bit of fanboyism and favoritism running rampant the past few weeks, but understandable, everyone wants their "team" to put out the best and "win"....
What am supposed to be a fanboy of this time lol

I'm just stating why Panasonic isn't bothering with DV. It doesn't really matter in the long run.
e: Because by the time it does people will have moved on to much more capable displays.

Caayn

Don't bother. DV ran over his dog.
Yeah I don't get it. More DV content is coming, and from three major movie farms at that. That your shiny new, high-end, TV won't be able to display that content is not a bad thing apparently.

Sickbean

I appreciate all the excitement is on new picture formats, and Netflix/Amazon et al are racing to provide content for them. But what about audio? Streaming video sounds terrible compared to Blu Ray, and there doesn't seem to be any appetite to improve it.

Theonik

Yeah I don't get it. More DV content is coming, and from three major movie farms at that. That your shiny new, high-end, TV won't be able to display that content is not a bad thing apparently.
It won't be able to play the DV version of the film on the disk yes. But it will play the HDR10 version. So the question isn't about missing content, there is nothing wrong with including DV. Not including it doesn't matter either at this point if the HDR10 implementation is good which Panasonic's probably is.

I appreciate all the excitement is on new picture formats, and Netflix/Amazon et al are racing to provide content for them. But what about audio? Streaming video sounds terrible compared to Blu Ray, and there doesn't seem to be any appetite to improve it.
There is far less people with nice soundsystems than there is with nice TVs which would be my other argument for better TV speakers tbh. For most people the extra bulk of a proper sound system is not practical. There is also apartments etc to consider. High end audio formats already exist. There is very little movies using more than 48Khz 24-bit, but you can do up to 192Khz 32bit on DTSHDMA/DTS:X and DTHD/Atmos, for streaming these lossless audio formats can require several megabits of bandwidth on their own with little benefit to their end users so that's why they just use AAC or some other lossy container.

Sickbean

It won't be able to play the DV version of the film on the disk yes. But it will play the HDR10 version. So the question isn't about missing content, there is nothing wrong with including DV. Not including it doesn't matter either at this point if the HDR10 implementation is good which Panasonic's probably is.

There is far less people with nice soundsystems than there is with nice TVs which would be my other argument for better TV speakers tbh. For most people the extra bulk of a proper sound system is not practical there is also apartments etc to consider. High end audio formats already exist. There is very little movies using more than 48Khz 24-bit, but you can do up to 192Khz 32bit on DTSHDMA/DTS:X and DTHD/Atmos, for streaming these lossless audio formats can require several megabits of bandwidth on their own with little benefit to their end users so that's why they just use AAC or some other lossy container.

True, the issue is that for those of us with even modest 5.1 systems the stream from Netflix etc is just a bit weak sounding. And don't even get me started on Sky. My receiver says Dolby D on some channels but it might as well be compressed mono for the way it sounds.

J-P

Neo Member
Ordered a b6 65 last night. Beyond hyped. Anything I need to know about updating firmware? Assume it's done automatically once connected to my internet?

holygeesus

Banned

In terms of streaming, it seems more a case that if your playback device doesn't do one, it will do the other anyway e.g., Netflix is Dolby Vision on the B6 app yet I can get the same material in HDR, on my Roku player. You don't really have to take sides anyway. As an aside, I think HDR looks better.

I couldn't find a better thread to ask this question. How much of a difference does sound bar typically make? I'm OK with the sound from my TV, but my biggest issue is the fact that I need to use subtitles with the "virtual surround" modes. All sounds are much better, but speech is often too soft... Would sound bar solve this issue or is this just an artifact of English being my second language?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You can get the entry level Vizio 5.1 soundbar for not that much cash. Like you can snag one for $200. Might be worth it if you have issues and don't want to blow a ton of cash on audio.

You can get the entry level Vizio 5.1 soundbar for not that much cash. Like you can snag one for $200. Might be worth it if you have issues and don't want to blow a ton of cash on audio.

My issue is so very specific that I'm unsure if it's worth it to spend even that much money. I'm one of those weird people who somehow are incapable of appreciating good sound :). Only when it's terrible I'm able to tell. So I'm actually very happy with TV speakers and their fake surround sound... except for speech...

My issue is so very specific that I'm unsure if it's worth it to spend even that much money. I'm one of those weird people who somehow are incapable of appreciating good sound :). Only when it's terrible I'm able to tell. So I'm actually very happy with TV speakers and their fake surround sound... except for speech...

I'm not sure if this will help answer your questions, but I have a Vizio soundbar (model SB3831-D0), and I'm able to adjust certain parameters of the audio output. Specifically, I'm able to boost the "center" channel, which could be of help to you. I haven't tried it in practice, so I'm not sure how well it would actually increase the ability to hear dialog over other sounds.

Overall I'm pleased with this soundbar, there is also a package featuring the same soundbar but with a 5.1 speaker setup (instead of 3.1).

Yukstin

Ordered a b6 65 last night. Beyond hyped. Anything I need to know about updating firmware? Assume it's done automatically once connected to my internet?

Most of the time it will take a while post release, for the automatic update feature to find the latest firmware and install it. I have manually installed the latest firmware the last couple of updates. It's pretty easy to download from the LG support site and plug in a flash drive into the TV.

Kal

Ended up getting an 65" E6. Spent forever debating between this and the B6, and whether I should get a 65" or 55". Not quite sure why I went with the E6 considering the B6 is a lot cheaper in the UK and has lower input lag (with the recent firmware update which should out in a few days over here) but I blame it on getting tired of the obsessive research and making a rash decision lol. I hope I'm happy with my purchase :) Thanks for all the help y'all. Should be delivered tomorrow so I should be able to give some impressions over the next couple of days.

spookyfish

So superbowl weekend is when? First week of February?

if I buy a C6 via Best Buy this weekend at $1,999 and they have a sale on superbowl weekend, would they refund me the difference in price? or it doesn't work that way?

I'm an Elite Plus member, and have 45 days to return. I went ahead and ordered an E6, but will keep it boxed up for a bit in case of a price drop. I *believe* they will adjust, but it may be a 'return, then re-purchase' sort of thing.

Kenaras

Looking for some TV advice, and hoping someone in this thread can help me out. I'm currently using a fairly old 720p Panasonic plasma TV (TH-50PX75U, if I remember correctly.) I love the picture this set provides, particularly the colors. I do the vast majority of my gaming on a PC (with a monitor, not on this TV) and the resolution hasn't been an issue for watching movies. I've also watched plenty of movies on a quality 1080p set, and the difference just isn't a big deal.

However, my girlfriend bought me a PS4 Slim for Christmas. So at this point, I feel like I'm missing out by continuing to use a 720p set. Are there any fans of the old Panasonic plasma TVs here? What are your thoughts on current technologies and brands? Are there any low-cost, high-quality sets you'd recommend? 1080p and 50" would be fine; this won't be my primary gaming system. I'm also fine with waiting a bit before buying. I'm mostly playing PS3 remasters at this point anyway, since I never owned a PS3.

Kyoufu

Ended up getting an 65" E6. Spent forever debating between this and the B6, and whether I should get a 65" or 55". Not quite sure why I went with the E6 considering the B6 is a lot cheaper in the UK and has lower input lag (with the recent firmware update which should out in a few days over here) but I blame it on getting tired of the obsessive research and making a rash decision lol. I hope I'm happy with my purchase :) Thanks for all the help y'all. Should be delivered tomorrow so I should be able to give some impressions over the next couple of days.

It's a stonking television. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it.

CuNi

Don't know if this is the correct place to post this here but I plan on getting a new TV soon and wanted did some looking around.

I plan on getting a 4k TV, should be 49" and around 600€.. 650€ is max for me.
Been having a eye on a LG 49UH620V recently but now a local electronics store has a good offer for a Samsung KU6079

Heard the samsung has great Input Lag, but I have to honestly say, I am not that informed when it comes to TV's, so I hope someone of you with more insight might shed some light into this for me.

BumRush

I couldn't find a better thread to ask this question. How much of a difference does sound bar typically make? I'm OK with the sound from my TV, but my biggest issue is the fact that I need to use subtitles with the "virtual surround" modes. All sounds are much better, but speech is often too soft... Would sound bar solve this issue or is this just an artifact of English being my second language?

In my opinion, it is a significant improvement.

Why don't you get one from a retailer that has a 30 day return policy and test it out?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why don't more TVs have moulded handles in the rear of the chassis? They're so difficult to pick up and move with modern tiny bezels, but they could easily add some grips in the back

As someone who purchased a Sony soundbar when I got my TV, the difference is massive.

I couldn't be be bothered with setting up a proper soundsystem so the soundbar/wireless subwoofer combo is great.

The one I have also has 3 HDMI inputs and acts as a switch.

As for the sound, it's night and day compared to built in speakers. Voice is perfect, gaming is amazing. You can even mess around with profiles and adjust them to your own liking.

Theonik

Why don't more TVs have moulded handles in the rear of the chassis? They're so difficult to pick up and move with modern tiny bezels, but they could easily add some grips in the back
Depending on the size put the panel the thinness makes it less practical and kinda ugly. For larger sets 2 people should hold the screen from the bottom from either side. Smaller sets one person is fine.

KillGore

I'm an Elite Plus member, and have 45 days to return. I went ahead and ordered an E6, but will keep it boxed up for a bit in case of a price drop. I *believe* they will adjust, but it may be a 'return, then re-purchase' sort of thing.

Hmmm maybe I should do this too

TLZ

Banned
Just got the C6. I'm flabbergasted. I'm fricking itching to calibrate but can't! Do I really have to let it break in for 2 weeks? The over saturated colors and sharpness and tru motion and more are killing me :/

One issue with this TV: it doesn't play nice with my HDMI splitter. Had no issues with the KS9500. Oh well. I just don't like switching HDMI cables back and forth.

ACH1LL3US

Got my 65B6 from Cleveland Plasma today.....

Comparing to the 55C6 I had this B6 blows it away. No pee stain in the middle like the C6, granted I bought the c6 new from Best Buy las month and it was an April build so it very well could have been a repackaged refurb, the b6 I got is a November build.

Updated to the newest firmware and tested with my Leo Bodnar and it is a concrete stable 27.5ms in the middle bar, no changing like the ec9300 oled I have. Bottom bar on the 65b6 shows 31.2ms which means it is less then two frames of total lag which is fantastic and my worries that this tv would be noticeable lag over the ks8000 I had had been totally alleviated.

I would 100% recommend the B6 over the C6 and the ks8000 and ks8500, which I have had all of them for. Same exact settings on the b6 shows it being so much brighter, its incredible.

Take note that comparing the newest firmware with the firmware the tv acame with 4.30.40 the tv is alot brighter and it seems that the ABL is less agressive and of course lag is bang on now.

Here are some pics, native 4K images on the tv. Please not the Monitor Audio Speakers pl300's are not hooked up yet and yes I did remove the LG Emblem and have the tv sitting flush on the floor. I plan to use some nice teak wood coffee tables for the tv to sit on and the PC.

31397463974_ca0ecc529b_z.jpg

32089960482_f7fdd5eabe_z.jpg

32200501786_a8e6512505_z.jpg

32120013431_3c91497224_z.jpg

32120013871_658490a95f_z.jpg

31397549824_448c3168fa_z.jpg

32120008861_0ffdee0357_z.jpg

Water cooled pc in Xforma case that I building to run 4k games on this :

Settings on tv that I took the pics on:

Game Mode
Oled light 40
Contrast 83
Sharpness 0
Gama medium
Brightness 50
Color 47
Color Temp w43
Everything else turned off

J-P

Neo Member
You're making my wait unbearable man. How long after ordering did you get it? Got a b6 65 from them as well

ACH1LL3US

You're making my wait unbearable man. How long after ordering did you get it? Got a b6 65 from them as well

5 days from them to CT. Super great price and hot off the presses unit from LG :) Your gonna love it!! Make sure you get the newest firmware on their site ending in .77

J-P

Neo Member
Hell yes. I'm beside myself lol. So sick of grey blacks with clouding and bleeding everywhere. Been waiting 5 years for this shit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Looking for some TV advice, and hoping someone in this thread can help me out. I'm currently using a fairly old 720p Panasonic plasma TV (TH-50PX75U, if I remember correctly.) I love the picture this set provides, particularly the colors. I do the vast majority of my gaming on a PC (with a monitor, not on this TV) and the resolution hasn't been an issue for watching movies. I've also watched plenty of movies on a quality 1080p set, and the difference just isn't a big deal.

However, my girlfriend bought me a PS4 Slim for Christmas. So at this point, I feel like I'm missing out by continuing to use a 720p set. Are there any fans of the old Panasonic plasma TVs here? What are your thoughts on current technologies and brands? Are there any low-cost, high-quality sets you'd recommend? 1080p and 50" would be fine; this won't be my primary gaming system. I'm also fine with waiting a bit before buying. I'm mostly playing PS3 remasters at this point anyway, since I never owned a PS3.

If you don't want to spend a ton of cash get the best Vizio you can afford.

TLZ

Banned
Do I have to put up with uncalibrated images for 2 weeks to break in? I'm dying a little inside every minute.

Top Bottom