• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone put LED lighting strips on the back of their LG OLED? I ordered a pair of Luminoodle strips for my wall-mounted 65" B6, but I haven't decided how I'm going to attach them when there is such a difference in the in the depth of the TV between the top and bottom.

It seems if the I just attach the adhesive strips directly to the back, I'm going to wind up with a different look to the lighting between the top and bottom, especially since the TV will only be two inches or less from the wall. I figure I'll have to put some kind of inch-and-three-quarter spacing strip (styrofoam?) around the top half, set back a bit from the edge, to get the LED strip at a uniform distance top and bottom.

Before I try this, I was wondering if anyone else has tackled this issue?

Put the LED strip on the wall instead.. face it outward along the wall so it spreads

Yeah, I put the same led strips on mine.

Hg27fUw.jpg

I don't have mine wallmounted so I've got a bit of clearance behind. I just stuck it there lol.

Here is what it looks like from the couch:

Looked fine for me so I just left it like that lol

Thanks for the reply, after looking at your pics I think I'm going to try temporarily attaching my LED strips the way you did but using some adhesive tape instead of peeling the back of the strips. Then I can see what it looks like with my TV close to the wall, and decide if that's good enough or if I need to try the spacing out the upper half like I mentioned.

Put the LED strip on the wall instead.. face it outward along the wall so it spreads

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea, too. I'll try a temporary set up like that as well.

J-Rzez

Since these models are not out yet, who would be giving that closed door demo? Never trust CES impressions. :)

Oh I know. This was from someone I know personally at the show that is harder on tech opinion than myself. The Sony was against LGs 2016 model. My buddy said he saw motion issues, though not as bad as before in the 17 LGs.

Also, just saw Linus put a vid out today on the Sonys.

The VE shootout is going to be brutal to Samsung this year, and great battle between Sony and LG.

Caleb187

I'm hoping to purchase the LG 55b6 when the price drops for the Superbowl sales (hopefully), but I'm not sure about the vesa mount holes on the TV. The holes are so much lower than other tvs and I'm afraid my vesa TV stand won't work with it. Has anybody used the vesa mount holes on this TV?

For reference my vesa TV stand is this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IUUN6L2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm worried that the mounting bars will stick out the bottom, or there will be way too much gap between the stand's base and the bottom of the TV because the mounting holes are so low.

vpance

haha, "Sony's test"...

I love Sony TVs and I'm not singling them out (since I'm sure all marketing departments do this), but if a rep of a company is comparing their product to a competitor's, at least some of that comparison is most likely embellished

If they're comparing the A1 to last year's LG's, then the Sony performing better shouldn't be a shocker. It would be unusual if LG didn't at least try to fix those near black issues whereas Sony and Panny did though, with them having the same panels and all.

dragos495

i strongly recommend not using a bias light system with an oled. i had one on the led sony 55w905 and it was great. got rid of the tv with the strip still glued to it. used the oled without bias lights for about a month, got used to those inky blacks, perfect contrast etc. the new bias lights arrived and put them on the tv and i found that i dont need them. it takes away from that perfect black feeling. any scene where its suppose to be black i couldnt tell if it really is, because of the bias lights "polluting" the area around the tv, if that makes any sense to you. its effin AMAZING when theres a full black scene and the room goes pitch dark, thats why i bought an oled. if it was an lcd i could have still see the backlight. with the bias lights you see the light bleed behind the tv.

the only reason to use bias lights is for eye strain, but lowering the oled light should come first. i should know, im using the 65" c6 as a pc monitor. :)

Theonik

If they're comparing the A1 to last year's LG's, then the Sony performing better shouldn't be a shocker. It would be unusual if LG didn't at least try to fix those near black issues whereas Sony and Panny did though, with them having the same panels and all.
Well yeah even without hijinks (which is often the case with these) Sony or who-ever is doing this wouldn't have access to LG's 2017 prototypes so they will be comparing them to last year's models.

BumRush

i strongly recommend not using a bias light system with an oled. i had one on the led sony 55w905 and it was great. got rid of the tv with the strip still glued to it. used the oled without bias lights for about a month, got used to those inky blacks, perfect contrast etc. the new bias lights arrived and put them on the tv and i found that i dont need them. it takes away from that perfect black feeling. any scene where its suppose to be black i couldnt tell if it really is, because of the bias lights "polluting" the area around the tv, if that makes any sense to you. its effin AMAZING when theres a full black scene and the room goes pitch dark, thats why i bought an oled. if it was an lcd i could have still see the backlight. with the bias lights you see the light bleed behind the tv.

the only reason to use bias lights is for eye strain, but lowering the oled light should come first. i should know, im using the 65" c6 as a pc monitor. :)

We'll said

Absol

Haha, I can't get used to without one or else I get severe eye strain since I watch/game in pretty much complete darkness.

muu

65 vs 55 is actually pretty substantial. I totally get the budget concerns but whenever I've gone smaller to save $ I always have the nagging feeling that I should've got the bigger version.

Me in 2010 took the 47LH90 which was $1199 instead of the $1599 55LH90. Definitely regret shorting myself way back then, as I wouldn't be nearly as antsy about getting another TV otherwise.

Feeeling the same but I'm comittted to a 65. I went from a 27" CRT to a 46" plasma in 2008 and it only took about a week before I started wishing I'd gone bigger then. To my surprise, even my wife thought the same. She's on board for a 65" now, too. I won't settle!

Wife thinks the 47 is good enough. The new TV will go in my basement-ish (split level house) family room, with a ~10ft viewing distance... 65 will be great, but 55 will actually still suffice, esp if I just scoot a couple feet closer when I'm watching / playing stuff by myself. Doesn't help that my sight is great upclose~8ft or so and regresses farther out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mid early December my parents bought a Samsung KS8000 with my assistance using EPP. I coaxed my parents to get the KS8000 over the cheaper Samsung TV. The company delivering it was a freight service I've never heard of called AGS, Associated Global Systems. It shipped well before Christmas, but still hadn't been delivered by January. At one point it was sitting in one area for more than a week. My dad kept calling the company trying to track down the TV. It was like they didn't want to deliver it. Several calls several weeks later they finally got the TV delivered.

The TV box had a huge gaping hole on the bottom. They opened the box and there is a huge crack going through the whole TV.

My dad called Samsung and Samsung claims they can't give them the same price for the TV ($1079 + Tax) and they'll have to order the TV for full price and get a refund some time later.

I'm livid.

tokkun

That's nice, but the reason I use bias lighting is that I don't find it comfortable being in a pitch black room. Beyond eye strain, it helps me stay awake and makes it easier to multi-task. The dark theater experience is also not the greatest if you have other people coming and going or trying to talk to you. If you want to min-max your experience for picture quality, more power to you, but I am happy to sacrifice some black level for improved comfort.

Kyoufu

Care to explain what's wrong in the video? Not saying you are wrong it's just that i want to learn how to spot weird shenanigans when i see stuff like that.

Aside them playing on their strengths i really see nothing wrong there.

The Sony rep says they're comparing a top of the line 2016 LG OLED to their latest and greatest. What you'll find is that they're not doing that. It's a 2015 LG OLED. It's just a really silly comparison.

Care to explain what's wrong in the video? Not saying you are wrong it's just that i want to learn how to spot weird shenanigans when i see stuff like that.

Aside them playing on their strengths i really see nothing wrong there.

In addition to what was already mentioned, even if it was a 2016 model - comparing screens that are not remotely calibrated using the TV's Vivid modes of all things is just stupid. "You'll notice the competitors TV is cooler or bluer..." is a useless statement since with proper calibration that type of "issue" can easily be defeated. That's one thing amongst many. It's just disingenuous as fuck is all.

Here's a worthwhile thread to read from the 2016 Value Electronics shootout:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...lue-electronics-2016-tv-shootout-results.html

and...

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1466757280

and on the other side...

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1469512604

pswii60

The Sony rep says they're comparing a top of the line 2016 LG OLED to their latest and greatest. What you'll find is that they're not doing that. It's a 2015 LG OLED. It's just a really silly comparison.
We also have no idea of the settings used on each TV. As always with new TVs, ignore the hype. Wait for the professional reviews, then also secondly, the user reviews to get a better understanding of the uniformity too.

The Sony OLED should be compared to the 2017 LG OLED as that's what it'll be going up against. But the 2015 model? I upgraded from a 2015 EF950 to the 2016 C6 and the difference is night and day - LG made a huge stride forward in 2016, so is silly to compare to the 2015 model in 2017.

Sony's biggest strength over the LG will be motion processing, so if you're in to sports theirs will likely be the one to get. But for movies (24p displays perfectly on LG) and gaming (motion processing disabled) there is unlikely to be much difference given they're both using the same panel. Sony might throw in the banding filter option if we're lucky though.

kagete

Mid early December my parents bought a Samsung KS8000 with my assistance using EPP. I coaxed my parents to get the KS8000 over the cheaper Samsung TV. The company delivering it was a freight service I've never heard of called AGS, Associated Global Systems. It shipped well before Christmas, but still hadn't been delivered by January. At one point it was sitting in one area for more than a week. My dad kept calling the company trying to track down the TV. It was like they didn't want to deliver it. Several calls several weeks later they finally got the TV delivered.

The TV box had a huge gaping hole on the bottom. They opened the box and there is a huge crack going through the whole TV.

My dad called Samsung and Samsung claims they can't give them the same price for the TV ($1079 + Tax) and they'll have to order the TV for full price and get a refund some time later.

I'm livid.

I've stopped posting in the KS8000 thread because people didn't take too kindly to me sharing my bad experience with Samsung.com and EPP. It took 4 weeks of constant calling and complaining before I got my return shipping label. 2 weeks after Fedex picked up my defective TV I finally got my refund.

After looking in more detail at the different TVs out there I decided on getting the 55C6P and I couldn't be happier.

LeleSocho

Banned
Ooooh i though there was something way more shady going on, these kind of things like comparing old sets to the new ones surely won't happen to me when i'm going choose my next set lol.

I'm sticking with bias lighting. I used an inexpensive one for years with my Kuro...I had a clamp-on Home Depot lamp with a 6500K bulb, and when I got my B6 a month ago, I put it on the back of that until I get my LED strips on. I occasionally tried watching in a totally dark room, but the eyestrain bothers me too much.

To each his own.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm sticking with bias lighting. I used an inexpensive one for years with my Kuro...I had a clamp-on Home Depot lamp with a 6500K bulb, and when I got my B6 a month ago, I put it on the back of that until I get my LED strips on. I occasionally tried watching in a totally dark room, but the eyestrain bothers me too much.

To each his own.

if you got eye-strain, I get it, I do (though try reducing TV brightness).

but there's no reason to do it to make blacks look better.

No eye-strain or not watching in a completely dark room? No bias lighting needed.

One of my favorite parts of my OLED in a dark room is not being able to see where the bars are on the screen... or stuff like the Starfield in the Martian UHD. It's insane

Sanctuary

haha, "Sony's test"...

I love Sony TVs and I'm not singling them out (since I'm sure all marketing departments do this), but if a rep of a company is comparing their product to a competitor's, at least some of that comparison is most likely embellished

I don't understand this demo at all. It's awful. Here, we will demo this stuff for you with the worst possible settings, that you wouldn't want to view content at home with. Enjoy!

people are bias lighting OLEDs?!?!?!

chest-pain.jpg

I didn't on my Plasma (it was set for dark room viewing and I never had any eye strain from it), and I don't with my current OLED.

if you got eye-strain, I get it, I do (though try reducing TV brightness).

but there's no reason to do it to make blacks look better.

No eye-strain or not watching in a completely dark room? No bias lighting needed.

One of my favorite parts of my OLED in a dark room is not being able to see where the bars are on the screen... or stuff like the Starfield in the Martian UHD. It's insane

The first time I suddenly "forgot" about the black bars was amazing. Then, the first time the screen transitioned to an all black scene, it was like "Whoa!".

TLZ

Banned
Finally calibrated my C6 to what I think is the best image for this set.

Isf setting
Oled backlight 60 (this can be lowered for night viewing)
Contrast 89
Brightness 61
Color 54
Sharpness 10
Warm1
Gamma 2.2
Color gamut normal
Everything else off

Why am I stuck on wide color gamut in game mode?

Paragon

The idea behind bias lighting is that it's more comfortable on the eyes because your iris is not constantly adjusting between very bright and very dark scenes.
Trying to use a bias light to improve the appearance of black on your display (which never worked for me) is really a misapplication of the concept.
Philips have done a lot of research into this, and it's why they have included Ambilight in all of their high end displays for years - including their upcoming OLEDs.

I wish that they licensed out their Ambilight tech because it's something that I would like to have as an option available on the display.
I don't want to be sitting in a pitch-black room all the time. For a movie night or an immersive game, sure, but not when I'm just watching TV or casually playing games.
The problem with Philips TVs is that they typically don't focus on gaming at all and have very high latency.
(and no, those homebrew Ambilight clones are not nearly as good as the real thing)

The same argument has been made for the ABL in the past, since it keeps the average brightness of the display at a more constant level, which allows the eye to relax.
I find an ABL to be very distracting when using the display with games or PC content though, even if it is easier on the eyes.
I like that my Sony LCD has it as an option you can enable because I have one of the scenes set up as a "late night" mode which does use the ABL because it's definitely more comfortable to watch when your eyes are tired.

In addition to what was already mentioned, even if it was a 2016 model - comparing screens that are not remotely calibrated using the TV's Vivid modes of all things is just stupid. "You'll notice the competitors TV is cooler or bluer..." is a useless statement since with proper calibration that type of "issue" can easily be defeated. That's one thing amongst many. It's just disingenuous as fuck is all.
Well his point was that in the TV's brightest and most vivid mode, the LCD is much brighter and has much more vivid colors - which is true.
The "blue tint" is because the white balance is set to C50 in the OLED's Vivid mode, which I guess is as cool as it gets.
And that makes sense, because WOLED's native white point is not D65 so a bluer white will be brighter. But it's not going to make for a fair comparison.

That said, the WOLED displays do all have a cyan tint to the image even when they're calibrated to D65 due to the way that WOLED works.
The WOLED structure plays a large part in why the color is so bad at wide viewing angles on LG's OLED panels too, but that's a larger problem with OLED in general and is still present on RGB OLED displays to a lesser extent.

holygeesus

Banned

Isf setting
Contrast 89
Brightness 61
Color 54
Sharpness 10
Warm1
Gamma 2.2
Color gamut normal
Everything else off

That brightness has to be a typo. Anything above 51 and you lose pure blacks.

Geneijin

Depends on your environment and if you're doing either a 2-pt white balance or 20-pt white balance. Your black levels move each time after you calibrate your grayscale (that's assuming you're doing a 2-pt and then a 10/20-pt white balance) so you double check. Mine's at 65 personally, and that's with me calibrating it to 140 nits (OLED Light 24, Contrast 90) along with a 20-pt white balance done although I aimed for a gamma of 2.3.

holygeesus

Banned
Depends on your environment and if you're doing either a 2-pt white balance or 20-pt white balance. Your black levels move each time after you calibrate your grayscale (that's assuming you're doing a 2-pt and then a 10/20-pt white balance) so you double check. Mine's at 65 personally, and that's with me calibrating it to 140 nits (OLED Light 24, Contrast 90) along with a 20-pt white balance done although I aimed for a gamma of 2.3.

You must be making some big changes on your 20-point calibration. Mine is tweaked and if I set my brightness one notch above 51 I can see the set glow in a dark room during dark scenes.

Saying that, contrast clips for me at anything above 84 too, so there might be variation across the lines, to take into account, what with the B6 being slightly brighter out of the box.

Evo X

How about the modes where it has a horizontal and vertical sharpness? Set both of them to 10?

Yes

Oh, I did not know that, even when not in PC mode?

Yes

Do you have a source for this? All settings I've seen from review sites and the calibrator I used all set the sharpness to 0.

Most review sties don't know what they're talking about. The ideal setting is always to disable any artificial sharpening, which is 0 or 50 on most sets. On LGs, that is 10.

Has anyone put LED lighting strips on the back of their LG OLED?

I have some IKEA LEDs on the back of mine. Had them on my Panasonic Plasma and just moved them over. Looks great.

I know. What the hell. lol

I do it to avoid eye strain.

Isf setting
Contrast 89
Brightness 61
Color 54
Sharpness 10
Warm1
Gamma 2.2
Color gamut normal
Everything else off

Warm 2 is closer to 6500k and that brightness has to be blowing out the blacks. I use somewhere between 50-55 depending on source. Mostly its at 51. Ideal color is also supposed to be at 50. I lower it to 47 in game mode to decrease some of the vibrancy introduced by the color gamut being locked to Wide.

TLZ

Banned

Warm 2 is closer to 6500k and that brightness has to be blowing out the blacks. I use somewhere between 50-55 depending on source. Mostly its at 51. Ideal color is also supposed to be at 50. I lower it to 47 in game mode to decrease some of the vibrancy introduced by the color gamut being locked to Wide.

Nope. It's 61 ;)

I've done the calibration and that's what I got. The blacks are perfect so far. Maybe because I'm on C6? I know the B6 is brighter so it would be OK on 51?

I know I've always used warm1 before but in the last couple months I've changed to warm1 as I've found warm2 a bit on the yellow side. Also on the C6 the image is dark and warm1 doesn't help.

Just to let you guys know I've used the Xbox one calibration option to calibrate.

Brightness 50 made the colors look dark too and 61 was perfect.

To conpare, I've always had my ks9500 on 8 backlight and looked perfect during the day. Brightness was on 46 and color 50. These were perfect on it.

The silly part is in isf setting wide gamut can be changed but gaming on that would lag a tiny bit more. Not sure why they locked us in wide gamut under gaming.

Evo X

Nope. It's 61 ;)

I've done the calibration and that's what I got. The blacks are perfect so far. Maybe because I'm on C6? I know the B6 is brighter so it would be OK on 51?

I know I've always used warm1 before but in the last couple months I've changed to warm1 as I've found warm2 a bit on the yellow side. Also on the C6 the image is dark and warm1 doesn't help.

Just to let you guys know I've used the Xbox one calibration option to calibrate.

Brightness 50 made the colors look dark too and 61 was perfect.

To conpare, I've always had my ks9500 on 8 backlight and looked perfect during the day. Brightness was on 46 and color 50. These were perfect on it.

The silly part is in isf setting wide gamut can be changed but gaming on that would lag a tiny bit more. Not sure why they locked us in wide gamut under gaming.

I've got a C6 as well. You probably have the incorrect RGB range setup while calibrating using the Xbox One, which is leading you to crank brightness way up to try to fix crushed blacks.

Bias lighting isn't just for improving black perception and helping eye strain.

What are the proven benefits of correctly implemented bias lighting?

1. Reduces or eliminates eye strain and viewing fatigue in dark viewing conditions.
2. Eliminates image contamination due to reflections, haze and glare on the screen from conventional room lighting.
3. Enhances perceived black levels, contrast ratio, and picture detail by enabling dark adapted viewing.
4. Preserves correct color perception of the video image by the viewer.
5. Prolongs monitor phosphor life by enabling dark room viewing and lowering of screen brightness requirements (phosphors are used in CRTs, plasmas, and LCDs with CCF or white LED back lighting).
6. Provides a low level of illumination in the room for movement and peripheral activities.

Video programs are mastered on calibrated professional monitors in "dim surround" conditions. It has long been understood that the best viewing condition for television programs is in a darkened environment. Total darkness is not recommended due to the limitations of the human visual system

Paragon

Bias lighting isn't just for improving black perception and helping eye strain.
That list is a bit of a stretch, from a site trying to sell bias lighting.
#2 - It's a better alternative than a light in front of the display reflecting off the surface. Not better than no lighting.
My preference is to have indirect lighting in the room rather than only having light behind the display. I don't like the way that only having a bias light behind the TV frames the image. It creates an uncomfortable contrast at the edge of the display.
#3 - When the correct level of bias lighting is implemented, it should not be bright enough to have a meaningful impact on perceived black level.
Perhaps the trick works on smaller displays with large/bright bias lights, but it doesn't work for me when the screen is filling a large portion of my vision and the bias light's brightness is equal to 5% gray. In those conditions my eye adapts to the display.
#4 - This is a bit disingenuous. For professionals working on grading content I can maybe see the argument that having a constant D65 light source in the room (assuming that your walls are also using neutral gray paint) keeps your eyes adapted to a D65 white point, instead of adapting to whatever content is being displayed on-screen - like those illusions where you stare at an image for a minute and then look at a gray screen and see an inverted color after-image.
I'm not convinced it would work unless your bias lighting is far brighter than it's supposed to be, or that it would matter as a consumer simply viewing content.
#5 - I'm not sure how adding a light source could in any way "enable dark room viewing" unless you are advocating a bias light in place of room lighting that is several times brighter.

I'm not saying that bias lighting is bad - I'm in favor of the Ambilight system, which can be adjusted to a neutral D65 if desired - but let's be realistic about it.
If you have an OLED TV, the only reason to use bias lighting is if you find the TV uncomfortable to watch in the dark and want a light behind the TV.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've stopped posting in the KS8000 thread because people didn't take too kindly to me sharing my bad experience with Samsung.com and EPP. It took 4 weeks of constant calling and complaining before I got my return shipping label. 2 weeks after Fedex picked up my defective TV I finally got my refund.

After looking in more detail at the different TVs out there I decided on getting the 55C6P and I couldn't be happier.

That's disappointing. Like the TV version of console warriors. I would have hoped better at some of our members :(

AddiF

Eh. Does it affect your viewing experience in any negative way?

Well I'm not entirely sure if its the viewing angle or this curve, but I was watching a youtube video yesterday and there was a complete white screen for a few seconds. I noticed the right quarter or so of the screen had a warmer shade of white and as I moved it changed. Thought it was the viewing angle, I sit at about 20° angle but then I noticed the curve when plugging in an HDMI.

Well I'm not entirely sure if its the viewing angle or this curve, but I was watching a youtube video yesterday and there was a complete white screen for a few seconds. I noticed the right quarter or so of the screen had a warmer shade of white and as I moved it changed. Thought it was the viewing angle, I sit at about 20° angle but then I noticed the curve when plugging in an HDMI.
I'd contact LG on it. That'd likely be a relatively easy approval for a panel replacement.

holygeesus

Banned

From what I know, a slight curve is considered normal. Also, you will notice colour shifts if you watch these sets off centre. As good as their viewing angles are, they do alter colour reproduction when viewed at an angle.

Top Bottom