• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

KillGore

No, 65". http://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=3616500 lists it at 24995 NOK (includes 25% VAT and the usual 2 year warranty). That's roughly USD $3000 (not 2200 as I said earlier, brain fart math sorry :)

Ahh I see. I really want the 65", especially since my current tv is a vizio 65". Going back to 55" is going to take time to get used to. The problem is that here in Puerto Rico we have 12% sales tax, so it hits pretty hard if I pay $3,000 for a 65 inch.

Edit: Has anyone gone from a 65 inch LCD/Plasma to a 55 inch OLED? How was it? Any regrets?

BumRush

Ahh I see. I really want the 65", especially since my current tv is a vizio 65". Going back to 55" is going to take time to get used to. The problem is that here in Puerto Rico we have 12% sales tax, so it hits pretty hard if I pay $3,000 for a 65 inch.

Edit: Has anyone gone from a 65 inch LCD/Plasma to a 55 inch OLED? How was it? Any regrets?

I went from a 60" LED as my main back to a 50" plasma as the picture was so much better. Took a week or two, but for me, picture quality is way more important than size.

When I get an OLED I'll go 65" again I think, but the 50" is just fine for now

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Any trust in these LG B6 65" Used Sellers on Amazon that say their TVs are Brand New factory sealed yet they list them as Used - Like New. They are like $500 cheaper than Amazon's price.

J-P

Neo Member
You guys really need to contact Cleveland AV (formerly Cleveland Plasma). I paid well under $3,000 for my b6 65. You just need to email or call to get the price. You're welcome

BumRush

You guys really need to contact Cleveland AV (formerly Cleveland Plasma). I paid well under $3,000 for my b6 65. You just need to email or call to get the price. You're welcome

How are their return / exchange policies? Warranty? etc.

Midas

Interesting. Thanks!

And that is also why prices can rise again, LG give a nice price for a month, stores buy a couple of sets, sell them at a low price and when they want to replenish - the nice price is gone, and they need to buy at the standard list price.

This and the prior thing is how it works in Europe. It might be different in the states but I kind of think it's all the same. All vendors I've ever worked with, works like this. Sometime they even give special resellers the campaign price as a bid price prior to launch the campaign for all resellers, so they will be first with the new fancy price for a week or so.

Sanctuary

How are their return / exchange policies? Warranty? etc.

I bought my B6 from them in July. Because of the $500 less (at the time) I was getting the TV compared to pretty much anyone on Amazon or Best Buy, the owner straight up told me that you can't return it if it works. The only way to return it is if it arrives at your door with a malfunction or noticeable physical damage. If something happens over the course of the next few months, you'll have to contact LG. He also won't let you return it if there are any dead pixels, although he said that the amount of TVs and monitors that actually have dead pixels seems higher than it really is due to the nature of the internet.

Regardless, mine arrived without any problems, and I still have no issues.

BumRush

I bought my B6 from them in July. Because of the $500 less (at the time) I was getting the TV compared to pretty much anyone on Amazon or Best Buy, the owner straight up told me that you can't return it if it works. The only way to return it is if it arrives at your door with a malfunction or noticeable physical damage. If something happens over the course of the next few months, you'll have to contact LG. He also won't let you return it if there are any dead pixels, although he said that the amount of TVs and monitors that actually have dead pixels seems higher than it really is due to the nature of the internet.

Glad you got a great panel, but that seems a little risky...I'd hate to drop $3K+ and have dead pixels.

Yukstin

Glad you got a great panel, but that seems a little risky...I'd hate to drop $3K+ and have dead pixels.

You do have a one year warranty from LG with the TV. If you have panel issues, LG can service your TV. There are extended warranties out there for purchase as well if you would like additional protection. I've heard Costco has a good extended warranty for purchase: https://www.costco.com/squaretrade-tv.html.

I've purchase two TVs from Cleveland AV and haven't had any issues with either purchase. To me saving the $500+ is worth it.

Kyoufu

I've noticed that warranties in the US for TVs are pretty poor in comparison to UK. Over here, I have 6 years free warranty for my E6.

A few more pics from the b6, in HDR mode (so the highlights are blownout):

1eQ5SRY.jpg

edd5baA.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

GO9vs1V.jpg

iBVrZjJ.jpg

KillGore

A few more pics from the b6, in HDR mode (so the highlights are blownout):

I said wow

Source? Where do these scenes come from? Movie? Show? Demo? Youtube?

So the B6 65 inch got a $500 cut for the superbowl... where's the cut on the 55 inch? My wallet is sweating with anticipation.

55 inch already got a $500 price reduction last week. Not sure if it'll go lower. Lowest it has been is $1,800 in November, at least in the big chains.

Sources for the pics:

Amazon Prime Video:
Van Gogh: Brush with Genius in 4K+HDR
and
The Grand Tour S01E01 in 4k+HDR
A few more:

I find the HDR more important than 4k in terms of visual impact. This changes so much that I don't want to see anything without it. Can't wait for live HDR transmissions (HLG).

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I just received and setup my new OLED65E6P. The first thing I did after updating the TV to the 4.30.95 update was try to play First Light. In the options menu of the game and the PS4 it said that HDR was unavailable on my TV. What's up with that?

BumRush

You do have a one year warranty from LG with the TV. If you have panel issues, LG can service your TV. There are extended warranties out there for purchase as well if you would like additional protection. I've heard Costco has a good extended warranty for purchase: https://www.costco.com/squaretrade-tv.html.

I've purchase two TVs from Cleveland AV and haven't had any issues with either purchase. To me saving the $500+ is worth it.

Will LG service for dead pixels?

Geneijin

I just received and setup my new OLED65E6P. The first thing I did after updating the TV to the 4.30.95 update was try to play First Light. In the options menu of the game and the PS4 it said that HDR was unavailable on my TV. What's up with that?
Did you enable Ultra HD Deep Color for that HDMI port in use by the PS4?

Was able to get a 940D and a Denon X3300 for a good price. Too good to pass up really.

I'll get an OLED when I can get a 75" for a decent price. SMH at the price of the 77".

NYR

I am so fucking pissed.

I bought an HDMI Certified cable, thinking it might help with the HDMI handshake issue on my PS4 Pro and my LG E6.

No luck, Blu Rays will still make the screen go black or will flicker, pretty pissed as this only occurs on Blu Rays, 4K content on Netflix works fine. Really getting frustrated, this is a fucking $7000 CAD TV. Going to send LG an email and a video, doubt anything happens.

Looks nice, even though I know it's hard for it to translate onto the web. How are you liking it, though?
Love it!

But like I said, 90% of the time it's like a 40% improvement of what I had because live TV and even normal movies can't match yet what the set can do.
When you switch to HDR it's like an 150% improvent right there, night and day difference. It's like lifting a veil from normal SDR content and seeing the real thing.

KillGore

I am so fucking pissed.

I bought an HDMI Certified cable, thinking it might help with the HDMI handshake issue on my PS4 Pro and my LG E6.

No luck, Blu Rays will still make the screen go black or will flicker, pretty pissed as this only occurs on Blu Rays, 4K content on Netflix works fine. Really getting frustrated, this is a fucking $7000 CAD TV. Going to send LG an email and a video, doubt anything happens.

Is it just an issue with the PS4 Pro? If I buy a B6, will I be able to play regular blurays on my xbox one s without a problem?

BumRush

I close the 31st. The wait is killing me. Smh

Congratulations. Did you get a new TV for the place?

Thanks bud! No new TV yet. The goal is to wait a year and get a new OLED for the living room and a projector for the basement.

I have a plasma that is still going strong, and I hope it does for one more year!

holygeesus

Banned
I wonder how the Brexit news today is likely to impact on the price for new OLEDs due out this year? I have a feeling it is not going to be pretty :/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The 65" Sony 930D's are $1798 through every major store right now.

Edit: The 65" Z9D is also $4998 since yesterday.

I need some information guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think I am finally going to enter the world of 4K finally and upgrade from my trusty ol' Sony KDL46711 and Toshiba 46 inch 1080p LED's which are both still going pretty strong even though they are nearly 8 years old. I narrowed it down to the OLED 4K 55 inch B6 and the Sony X930D 55 inch for my bedroom. I also like Samsung as well, but we already have a KU7000 4K 49 inch for another bedroom and I kind of wanted to switch it up a little for my room. I know OLED is the best and I am leaning towards that the most honestly, but I am wondering if it is almost $1000 better than the Sony X930D which I can procure for almost twice as cheap as the OLED which would be good enough for me for now I would imagine coming from a 46 inch 1080P TV.

The only thing that really perturbs me about the Sony is it will be mostly used for gaming and then movies/television watching and I heard horror stories and negative reviews about the dreaded input lag even after the patch, especially in 4K HDR mode and for online gaming. Is it all hyperbole or is the Sony X930D really that bad for gaming? Some people say it is virtually unplayable in 4K HDR mode even for casual play while others say they can hardly notice it. Wish I could test it for myself. :( Does anyone here game heavily on the Sony X930D by any chance? I do play most types of games including fighting games and play online occasionally. I want to get a new TV preferably this month or maybe next month around Super Bowl time, but I am having a hard time deciding between these two TV's. Spending $2000 on a TV is a little hard to swallow and that is why I am thinking about getting the Sony. If that input lag is really that excruciatingly bad and the OLED is really a noticeable to significant upgrade in picture quality, maybe I should just go OLED even if it means spending nearly double and call it a day.

Thanks bud! No new TV yet. The goal is to wait a year and get a new OLED for the living room and a projector for the basement.

I have a plasma that is still going strong, and I hope it does for one more year!

I'm getting the 940D for now and in about 2 years, I'll upgrade to whatever the latest and greatest is. My den has huge windows and a sliding glass door, so the brightness might be a problem for OLED. I am gonna put something great in the loft down the line though.

I'm sure your plasma will hold on. Jealous of your basement. Cali houses just don't offer that

NYR

Is it just an issue with the PS4 Pro? If I buy a B6, will I be able to play regular blurays on my xbox one s without a problem?

That is what eats at me and adds to my frustration, the B6 had a patch to fix this very issue! You'll be fine with a B6, there are no handshake issues anymore because of the firmware patch, just with the C6/E6 right now.

Kyoufu

OLED owners: Any of you also having bandwidth issues with Amazon Prime? Can't get The Man in the High Castle to play in 4K. It was fine last night. :/

NYR

OLED owners: Any of you also having bandwidth issues with Amazon Prime? Can't get The Man in the High Castle to play in 4K. It was fine last night. :/

I have trouble scaling to Ultra HD, the app is utter shit. I can play Netflix in 4K right away but Amazon is like the old days of YouTube watching it improve the picture quality slowly progressively get better as you play.

J-P

Neo Member

Mine works fine. Takes maybe a minute to get to full 4K. I have around 60-70 mbs down though

BumRush

I'm getting the 940D for now and in about 2 years, I'll upgrade to whatever the latest and greatest is. My den has huge windows and a sliding glass door, so the brightness might be a problem for OLED. I am gonna put something great in the loft down the line though.

I'm sure your plasma will hold on. Jealous of your basement. Cali houses just don't offer that

Great plan. The 940D is an amazing tv.

The basement is a giant 1,200 square foot rectangle with 8' ceilings. Currently unfinished, which I prefer, since my wife and I will be able to do it the way we want.

Great plan. The 940D is an amazing tv.

The basement is a giant 1,200 square foot rectangle with 8' ceilings. Currently unfinished, which I prefer, since my wife and I will be able to do it the way we want.

That sounds great. My sister has a similar sized basement. They're about to start work on it pretty soon. Pretty much going to make it a downstairs house /apt

Kyoufu

I have trouble scaling to Ultra HD, the app is utter shit. I can play Netflix in 4K right away but Amazon is like the old days of YouTube watching it improve the picture quality slowly progressively get better as you play.

Mine works fine. Takes maybe a minute to get to full 4K. I have around 60-70 mbs down though

Looks like I had to wait a minute for it to reach 4K. Netflix is always instant.

I honestly loathe the Amazon app.

BumRush

That sounds great. My sister has a similar sized basement. They're about to start work on it pretty soon. Pretty much going to make it a downstairs house /apt

I'll post pics when we get in! Good luck on your closing later in the month. Such a stressful time leading up to it, right?

J-P

Neo Member
Looks like I had to wait a minute for it to reach 4K. Netflix is always instant.

I honestly loathe the Amazon app.

The app isn't the best for sure but the smart TV overall on the b6 is amazing. Super responsive and great UI

I'll post pics when we get in! Good luck on your closing later in the month. Such a stressful time leading up to it, right?

Man. They keep asking for statements, letters, and every thing under the sun. I just want to get in my house and watch my TV. I've been window shopping everything to get my mind off the process. I was gonna give myself the Z9D as a gift, but decided against it. I can sit here and dream about a crystal LCD soon enough. They'll be out in a few years right?

BumRush

Man. They keep asking for statements, letters, and every thing under the sun. I just want to get in my house and watch my TV. I've been window shopping everything to get my mind off the process. I was gonna give myself the Z9D as a gift, but decided against it. I can sit here and dream about a crystal LCD soon enough. They'll be out in a few years right?

Haha! Agreed.

muu

If you guys aren't aware, Walmart is clearing out their in-store inventory of older TVs right now. I ended up biting on a Sony KDL60W610B, a 60" equivalent of the W630B which is a 1080P 120Hz panel, 23ms input lag in 1080p according to reviews. This was a floor model that ended up being $300 (+$30 for extended warranty) out the door, and using discover price match there's a chance of it becoming $199. Also found a 60" Vizio (D60-D3) sold by Target that could potentially be price matched to $154, among other deals.

I was a little hesitant about buying into OLED at this point, and with this purchase I'm definitely good for another few years while they figure everything out and 4K becomes more standard. If you're like me and mostly just wanted a bigger (not necessarily better) display it may be worth taking a look.

Top Bottom