• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Kyoufu

Well I'm not entirely sure if its the viewing angle or this curve, but I was watching a youtube video yesterday and there was a complete white screen for a few seconds. I noticed the right quarter or so of the screen had a warmer shade of white and as I moved it changed. Thought it was the viewing angle, I sit at about 20° angle but then I noticed the curve when plugging in an HDMI.

Then definitely get it replaced.

I saw people in this thread mention watching 3D movies on VR headsets. Does that mean, for example, you can rip an Avatar 3D BluRay and watch it on your goggles in actual 3D with all the intended depth, or are we talking like specific VR-made 3D content only?

Theonik

I saw people in this thread mention watching 3D movies on VR headsets. Does that mean, for example, you can rip an Avatar 3D BluRay and watch it on your goggles in actual 3D with all the intended depth, or are we talking like specific VR-made 3D content only?
In theory, you can do this, I think applications exist for this on PC PSVR is more of a challenge. Sony had a few HMDs in the early '10s for this purpose when 3D was a thing. Simulated 300" 3D display with dual 720p OLED panels iirc, optic design is very different for that though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's a good DIY calibration method these days? I used to use THX optimiser or Disney WoW bluray - are they still fine? Are some of those downloadable ones better?

I'd at least like some % grey images to set my bias light so it isn't too bright

Bias lighting is obviously not needed for black level perception with my 2008 Kuro, but it does wonders for eyestrain caused by changes in scene brightness. D65K, of course. I will do the same when I get my OLED set. If I had a 75" screen that took up most of my field of view that might be a different situation.

J-P

Neo Member
What's the deal with YouTube HDR? When i watch Netflix HDR it changes the picture mode to an HDR mode but when I watch YouTube videos that are supposedly HDR it keeps the default mode on. LG b6. Anyone know?

What's the deal with YouTube HDR? When i watch Netflix HDR it changes the picture mode to an HDR mode but when I watch YouTube videos that are supposedly HDR it keeps the default mode on. LG b6. Anyone know?

The YouTube app in the B6, C6 and E6 hasn't been updated to support HDR.

Bias lighting is obviously not needed for black level perception with my 2008 Kuro, but it does wonders for eyestrain caused by changes in scene brightness. D65K, of course. I will do the same when I get my OLED set. If I had a 75" screen that took up most of my field of view that might be a different situation.

Have you not experienced an oled yet? I have a black level lowered 9.5 kuro with sub .0004 FtLb blacks and in a pitch black environment, even those could use bias lighting to remove glow.

Oled is truly the first display tech that only benefits from bias lighting in regard to eye strain.

J-P

Neo Member
I hate to say this but the b6 picture when watching dish network looks like dog shit. Digital noise all over the place. My LED looked 100 times better. Tons of blocky digital noise everywhere. I've been fucking with the settings for hours.....

Netflix and games and 4K content look amazing. How can there be such a huge difference? I'm not expecting it to look 4K but I sure thought it would beat my LED. Wtf

I hate to say this but the b6 picture when watching dish network looks like dog shit. Digital noise all over the place. My LED looked 100 times better. Tons of blocky digital noise everywhere. I've been fucking with the settings for hours.....

Netflix and games and 4K content look amazing. How can there be such a huge difference? I'm not expecting it to look 4K but I sure thought it would beat my LED. Wtf

Garbage input = garbage output

Applied to kuros more than other plasmas and applies more with oleds than any display yet. Some will say it's bad lg processing but I'm going to laugh my way to the bank (my 1080p 9100 that I've been enjoying for more than a year was <$1,000) when the Sony oleds turn in similar results with cable/dish for far, far more cash.

Afrikan

Also now that Sony has done away with the horrible Live Events viewer.... they said you'd have to go to the Video section of the PlayStation Store and pick the Live Event from there and watch it or something.

since Sony has specific 4K apps for live events of the UFC on their TV OS Stores, does anyone think we might get that option from the PlayStation Video Live Events?

You would think they would push 4K Video every which way possible.

There should be 4K channel on PlayStation Vue for live events and movies, like Direct TV has for their Satellite Service.

Kyoufu

So which device has Youtube HDR? I'm sure the PS4 Pro version doesn't.

I mean is the Chromecast 4K the only one? or do other TV manufactures like Sony/Samsung have them?

Chromecast 4K and Samsung SUHD TVs are the only ones right now I believe.

holygeesus

Banned
Garbage input = garbage output

Applied to kuros more than other plasmas and applies more with oleds than any display yet. Some will say it's bad lg processing but I'm going to laugh my way to the bank (my 1080p 9100 that I've been enjoying for more than a year was <$1,000) when the Sony oleds turn in similar results with cable/dish for far, far more cash.

Sony are going to sprinkle their new OLEDs with fairy dust, which will make them able to produce all the fine detail that OLED is renowned for, and hide the bad stuff. you wait and see!

Yukstin

I just ordered a B6, woohoo! My receiver doesn't support HDCP 2.2, but has anyone tried one of those HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converters? I'm wondering if I can just put one between my Pro and the receiver.

This one is only $30, much cheaper than a new receiver! https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242

I wouldn't do that. You will not get HDR support though an interface like that. You'll have to connect the pro directly to the TV to get 4k HDR or you'll need to upgrade your receiver that supports 4K HDR pass-through.

For those that are sitting on the fence between 2016 OLED and the upcoming 2017 OLED from LG, CNET has a good article breaking down the differences, when to buy a 2016 model and prices: https://www.cnet.com/news/should-i-buy-an-oled-tv-now-or-wait-for-2017-models/

There is also some initial price speculation to start for 2017.

Nice to see a breakdown like this. I've always really liked David Katzmaier's analysis. I think at this point, since I'm not in need of a new TV, I'm going to wait for the B7 or C7, but damn it's going to be a tough wait. He speculates on May/June for B7, I was hoping to have it in time to play Mass Effect: Andromeda on it (since the game supports HDR).

Yukstin

Nice to see a breakdown like this. I've always really liked David Katzmaier's analysis. I think at this point, since I'm not in need of a new TV, I'm going to wait for the B7 or C7, but damn it's going to be a tough wait. He speculates on May/June for B7, I was hoping to have it in time to play Mass Effect: Andromeda on it (since the game supports HDR).

If you're going to wait on buying a 2017 model, I would wait to purchase one until October/November of this year. There were huge sales in 2016 around those times for 2016 models, I would expect a similar trend. If you buy at May/June you'll probably pay quite a bit more.

MPEG Noise Reduction and Noise Reduction in general can help in this regard. These options have come a long way since back in the day when the purists scoffed at turning on any level of picture enhancement but realistically your dealing with highly compressed feeds here. Give them a try.

...but yes as noted. Garbage in = garbage out.

xinek

I wouldn't do that. You will not get HDR support though an interface like that. You'll have to connect the pro directly to the TV to get 4k HDR or you'll need to upgrade your receiver that supports 4K HDR pass-through.

I think you're definitely right about this -- looks like HDR is something the converters can't support. And with all the handshaking issues I've been reading about, it seems like a converter may just cause more troubles. I can't believe I'm about to drop hundreds of dollars on a new receiver because of a bullshit DRM scheme...

ZetaEpyon

What did you upgrade from? I went from a 42" turd of a plasma TV to a 65" E6. It was glorious.

A 46" Samsung (LN46A650) that I bought in 2008 - it was actually a fairly decent TV for the time. But my god, even when knowing pretty much what to expect, the difference is staggering.

Kal

Can you guys please post your game settings for your LG OLEDs (E6, B6, E6)? I'm playing BF1 and it feels a bit off compared to my old Sony LCD. The soldiers look dark and I'm finding it difficult to distinguish them from the background.

holygeesus

Banned
Can you guys please post your game settings for your LG OLEDs (E6, B6, E6)? I'm playing BF1 and it feels a bit off compared to my old Sony LCD. The soldiers look dark and I'm finding it difficult to distinguish them from the background.

On what system? Make sure your black level is set correctly otherwise you will be crushing blacks.

kinggroin

Banned

For PC VR, yes. You have free social VR apps that place you in an environment you choose (penthouse, woods, man cave etc) and you simply select your 3D movie to play either on the projector for everyone who's in that party to view, or only on your personal floating window (which is adjustable in size and placement in every way possible)

The effect is literally like how it is in real life.

BumRush

Can't you post your settings? It'll be easier for everyone to assess

What are some thoughts here about mounting TVs above fireplaces? Conventional wisdom (and any quick Google search) will tell you not to do it. However, I'm still hoping to do this once I get a larger OLED later in the year. One consideration is that I have a gas fireplace. So while heat is an issue, soot or smoke is not. I tend not to run the fireplace for hours at a time, the way you have to with a real wood-burner. It's always on the lowest flame setting but does generate a fair amount of heat.

I also plan to remove the mantle I have now and mount a new one that is deeper (thus deflecting the rising heat around the TV a bit more) and lower (for a better viewing angle). I've had a 46" plasma on a stand at eye level for 8 years now, and I really love having it at that level. However, in order to get a bigger size that I want (aiming for 65") the only other real option is above the fireplace. Currently the smaller TV is off to the side of the fireplace and the TV takes up nearly all the space between the fireplace and the corner of the room - no way to fit a 65er there. (I'll try to post pics later).

tl;dr -- OLEDs above a gas fireplace? Major bad? OK?

MADGAME

Adorama on Ebay is selling 65" KS8000 for $1325 after a coupon.

For someone without access to Samsung's EPP, is that price worth buying or wait for it to drop further?

Dave_6

Joined the club with a 55" B6 today...

Holy crap I regret nothing.

What did you upgrade from? I went from a 42" turd of a plasma TV to a 65" E6. It was glorious.

A 46" Samsung (LN46A650) that I bought in 2008 - it was actually a fairly decent TV for the time. But my god, even when knowing pretty much what to expect, the difference is staggering.

I know I've posted this a 100 times already, but my current TV is a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma that I've had since 2008. I'm VERY close to pulling the trigger on a 65" B6. If I do I hope it blows me away the same way it has you all! :p

Kyoufu

I know I've posted this a 100 times already, but my current TV is a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma that I've had since 2008. I'm VERY close to pulling the trigger on a 65" B6. If I do I hope it blows me away the same way it has you all! :p

I've seen a lot of Kuro owners upgrade to the OLEDs and felt very satisfied.

BumRush

What are some thoughts here about mounting TVs above fireplaces? Conventional wisdom (and any quick Google search) will tell you not to do it. However, I'm still hoping to do this once I get a larger OLED later in the year. One consideration is that I have a gas fireplace. So while heat is an issue, soot or smoke is not. I tend not to run the fireplace for hours at a time, the way you have to with a real wood-burner. It's always on the lowest flame setting but does generate a fair amount of heat.

I also plan to remove the mantle I have now and mount a new one that is deeper (thus deflecting the rising heat around the TV a bit more) and lower (for a better viewing angle). I've had a 46" plasma on a stand at eye level for 8 years now, and I really love having it at that level. However, in order to get a bigger size that I want (aiming for 65") the only other real option is above the fireplace. Currently the smaller TV is off to the side of the fireplace and the TV takes up nearly all the space between the fireplace and the corner of the room - no way to fit a 65er there. (I'll try to post pics later).

tl;dr -- OLEDs above a gas fireplace? Major bad? OK?

I will be doing this when we move into the new house (with my plasma until I get an oled next year). The main reason is because it's a new house that was pretty much designed to have the tv above the fireplace.

As you mentioned, gas fireplaces aren't nearly as hot. Do yourself a favor and tape a thermometer to the wall where the tv will go. If it gets over 100 degrees Fahrenheit consistently, don't hang a tv or replace the mantle first.

I should put the thermometer on top of the mantle, out of the direct heat, where the TV will be, right? I'm guessing it easily gets over 100 on the front of the mantle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just watched The Martian on my 55XD9305. Looked great and the black bars were as dark as the bezel (2.35:1). There were some moments where there were really bright spots on the edge of the frame but the bars stayed dark (no haloes). It got me wondering about the local dimming configuration. According to reviews, it has 32 discrete dimmable zones. Do you think they would have designed it so that the zones naturally fall on 2.35:1 boundaries?

Overall I'm really happy with this set even though it only has limited local dimming. Blacks are still great for my use (usually watching in a lit room, and have some gentle bias lighting)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I will be doing this when we move into the new house (with my plasma until I get an oled next year). The main reason is because it's a new house that was pretty much designed to have the tv above the fireplace.

As you mentioned, gas fireplaces aren't nearly as hot. Do yourself a favor and tape a thermometer to the wall where the tv will go. If it gets over 100 degrees Fahrenheit consistently, don't hang a tv or replace the mantle first.

I had a TV above the fireplace and changed it out after a couple of years. It was just too high up for comfortable viewing. Ideally you want your natural eye level to be I think 1/3 from the top of the TV image - anyway much lower than anything above a fireplace. I'm sure it's workable, but it isn't ideal.

Evo X

So after the suggestions here, I stopped using bias lighting on my OLED.

WOW. In dark scenes, it looks like some voodoo magic where the borders of the tv disappear and you only see parts of the picture floating in midair. Definitely a cool party trick. I just had to lower the OLED light setting in some SDR content to avoid eyestrain. It's perfect otherwise.

ukas

WOW. In dark scenes, it looks like some voodoo magic where the borders of the tv disappear and you only see parts of the picture floating in midair. Definitely a cool party trick. I just had to lower the OLED light setting in some SDR content to avoid eyestrain. It's perfect otherwise.
Now you understand my child.

Kyoufu

There you go.

On my E6 though, with OLED Light at 100 I don't get any eyestrain. The panel doesn't get all that bright tbh. I guess the B6 is noticeably brighter.

I had a TV above the fireplace and changed it out after a couple of years. It was just too high up for comfortable viewing. Ideally you want your natural eye level to be I think 1/3 from the top of the TV image - anyway much lower than anything above a fireplace. I'm sure it's workable, but it isn't ideal.

Definitely not ideal. Just feel like I don't have any other options for a really large TV.

LilJoka

I so want to buy a 55/65 B6 OLED, but am worried about HDMI 2.1. What are thoughts on this? I think it would be super cool to play PC at 1080p60 and higher refresh rates on the TV. My PC is currently connected to my main TV (42" Kuro).

Top Bottom