• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Evo X

There you go.

On my E6 though, with OLED Light at 100 I don't get any eyestrain. The panel doesn't get all that bright tbh. I guess the B6 is noticeably brighter.

I guess I could give it a shot. I watch HDR just fine with OLED and Contrast at 100.

I just assumed it was the proper setting to turn it down.

Kyoufu

I guess I could give it a shot. I watch HDR just fine with OLED and Contrast at 100.

I just assumed it was the proper setting to turn it down.

You can leave it at whatever number you want. I find the panel a little dark if I lower it though. OLED does lack the brightness at times.

BumRush

I should put the thermometer on top of the mantle, out of the direct heat, where the TV will be, right? I'm guessing it easily gets over 100 on the front of the mantle.

Yup, put it exactly where the tv will be. Leave it for 3-4 days and max your usage of the fireplace.

I had a TV above the fireplace and changed it out after a couple of years. It was just too high up for comfortable viewing. Ideally you want your natural eye level to be I think 1/3 from the top of the TV image - anyway much lower than anything above a fireplace. I'm sure it's workable, but it isn't ideal.

Definitely not ideal, but I'll post pics when we get in the house and get set up...thats easily the best spot for it (in the living room)

Kal

Can't you post your settings? It'll be easier for everyone to assess

I've played around with it a bit and it looks better but not perfect. Here are my settings:

Oled backlight 95
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 10
Colour 45
Tint 0
Colour temperature C10

Dynamic contrast Off
Dynamic colour Off
Colour gamut Wide (Greyed out)
Super Resolution Off
Gamma Medium

This is my first premium TV so I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks :)

BumRush

I've played around with it a bit and it looks better but not perfect. Here are my settings:

Oled backlight 95
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 10
Colour 45
Tint 0
Colour temperature C10

Dynamic contrast Off
Dynamic colour Off
Colour gamut Wide (Greyed out)
Super Resolution Off
Gamma Medium

This is my first premium TV so I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks :)

ACH1LL3US posted his a couple of pages back and his pictures looked incredibly clear.

Game Mode
Oled light 40
Contrast 83
Sharpness 0
Gama medium
Brightness 50
Color 47
Color Temp w43
Everything else turned off

Try that and report back!

P.s. you can leave sharpness at 10 though.

Midas

Still no prices for the LG sets, right? Wonder if they'll be cheaper than last year's model

From a page or two back;

There's a Swedish site quoting some prices for the new LG sets. Maybe it's already known, but it's the first time I've seen anything in regards to prices.

http://www.ljudochbild.se/nyheter/lovtunn-oled-fran-lg

OLED65W7V - around 8000 EUR
OLED77W7V - more than 20000 EUR
OLED55B7V - around 4000 EUR
OLED77G7V - around 17000 EUR

Those prices are complete nonsense. There simply are no official prices yet, and I would be very surprised if they will be much higher than the prices of last year's models around launch.

So after the suggestions here, I stopped using bias lighting on my OLED.

WOW. In dark scenes, it looks like some voodoo magic where the borders of the tv disappear and you only see parts of the picture floating in midair. Definitely a cool party trick. I just had to lower the OLED light setting in some SDR content to avoid eyestrain. It's perfect otherwise.

You mean like this?
l7ojQiN.jpg
I know. That's my b6 in a dark room btw.

BumRush

Gemüsepizza;228408287 said:
Those prices are complete nonsense. There simply are no official prices yet, and I would be very surprised if they will be much higher than the prices of last year's models around launch.

With recent price drops, competition in the marketplace and no major advances vs. the 2016s, I hope LG wouldn't price the 2017s at 2016 launch prices, let alone higher.

You mean like this?

I know. That's my b6 in a dark room btw.

Efffffffff! That's amazing.

dragos495

So after the suggestions here, I stopped using bias lighting on my OLED.

WOW. In dark scenes, it looks like some voodoo magic where the borders of the tv disappear and you only see parts of the picture floating in midair. Definitely a cool party trick. I just had to lower the OLED light setting in some SDR content to avoid eyestrain. It's perfect otherwise.

you're welcome! :)

now spread the word to other oled users who use bias lights...

holygeesus

Banned
The euro is stronger now than last year, also I don't think we should take these prices as set in stone, more like a guideline that shows that they wont launch cheaper than last year's sets.

The pound is weak too. I bought my B6 for nearly 3k at launch so the B7 could be that high. The Sony is going to be eye-wateringly expensive I predict.

Midas

The pound is weak too. I bought my B6 for nearly 3k at launch so the B7 could be that high. The Sony is going to be eye-wateringly expensive I predict.

Yeah, I had some hope after CES - but it got crushed by common sense (in regards to the A1 pricing) so I just placed an order for a 55B6. I firmly believe that I will be happy with it.

Kudo

Hope this is the right thread to ask about this.
So I got Samsung 55" KU6000-series coming next week and I'm thinking what's the best way to playback movies on it? HDMI1 slot will be taken by PS4 Pro, so that it can use the 4K HDR and laptop in second, laptop isn't probably powerful enough to run 4K resolutions so possibly running it at 1080p or 4K30 (Shouldn't make much difference for media if it isn't 4K60?) .
Wondering whether the upscaler in TV or PS4 Pro is better, or should I run the laptop at 4K and use madVR to upscale, if the laptop can manage it. I have a feeling madVR would do the best job but I've heard that 720p/1080p is "linear upscaling" to 4K so the TV would do good job itself upscaling the laptop from 1080p.
Considering it's the cheapest model around I have my doubts about its upscaler, but I know nothing about this stuff so hopefully someone here is more knowledged, thanks.

KillGore

Who decides when these sets gets a price cut or price increase? LG themselves? or is it that one store lowers their sets and the others follow?

sector4

I can get the 65 e6 and the 75 940D for the price of the 75 Z9D. I love the Z9D, but 2 TVs are hard to pass up

FWIW I've heard the 940D is 90% the way there as an excellent TV, and only suffers from some minor vignetting, and there are some reports of smearing / trailing which could be an issue.

The 75" price for the Z9D is ridiculous, it hasn't really budged at all either right?

FWIW I've heard the 940D is 90% the way there as an excellent TV, and only suffers from some minor vignetting, and there are some reports of smearing / trailing which could be an issue.

The 75" price for the Z9D is ridiculous, it hasn't really budged at all either right?

Nope. No movement at all. The 65 came down $500 this week, but I really want a 75" for the main room. Decisions, decisions.

I have a week or so to decide

Theonik

94D is an excellent set for the price/size ZD9 is that much better though this is coming from the perspective of being about to get a 75ZD9 for less than half it's RRP. (refurb price that is, new it's still £5k but hey)

94D is an excellent set for the price/size ZD9 is that much better though this is coming from the perspective of being about to get a 75ZD9 for less than half it's RRP. (refurb price that is, new it's still £5k but hey)

Yea, that's the thing. The lowest I can find it from a reputable site in the use is about 1500 under MSRP. Was hoping to get it closer to 6500 after using discover price match

rokkerkory

I got the new chase visa reserve card just a few days ago. Need to spend up to $4k so that we can get 100k points in return in next 3 months.

What would you guys recommend? I would love a nice 65-75in 4k tv.

Theonik

I got the new chase visa reserve card just a few days ago. Need to spend up to $4k so that we can get 100k points in return in next 3 months.

What would you guys recommend? I would love a nice 65-75in 4k tv.
The Sony 75X940D is a good set in that budget.

Midas

Who decides when these sets gets a price cut or price increase? LG themselves? or is it that one store lowers their sets and the others follow?

LG in most cases, to move inventory. They lower the price, give price protection (if invoice for purchase is within specific period), and the resellers can give the new price to the end users. There can also be special bid pricing, which is mostly for the resellers who goes through a distributor to purchase the sets. Bigger companies usually buy direct from vendors. Like Dixon for example.

KillGore

LG in most cases, to move inventory. They lower the price, give price protection (if invoice for purchase is within specific period), and the resellers can give the new price to the end users. There can also be special bid pricing, which is mostly for the resellers who goes through a distributor to purchase the sets. Bigger companies usually buy direct from vendors. Like Dixon for example.

Interesting. Thanks!

ACH1LL3US

So....

I have a 65B6 oled. I left the house today and left YouTube on to get some more time on it.

Well, for whatever reason it only played two videos then stopped on a black screen with a square window showing the next video in the middle left side of the screen. Then the bottom has 5 boxes showing other videos, all on a black screen.

This was on the tv for 6hrs, 6 BLOODY hrs!!! By far and away the worst case scenario for an oled screen, black screen with some images on the screen static for hrs on end.

Now keep in mind I disabled the TPC in the service menu and disabled the auto turn off of the tv after 15mins. So this is really the most horrible case, tv only had 25hrs on it.

Of course I checked my grey slides and sure enough massive Image Retention.

So I immediately ran the oled comp in the normal tv menu which took an hour.

Sure enough the Image Retention is all gone and I quadruple checked my grey slides and tried games panning left and right to double check.

Moral of the story, I would not worry at all about IR, these tvs have enough here to remove it successfully!

Great job LG :)

P.S. I am a moron...

Kyoufu

^^^^^^^

You really need to undo whatever it is you did to disable the screensaver. Also don't try to break-in your TV. I don't see the point.

LG is really good at preventing you accidentally leaving your set running for no reason thanks to its screensaver function.

In general, you really shouldn't turn off any service menu settings. Anyway, glad the clear panel noise function did its job. :)

So, I can't get my B6 to display my desktop without turning HDMI Deep Color off. If on, the screen just flickers. I have a 1070, so is the card just not capable of the deep color option?

Kyoufu

So, I can't get my B6 to display my desktop without turning HDMI Deep Color off. If on, the screen just flickers. I have a 1070, so is the card just not capable of the deep color option?

I have HDMI Deep Colour enabled on my PC input and it displays everything as it should. Bad HDMI cable? Latest drivers for your card? Have you enabled all the relevant settings in your Nvidia control panel?

tv prices looking really good as of today, a lot of drops for the high end sets... i really just need them to drop the prices just a little bit further...

i need a 65" and they all have so many pluses and minus. watching different reviews where everyone seems to have a different opinion is super painful.

choosing between the ks9000 (since the price drop i might be able to grab this for a true 10 bit panel), the x930d, or the p series (dv support, full array backlight)

waiting for the wife to get here and then next weekend we will go to best buy and get another good look at these sets and buy the best one. (new house closes on the 25th, woohoo).

speaking of which, do any of these sets present problems with mounting? have only thought briefly about that.

ACH1LL3US

^^^^^^^

You really need to undo whatever it is you did to disable the screensaver. Also don't try to break-in your TV. I don't see the point.

LG is really good at preventing you accidentally leaving your set running for no reason thanks to its screensaver function.

In general, you really shouldn't turn off any service menu settings. Anyway, glad the clear panel noise function did its job. :)

I have an ec9300 for about a yr and half and disabled the TPC function on there too. Haven't had any issues with that one, I just screwed up thinking YouTube would keep running , oh well. At least it's kinda of a way of proving that these oleds are great at getting rid of severe IR, so playing games on this is now the least of my worries with it lol

So....

I have a 65B6 oled. I left the house today and left YouTube on to get some more time on it.

Well, for whatever reason it only played two videos then stopped on a black screen with a square window showing the next video in the middle left side of the screen. Then the bottom has 5 boxes showing other videos, all on a black screen.

This was on the tv for 6hrs, 6 BLOODY hrs!!! By far and away the worst case scenario for an oled screen, black screen with some images on the screen static for hrs on end.

Now keep in mind I disabled the TPC in the service menu and disabled the auto turn off of the tv after 15mins. So this is really the most horrible case, tv only had 25hrs on it.

Sure enough the Image Retention is all gone and I quadruple checked my grey slides and tried games panning left and right to double check.

Moral of the story, I would not worry at all about IR, these tvs have enough here to remove it successfully!

P.S. I am a moron...

Wow. That is a bad story. Then a good story. Nice! Gives me that much more confidence to buy one of these panels.

thematic

all the OLED talk here makes me embarrassed to ask about cheap 4K TV :(

I plan to buy either LG 43UH650T@ ~$446 or Samsung UA43KU6000@ ~$498. I'm in Asia so I can't order from Amazon/Bestbuy etc

I use it mainly for PC monitor/gaming, PS4 Pro. if possible I'd like to experience HDR content too. don't really care about black level too much as long it good enough.

any thoughts about those model?

holygeesus

Banned
So....

P.S. I am a moron...

You don't need to run the manual clean if this happens again. Just turn the set off for 15 minutes and let the auto compensation cycle do it's thing.

I have HDMI Deep Colour enabled on my PC input and it displays everything as it should. Bad HDMI cable? Latest drivers for your card? Have you enabled all the relevant settings in your Nvidia control panel?

Tested the cable from my PC to my monitor and it worked fine, and it works fine with deep color off. Made sure my drivers were up to date. I can check my nvidia control panel again. Which settings were you referring to?

Geneijin

all the OLED talk here makes me embarrassed to ask about cheap 4K TV :(

I plan to buy either LG 43UH650T@ ~$446 or Samsung UA43KU6000@ ~$498. I'm in Asia so I can't order from Amazon/Bestbuy etc

I use it mainly for PC monitor/gaming, PS4 Pro. if possible I'd like to experience HDR content too. don't really care about black level too much as long it good enough.

any thoughts about those model?
If you want cheap HDR, the best compromise is last year's Sony X800D (43" VA, 49" IPS) in terms of affordability, size, quality and features for your budget personally. Not sure what the Sony equivalent is over where you're at because of the differentiating model numbers. I'm assuming the Samsung UA43KU6000 is similar to the Samsung UN40KS6300, and if it is, well, I wouldn't recommend any HDTV older than 2015 even if you want HDR on the cheap. It really looks cheap with the high dynamic range being overblown because the white levels are clipping so early. No opinion or knowledge of the LG mentioned.

I can get the 65 e6 and the 75 940D for the price of the 75 Z9D. I love the Z9D, but 2 TVs are hard to pass up
I'd settle for the 65Z9D if only because the prices on those moved last year during the holidays. If I had the money, I'd love owning one more than a 2016 LG OLED.

thematic

If you want cheap HDR, the best compromise is last year's Sony X800D (43" VA, 49" IPS) in terms of affordability, size, quality and features for your budget personally. Not sure what the Sony equivalent is over where you're at because of the differentiating model numbers. I'm assuming the Samsung UA43KU6000 is similar to the Samsung UN40KS6300, and if it is, well, I wouldn't recommend any HDTV older than 2015 even if you want HDR on the cheap. It really looks cheap with the high dynamic range being overblown because the white levels are clipping so early. No opinion or knowledge of the LG mentioned.

I think UA43KU6000 is similar to UN40KU6300
it's a 2016 model with HDR Pro

the cheapest Sony 4K is around $800 so I think I'll stay away from it :)

after Googling for a while I think I'll get Samsung one.
LG using RGBW pixel so a few sites refer it to "4K" (not a true 4K)

Thanks a lot

Kudo

I think UA43KU6000 is similar to UN40KU6300
it's a 2016 model with HDR Pro

the cheapest Sony 4K is around $800 so I think I'll stay away from it :)

after Googling for a while I think I'll get Samsung one.
LG using RGBW pixel so a few sites refer it to "4K" (not a true 4K)

Thanks a lot

I'm getting 55KU6000 delivered next Friday, I can write some impressions once I have played around with it but not sure if that'll help if you're buying one in hurry?

Top Bottom