• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Omg, wth at these three videos. I can't stop laughing. You have to know some WTA jokes, but its still pretty funny in a bad way. Ivanovic: "Why doesn't Indian Wells give wildcards to indian players?" lmao.

Shame indeed, I would like to see her back in action. :(

lol Sharapova talking about going to a party with Martina Hingis and she found a log of sugar on the table and asked if someone was baking a cake.

LuuKyK

So I am following this match on the live score app and Ivo Karlovic is about to hit 40 aces. Wtf. That must be a new revord or something right? For a three set game at least.

Oh and I noticed he is sort of a lessor Isner. He goes to tie breaks in every match he plays. lol

lol Sharapova talking about going to a party with Martina Hingis and she found a log of sugar on the table and asked if someone was baking a cake.

Lol its hilarious.

The Svetlana Dementieva part also made me laugh.

So I am following this match on the live score app and Ivo Karlovic is about to hit 40 aces. Wtf. That must be a new revord or something right? For a three set game at least.

Oh and I noticed he is sort of a lessor Isner. He goes to tie breaks in every match he plays. lol

Lol its hilarious.

The Svetlana Dementieva part also made me laugh.

Bitch are you even in the top 100? Bye Felicia!

MIMIC

Banned
So it was my fucking racket -___________- None of that grip crap was necessary, lol

I pulled a Federer, got a new racket with a larger head size (and a shorter racket since I apparently prefer it that way) and bam!

Such a simple solution.

szaromir

Banned
Switzerland lost their Fed Cup tie against France but Belinda Bencic won her two matches. She surely is a player to watch. Also, Monfils won a title, improving ever so slightly his record in finals.

For future reference, I recommend this article on what difference head sizes, string patterns and weight does:
http://www.tacticaltennisblog.com/ta...tennis-racket/
Interesting article. BTW how often do you people restring your racket(s)?

Diamond

Also, Monfils won a title, improving ever so slightly his record in finals.

Unlike many french vs french matches, it was a very nice match between him and Gasquet and Gael played really well. Hope he manages to maintain this level longer than he usually does.

Just saw an interesting video on his post-injury training 2 years ago, was fun to watch.

Interesting article. BTW how often do you people restring your racket(s)?

Not very often. I go with how I feel when I hit the ball, but it wouldn't hurt to be a little more serious about it. A friend has to change every month or so because he has a big topspin which constantly breaks the strings. Good side is he HAS to do it often, otherwise he can't play !

aFIGurANT

The #113 seed Thiem is taking Murray to three sets in the ABN AMRO 500. Just plain beasting the "Wimbledon champion" on the tennis channel last set, 6-3.

Reyne

Well, he has talent anyway and still got time to develop his game. Impressed with what I have seen from him so far.

Remember number one junior Thiemo De Bakker? Lol

Harrison and Young got absolutes blitzed in fuxking Memphis. The future of American tennis everyone! How old is Ryan's bro now?

Remember number one junior Thiemo De Bakker? Lol

Harrison and Young got absolutes blitzed in fuxking Memphis. The future of American tennis everyone! How old is Ryan's bro now?

He's still 19 but unfortunately he stopped growing at 5'10". As we know now, it's so hard for a guy under 6' to be successful on the tour these days. Ferrer is an outlier we may never see the likes of again.

The future of American tennis lies in the hands of Francis Tiafoe, Stefan Kozlov (currently only 5'10" but hopefully has one more growth spurt to come), and Michael Mmoh. All three of those kids are top 10 in the world Junior rankings, and none are older than 16, which is promising.

MIMIC

Banned
I was answering your question.

Only Gulbis can stop Gulbis
0NAyRSh.gif

MIMIC

Banned
Well Gulbis beat Gulbis =p

But seriously, I thought it was a decent match. Berdych was really strong on serve and on defense (didn't allow Gulbis to outhit him).

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well Gulbis beat Gulbis =p

But seriously, I thought it was a decent match. Berdych was really strong on serve and on defense (didn't allow Gulbis to outhit him).

The Gulbis upset+next match loss is almost as predictable as a Federer shank or a Nadal medical timeout. You should know better :p

MIMIC

Banned
Berdman wins in 2. Good for him.

Felt a little bad for Cilic. Both are 2 of my favorites, but since Cilic was the lower-ranked guy, I was pulling for him. But the result was NID.

In an effort to improve my game, I decided to record myself playing a couple of games during a practice match I played earlier tonight. It's one thing for someone to tell you something about your form is off, its another to actually see it. I'm not really stepping forward into my shots which is why I don't get much power on my ground strokes. It's correctable, I just need to make sure my weight is going forward not backwards or sideways. Easier said than done...

Anyways I put it on youtube if anyone cares to watch. I'm in the foreground, and yes I grunt on every shot. I used to be a quiet hitter, but then about 5 years ago I just started grunting like crazy. No opponent has ever complained though, fortunately. I'm playing a 17 year old kid here that has a solid game ( and one handed backhand ), and he ultimately beat me in this match 6-4, 7-5. I apologize for the downtime during points, as its unedited and as most tennis players know, a lot of time will be spent retrieving tennis balls after points!

Oh, and as I mentioned before, I'm a middle of the road NTRP 4.5 level player. So for those who are thinking about entering USTA tournaments, I'm a good example of a 4.5 level player.

Faith

Bad body movement, just way to stiff. You have to move your shoulder (pointing where you want the ball to drop) and use your knees to get more stability and accuracy.

And swing the racket back before the ball is on your side. You will have more time to prepare the shot which will lead to even more accuracy and much less unforced errors.

Btw, don't toss the ball too high when you serve. I know a lot of pro tennis players do it, but the ball will fall much faster trough your hitting zone when you do it. There is no point in tossing the ball 2 meters above your head.

Bad body movement, just way to stiff. You have to move your shoulder (pointing where you want the ball to drop) and use your knees to get more stability and accuracy.

And swing the racket back before the ball is on your side. You will have more time to prepare the shot which will lead to even more accuracy and much less unforced errors.

Btw, don't toss the ball too high when you serve. I know a lot of pro tennis players do it, but the ball will fall much faster trough your hitting zone when you do it. There is no point in tossing the ball 2 meters above your head.

Yeah I've definitely been told I need to get my racket back sooner, but obviously it still hasn't clicked for me. Its one of those things I need to keep manually reminding myself on the court to do until it becomes automatic. As for my body movement, I'm very inconsistent on that. I don't bend my knees enough on most shots to get balance, and I need to remember to follow through with my shoulders. I'll work on that, thanks for the critique!

MIMIC

Banned
In an effort to improve my game, I decided to record myself playing a couple of games during a practice match I played earlier tonight. It's one thing for someone to tell you something about your form is off, its another to actually see it. I'm not really stepping forward into my shots which is why I don't get much power on my ground strokes. It's correctable, I just need to make sure my weight is going forward not backwards or sideways. Easier said than done...

Anyways I put it on youtube if anyone cares to watch. I'm in the foreground, and yes I grunt on every shot. I used to be a quiet hitter, but then about 5 years ago I just started grunting like crazy. No opponent has ever complained though, fortunately. I'm playing a 17 year old kid here that has a solid game ( and one handed backhand ), and he ultimately beat me in this match 6-4, 7-5. I apologize for the downtime during points, as its unedited and as most tennis players know, a lot of time will be spent retrieving tennis balls after points!

Oh, and as I mentioned before, I'm a middle of the road NTRP 4.5 level player. So for those who are thinking about entering USTA tournaments, I'm a good example of a 4.5 level player.

I noticed you and I share a similar quirk: when the opponent nets a shot, we swing the racket anyway. And lol @ the grunting. POINT PENALTIES!! =p

That was a fun watch. I may upload one of my matches one day

I noticed you and I share a similar quirk: when the opponent nets a shot, we swing the racket anyway. And lol @ the grunting. POINT PENALTIES!! =p

That was a fun watch. I may upload one of my matches one day

Do it!!

You lost to THAT brah?

He's a pretty good player actually, and currently ranked in the top 100 among Juniors in the state of Texas via tennisrecruiting.net. He played in 2 tournaments last week and 8 matches over the course of 4 days so I think thats why he looked a little lethargic. But watch how smooth and easy his strokes are, you can tell he's a good player when he's focused in.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
That would be pretty cool if the Williams sisters played a final against each other in Dubai. I don't think it'd be much of a match, but it'd be cool to see.

Harrison is such a moonballing pusher. Oh my god. He has trouble passing yhe service line on his shots. Look what he did hanging out with Roddick.
Harrison looks like a dickless man trying to have sex out there. Just completely lost.

Top Bottom