• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Looking at tvs and I really like the Vizio M-series. Price is an issue so we decided to keep it around $800. Is the M-series any good? I saw that it got good reviews on most sites.

Any problems with hdr with a PS4? I saw Vizio updated their firmware to include hdr10.

I'm also thinking about an M series. Would like to hear impressions of the HDR version once you get it.

I bought a Vizio M55-D1 to replace my 10 years old TV, I would have love to buy the Samsung ks8000 but that TV is 1000$ more here (Canada) way out of my budget.

It seems this TV does everything OK to good, I should be getting it by Tuesday, will be reporting back with impressions.

LilJoka

Can anyone help me with getting HDMI ARC working?

I have this
Yamaha RX A1010 - HDMI out ARC - HDMI cable - HDMI 2 ARC input - LG OLED

I enabled HDMI Control on my amp and ARC.
Set the tv to output via HDMI ARC. Enabled CEC (SIMPLINK).

When I use the tv smart apps I don't get any sound =/ I'm not really sure what should be selected on my amp when I want ARC.

Am I doing this right??

Dave_6

I'm having the washed out issue with the Mad Max UHD Blu-ray. My player is the Xbox One S and it's hooked up to my new LG B6. I've tried out the Shallows, Deadpool, Sully, Star Trek Beyond and the Revenant and they all work properly and look spectacular. Mad Max loads and plays fine, it's just completely flat and washed out looking.

gogojira

So when do the Super Bowl sales happen? It's a yearly thing, right? I need the B6 55" to get as close to $1500 as possible, haha.

TLZ

Banned
You on a C6?

Yes :)

Are you both actually playing this game though? If so, what's up with when you enter a diner that suddenly gets really dim as you're entering and then super bright once you're inside? As you walk in the screen gets darker as though there's a storm outside, despite it being really bright. Similarly, if you're inside a diner at night and look outside, it can be ridiculously dark. Almost, but not quite pitch black. As soon as you exit the door though, it gets a lot brighter (as bright as a night with clear skies and a full moon anyway).

I've only played the demo so unsure if the full game is exactly the same.

Does anyone here have the Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver? I'm looking to replace my existing Onkyo (636) with something moderately priced but that will also be relatively future proof'd. I feel like I routinely get burned on receivers that end up lacking a feature within 2 years but I don't want to spend a grand on a receiver when I don't need it to be as powerful as those tend to be.

Is there any tech on the horizon I should be wary of and try to anticipate or will this check all those boxes? Is a THX certified receiver worth the extra money?

This isn't directly TV related and if there is a better spot for it please let me know.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On my Sony 55xd9305 what setting should I adjust to try and reduce blocky blacks? I guess it's poor source material (Hd TV channels usually) but it is quite annoying.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Is this thread for Tvs only? I'm looking for either monitor or TV that is good for rhythm gaming. I want very low input lag. I haven't kept up at all with where we're at in regards to that with current tech, but I'd like something similar to a CRT

DAHGAMING

Quick question regarding hdr. With an 8bit panel is there still an improvement on say ps4 pro over a non hdr tv? I know 10bit is true hdr but im just wondering if 8bit shows any improvment.

Does anyone here have the Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver? I'm looking to replace my existing Onkyo (636) with something moderately priced but that will also be relatively future proof'd. I feel like I routinely get burned on receivers that end up lacking a feature within 2 years but I don't want to spend a grand on a receiver when I don't need it to be as powerful as those tend to be.

Is there any tech on the horizon I should be wary of and try to anticipate or will this check all those boxes? Is a THX certified receiver worth the extra money?

This isn't directly TV related and if there is a better spot for it please let me know.

Check out this thread.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1275630&page=100000

TheBoss1

Ahead of CES 2017, there were rumors that Sony would launch these new OLED TVs at $2000 and $3000 dollars for the 55" and 65" sizes, respectively. We asked everyone we could find from Sony at CES and the closest we came to a price was Motoi Kawamura who told us to expect a ”price on the same level as Z9D". That certainly does not sound like 65" at $3000 so we recommend that everyone reset their expectations.

This does not sound like good news but I shouldn't be surprised. Sony always charge a premium for their TVs and this should be no exception. Let's just hope the intitial rumors were true.

First look at Sony's A1 OLED & 2017 high-end LCDs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Snarky answer: Switch to OTA and high quality streaming solutions.

This is cable HD. Its about as good as you can get other than 4k streaming (which is very limited).

OTA digital is shitty quality in the UK because they want to squeeze lots of channels into the available space. And analogue OTA was shut off a few years ago.

Caleb187

I've got an annoying problem with the 55 b6 and my receiver trying to communicate via HDMI-CEC. I've got my pc hooked to my receiver via HDMI and ARC enabled.

Communication over HDMI works great for the most part, ARC is feeding audio from the tv to the receiver, and turning on and off the tv also turns on and off the receiver. However when turning on the tv, it sends a signal to the receiver to immediately change to av1. This means I see a picture from my PC but audio is set to ARC output. I then have to manually switch the receiver input to the pc HDMI to get pc audio. I think it's because it doesn't see CEC on the pc connection so it defaults to ARC output. There's no way to stop this except to disable CEC and plug in an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

I'm thinking buying a CEC injector for the pc could solve this because the tv would then see CEC on the pc connection and not send the signal to switch to ARC output, but that's a $50 investment for an assumption that might not be true. Really LG needs to push a firmware update that doesn't change to ARC output until the user switches to a TV app, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Weevilone

This is cable HD. Its about as good as you can get other than 4k streaming (which is very limited).

OTA digital is shitty quality in the UK because they want to squeeze lots of channels into the available space. And analogue OTA was shut off a few years ago.

That's interesting. Generally in the USA the situation is reversed. Cable and Satellite HD is far more compressed than OTA.

wege12

I decided that I'm going to wait for the 2018 OLEDs before I purchase one. So with that in mind, I'm thinking about buying a stop gap TV now since I currently have a 2008 Toshiba LCD. So what is the best 4k television I could buy for around $500-600 ish? I'm a gamer if that matters.

I'm also thinking about an M series. Would like to hear impressions of the HDR version once you get it.

Nice. It's getting delivered on Friday, partially because my car is too small but mostly because I have a busy week coming up.

I don't have a uhd blu-ray player (yet), but I will definitely report back on how it looks with my OG PS4.

Haint

I decided that I'm going to wait for the 2018 OLEDs before I purchase one. So with that in mind, I'm thinking about buying a stop gap TV now since I currently have a 2008 Toshiba LCD. So what is the best 4k television I could buy for around $500-600 ish? I'm a gamer if that matters.

The $499 55" Samsung 6300 at Target right now (I'm sure BB, Amazon, Etc will price match), nothing else is even in the same ballpark for overall quality and value.

Just received my 55B6D, currently letting it acclimate to room temperature. I can't quite tell if there is a protective film on the screen that I'm supposed to peel of. Anyone able to chime in?

TheBoss1

The $499 55" Samsung 6300 at Target right now (I'm sure BB, Amazon, Etc will price match), nothing else is even in the same ballpark for overall quality and value.

From Rtings:
The Samsung KU6300 provides similar picture quality, at a similar price. Unfortunately the motion handling isn't quite as good as the Sony X800D, and there is no support of a wide color gamut for HDR content. The Sony X800D provides better overall performance, and is the better pick.

Only way I would consider that Samsung is because it's on sale at the moment and slightly lower input lag.

Hisense 55h8c 4k $499 at BB. Real HDR with a 10-bit panel and local dimming to boot. Picture looks amazing and sound isn't bad at all.

Edit: and a 4 year warranty!

I feel like bumping all of the posts that busted my ass saying these TVs would not come close to LG OLED pricing and there was no way they would price them below LG OLEDs.

Ummm you quoted an article saying they're going to be priced like the Z9...so shouldn't we be busting your balls?

TheBoss1

Wow, I'm shocked!

lol at anyone believing Sony would launch premium OLEDs for $2000

I feel like bumping all of the posts that busted my ass saying these TVs would not come close to LG OLED pricing and there was no way they would price them below LG OLEDs.

Well this is as much a rumor as the $2000/3000 price point. Don't jump the gun just yet lol.

Barrett2

Are there any Super Bowl type sales for the LG B6? I see it listed for approx $1400 at sites like "east coast TVs" or "EbuyUSA" but I'm assuming those are sites I should stay away from? In other words, I'm assuming best deal I could hope for on the B6 is probably around $1700 for the near future?

gogojira

Are there any Super Bowl type sales for the LG B6? I see it listed for approx $1400 at sites like "east coast TVs" or "EbuyUSA" but I'm assuming those are sites I should stay away from? In other words, I'm assuming best deal I could hope for on the B6 is probably around $1700 for the near future?

We're looking at the same damn thing, lol. The best deal I see is Amazon going in and out of a sale for like $1897 or so with a $150 gift card.

My magic number is $1700 which it has hit before. Watching like a hawk right now.

I'm foolishly hoping the 65" will hit $2,500. If it isn't happening before super bowl weekend, I guess it isn't happening.

Yukstin

I'm foolishly hoping the 65" will hit $2,500. If it isn't happening before super bowl weekend, I guess it isn't happening.

They are $2,600 ish on Ebay right now from top rated vendors. You should also check with Cleveland AV, they could be the same price or lower.

It was $1600 on Newegg (sold by Beach Camera) last weekend, and Amazon price matched. I imagine it will go on sale between now and when the B7 comes out a few more times. Stay away from those sellers.

It was $2400 for a few days a couple of days ago.
I had linked to earlier.

Huh,didn't see that apparently. What retailer?

They are $2,600 ish on Ebay right now from top rated vendors. You should also check with Cleveland AV, they could be the same price or lower.

I was hoping a local retailer would have it, not sure I want to go with an online order.

Jesus... really should have hopped on the 65" when they dropped it to 1900.... CAD during boxing day.

Was that just in CAD though? I'm US.

Ein Bear

Still torn on which TV to get, I'm thinking of going for a 65" (I currently game on a 37", 2010 Samsung)

I really want to get one of the LG OLEDs, but they literally cost about £1200 more than the Samsung KS7000 in the UK. I know that OLED is better (I have an OLED tablet which looks insane)... but are they seriously that much better? I just don't know if I can justify that level of extra cost. I was toying with the idea of grabbing a 55" B6 instead, but that's still a couple of hundred pounds more expensive than the Samsung, and it's 10" smaller.

Still torn on which TV to get, I'm thinking of going for a 65" (I currently game on a 37", 2010 Samsung)

I really want to get one of the LG OLEDs, but they literally cost about £1200 more than the Samsung KS7000 in the UK. I know that OLED is better (I have an OLED tablet which looks insane)... but are they seriously that much better? I just don't know if I can justify that level of extra cost.
The 55B6 can be had for £1600.

Haint

From Rtings:

Only way I would consider that Samsung is because it's on sale at the moment and slightly lower input lag.

He specifically asked for a bargain set to hold him over til 2018 models. He doesn't need a future proof a feature list, and nothing in his price range is going to have it all. The 43" 800D costs $650. Even if he wanted to pay a $150 premium for something much smaller, the 40" Samsung 6290 for $289 is a much better buy. The Sony's are ridiculously over priced for marginally expanded color, and they're not even particularly future proof as their HDR performance is poor at best (sub-400 nit light peak).

Hisense 55h8c 4k $499 at BB. Real HDR with a 10-bit panel and local dimming to boot. Picture looks amazing and sound isn't bad at all.

Edit: and a 4 year warranty!

The 8C is a feature match for the 6300 but has much higher input lag and poorer static/native contrast. The local dimming has too few zones to be worthwhile, reviews suggest turning it off as it's slow to activate. They both lack expanded gamut support and have mediocre peak light output, so neither is anymore "Real HDR" than the other.

Kambing

Welp i bought the 55B6 OLED to use as a desktop monitor, currently have the 65C6 in the living room. It could be just placebo, but perhaps due to the lower input lag, i am owning much more than i usually do in UC4 MP :p. I guess for me 7-8 ms does make a difference! Also suprising was how the 'de blur' setting only appears to increase input lag to around 50 ms (have no measurements), and completely playable for slower games. Unlike the C6, with 'de blur' on there is no way in hell i can play a game.

The not so good is that for desktop use, 55 inches is just way to god damn big lol. It's really unfortunate that LG will no longer make curved OLED's, it would make using a 55 inch screen more tolerable. Scaling really does not work well for me with Windows at 4k or at this size, so i am not using any scaling and only occupying the middle third of the display. Works well with games though, talk about immersion, feels like i am playing on an IMAX screen.

The last thing to note is that i am unable to see any pixels on the screen, even sitting at 4 feet away! The 1080p OLED model was horrible up close in comparison. For $1500 shipped via iElectrica on ebay, she's a keeper though.

Geneijin

I really want to get one of the LG OLEDs, but they literally cost about £1200 more than the Samsung KS7000 in the UK. I know that OLED is better (I have an OLED tablet which looks insane)... but are they seriously that much better? I just don't know if I can justify that level of extra cost. I was toying with the idea of grabbing a 55" B6 instead, but that's still a couple of hundred pounds more expensive than the Samsung, and it's 10" smaller.
You've already decided on the Samsung every time you mention the screen size. Get the Samsung.

I rather get a better picture though, so I opted for the OLED55C6P over a bigger KS8000 here in the U.S.

Kawika

We're looking at the same damn thing, lol. The best deal I see is Amazon going in and out of a sale for like $1897 or so with a $150 gift card.

My magic number is $1700 which it has hit before. Watching like a hawk right now.

So I know the website says different, but I was in best buy today and they had this for $1700. They didn't have it for the same price as the website says. I am not sure if its a hush hush sale or my best buy is trying to push out inventory... none the less

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5252800.p?skuId=5252800

Geneijin

gogojira

So I know the website says different, but I was in best buy today and they had this for $1700. They didn't have it for the same price as the website says. I am not sure if its a hush hush sale or my best buy is trying to push out inventory... none the less

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5252800.p?skuId=5252800

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. I'll swing by tomorrow and see if I'm lucky enough to see it at the same price. It wasn't an open box item?

Top Bottom