• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

TheBoss1

He specifically asked for a bargain set to hold him over til 2018 models. He doesn't need a future proof a feature list, and nothing in his price range is going to have it all. The 43" 800D costs $650. Even if he wanted to pay a $150 premium for something much smaller, the 40" Samsung 6290 for $289 is a much better buy. The Sony's are ridiculously over priced for marginally expanded color, and they're not even particularly future proof as their HDR performance is poor at best (sub-400 nit light peak).
He said $500-$600. That would be $50 above his price range, not $150. That's 3x as much. Also, he never said anything about size being important. Only thing he asked was which TV was the best 4K TV around that price range.

Wide color gamut is way more essential that a +50 difference in peak brightness. Nits are important but it isn't everything when it comes to HDR. I'd understand if we were comparing KS8000 levels of brightness to the X800D but we're not. This TV is better than any TV in it's price range.

gogojira

So my Best Buy has the 55" b6p for 1799 through Saturday. I plan to pick it up. Maybe this isn't universal but I'm the second one to see this price in store.

So my Best Buy has the 55" b6p for 1799 through Saturday. I plan to pick it up. Maybe this isn't universal but I'm the second one to see this price in store.

Is the C6 on sale as well? I wonder if my local best buy dropped the price on my C6. Need a price adjustment

is 3k still the best price for a 65" b6? think it will drop at all within the next 30 days?

I'm in a situation where I am moving to a location with no TV, so need to buy something pretty much asap. Not sure if I should just bite the bullet and grab a b6 or buy a cheapo 100 - 200 tv used and wait a month. the b7 doesn't seem like much of an upgrade

gogojira

Yup. I got the 65 inch last week. Was about to price match it if it had dropped

Sorry, didn't take note of the C6. I should be back in this week and I'll look out for it.

Do you like the curved look or was it for the 3D support? I basically just want a flat surface but maybe I'm wrong and should be looking at picking up the c6 instead.

Could anyone reassure me this is a decent set?

Panasonic TX-50DX700B - £645

Review

Sits right at the top of my budget, but seems like money fairly well spent. Very interested to hear any educated alternatives :D

Sky Chief

Based on the C7 pricing I'm expecting the 65" B7 to be $3000-3500. It's hard to justify a 65" B6 unless it's about $2500. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Regardless, I'm waiting for the A1E to drop before I decide which TV I'm going to buy

Kyoufu

Based on the C7 pricing I'm expecting the 65" B7 to be $3000-3500. It's hard to justify a 65" B6 unless it's about $2500. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Regardless, I'm waiting for the A1E to drop before I decide which TV I'm going to buy

I think the A1E looks super sexy, but my concern is the Android OS experience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think the A1E looks super sexy, but my concern is the Android OS experience.

What are you concerned about? It's fine so far for me. I have a direct Netflix button on the remote, the 'TV' button can be set to directly go to any HDMI input I choose, and the 'discover' button brings up a custom list of installed apps. Also works as a chromecast destination and Spotify connect

Going through the main front end can be a little clumsy wig recommendations and featured apps, but once you've tuned it up it's pretty nice

Kyoufu

What are you concerned about? It's fine so far for me. I have a direct Netflix button on the remote, the 'TV' button can be set to directly go to any HDMI input I choose, and the 'discover' button brings up a custom list of installed apps. Also works as a chromecast destination and Spotify connect

Going through the main front end can be a little clumsy wig recommendations and featured apps, but once you've tuned it up it's pretty nice

ZD9/Z9D had (has?) performance/stability issues.

mercboyz

Hi folks. I was able to pick up an LG E6 over the weekend that is being delivered on Friday. I was wondering if anyone had any initial settings to start off the tv with or day 1 must do's? Thanks in advanced!

Hi folks. I was able to pick up an LG E6 over the weekend that is being delivered on Friday. I was wondering if anyone had any initial settings to start off the tv with or day 1 must do's? Thanks in advanced!

Not really any "must do" other than update the firmware and look up recommended calibrations and adjust with your own eye as time goes on unless you plan to pay for professional calibration. It's very , very , very hard to have long image retention on LG OLEDs unless you are grossly irresponsible. So relax and enjoy!

Got the OLED B6, but does anybody else notice a hissing noise sometimes?

Found this thread of people having the same issues:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-b6-oled-tv-owners-and-discussion-thread-part-4.2062295/page-99

Yes, I have that issue with my Jan2017 B6. It only affects the internal speakers and seems to be pretty random in terms of occurrence and intensity. Powering the tv off and on may chance the intensity of the sound or remove it altogether, however, you might have to do it several times. Seems to be disappointingly common issue as far as google tells me.
Since I don't actually use the internal speakers and my panel is flawless I don't really want to return my set. I haven't decided yet though.

Dave_6

My B6 is also a January build but I don't use the internal speakers so I haven't noticed the hissing sound if it does it.

Just got my 55" B6 this morning and it is such an amazing upgrade from my 9 year old Sony 40" LCD.

Only complaints are that I wish the stand rotated and the interface could be a little faster, but it is good enough for Netflix and Amazon so far. Plex worked to start a movie, but when I tried to skip around it froze (a few times). No problems with the internal speakers so far.

But most importantly, the picture is just incredible. Watched an episode of Luke Cage over lunch and played a little Dark Souls 3. Looking forward to watching and playing more tonight.

AddiF

I got a PS4 Pro that keeps crashing and I'm on Pro number two actually. Returned the first one and got a new Pro. But yeah.. keeps crashing in 4K mode in Watch dogs 2 and Rise of the tomb raider. Deep color is on for all HDMI inputs. Is it SOMEHOW possible the E6 is at fault? Trying to figure this annoyance out.

Kyoufu

I got a PS4 Pro that keeps crashing and I'm on Pro number two actually. Returned the first one and got a new Pro. But yeah.. keeps crashing in 4K mode in Watch dogs 2 and Rise of the tomb raider. Deep color is on for all HDMI inputs. Is it SOMEHOW possible the E6 is at fault? Trying to figure this annoyance out.

Crashing as in, hard locking? Application error?

AddiF

Crashing as in, hard locking? Application error?

I can usually play the games in 4K mode for roughly 1 to 5 minutes. Sometime they crash at the menu screen. The console freezes with an image stuck on the screen and a sound from the game loops for a few seconds and then stops. Sometimes the image disappears and the blue report error message appears but sometimes I have to unplug the console. It just stays frozen. Had a checkerboard pattern cover a quarter of my screen for a few seconds after the frozen image disappears, a few times.

I have no idea whats going on.

mercboyz

Not really any "must do" other than update the firmware and look up recommended calibrations and adjust with your own eye as time goes on unless you plan to pay for professional calibration. It's very , very , very hard to have long image retention on LG OLEDs unless you are grossly irresponsible. So relax and enjoy!

Awesome. Everyone's pics on here has gotten me super excited to start watching a ton of content.

Trying to find some recommended calibrations (via rtings.com and avs Forums). Professional calibration is probably down the line. Harder question is to play Pacific Rim or Mad Max first. lol

Thanks!

Kyoufu

I can usually play the games in 4K mode for roughly 1 to 5 minutes. Sometime they crash at the menu screen. The console freezes with an image stuck on the screen and a sound from the game loops for a few seconds and then stops. Sometimes the image disappears and the blue report error message appears but sometimes I have to unplug the console. It just stays frozen. Had a checkerboard pattern cover a quarter of my screen for a few seconds after the frozen image disappears, a few times.

I have no idea whats going on.

Are you using your own HDD/SSHD? The TV wouldn't be doing that. It's definitely the console. Have you tried rebuilding database and/or initialising firmware for a reinstall?

AddiF

Are you using your own HDD/SSHD? The TV wouldn't be doing that. It's definitely the console. Have you tried rebuilding database and/or initialising firmware for a reinstall?

No using the standard 1TB that came in it. Gonna try to rebuild the database and then initialize. This is seriously frustrating.

BumRush

I already beat ffxv on my PS4 Pro. Is it worth looking at again?

Probably not yet. They're doing a Pro update on the 21st that targets 1080p/60 and raises the level cap to 120 among other things.

I was just blown away by how it looks on a Pro in 1080p, I can imagine 4K with HDR being sick

Top Bottom