• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Venus crushed Wozniaki. If Serena beats Cornet, we'll have a sister final....just like old times.

edit: Serena lost the first set to Cornet.
Williams going to over dramatic mode right now.

And I really can't believe you lost to that brah. I would legit beat the shit out of him. We have to play if you are ever in the area.

LuuKyK

Wtf @ this SI article putting tennis players as winter sport athletes. I can't stop laughing.

KeH1Lzj.jpg

http://tennis.si.com/2014/02/20/wta-winter-olympics-serena-williams-maria-sharapova/

There is one for the men too, but I can't find it now.

MIMIC

Banned
LOL @ those photos.

Also, Gulbis dismantled Gasquet 6-3. 6-2. I'm waiting for Gulbis to question why Gasquet is ranked in the top 10 :)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
this andujar character is playing some inspired tennis against nadal on clay.

edit: takes the first set 6-2. i give him about 7% chance he can keep this up. was already getting jitters while serving for the set, got a set point with a lucky net cord.

aFIGurANT

this andujar character is playing some inspired tennis against nadal on clay.

edit: takes the first set 6-2. i give him about 7% chance he can keep this up. was already getting jitters while serving for the set, got a set point with a lucky net cord.
That match was electric. 12-10 tie break in the third set for Nasal if people were wondering. Brazil was eating it up... That was the loudest I've heard a tennis stadium.

MIMIC

Banned
OK, seriously: being 5-0 in finals has to be some type of record.

Another day in the office for the GOAT =p Also, he enters the top 20 for the first time in his career, climbing to No. 18. The 17 amateurs ahead of him better get ready to move aside.

EDIT: Turns out it IS a record:

"It's a really nice small record for me," said Gulbis of his record in ATP World Tour finals. "5-0 is really good. I remember when I used to play Futures and Challengers, I think I lost maybe one or two finals. When I get into finals I really have good form and good confidence and play my best tennis. Today I was serving really well and in the tie-break I was feeling really, really confident.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/02/8/Marseille-Sunday-Gulbis-Tsonga.aspx

Reyne

Video of @rogerfederer’s unbelievable tweener-lob against Benjamin Becker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzU9i9P3WrQ

Fedgod

Hah. Federer just keeps producing. He seem confident at the moment so I am hoping for a good match against Djokovic in the semi.

Awesome. Still, no tweener will ever compare to that winner against Djokovic at the US Open to set up match point. I don't think I've ever heard the audience+announcers at a tennis match ever collectively lose their shit like that.

Yeah, its the GOAT tweener, no doubt. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJ0-1GGf5k

Faith

First of all I want to thank you for the support that is coming from all over the world. Of course, it is a sad moment for me. This is not what I planned when I was doing the tough preseason training in December, when I dreamed about having the chance of getting closer to the top players. However, it is not the first obstacle I find during my career. If I have learnt something, it's to get up after I fall.

The wrist problem has been worrying me for two years, with ups and downs, but always with the support of my team, my family, my friends and of course you, who stood always there during good and bad times. Despite this wrist issue and missing Roland Garros because of illness, I did pretty well and could equal my career-high singles ranking.

These days it's frustrating not being able to play like I could if I were healthy. I have full confidence in my doctor, Richard Berger, who found the solution to the other wrist injury in 2010. I will follow his advice and will do the rehabilitation exercises he suggested, and then we will evaluate the steps to follow.

Again, thanks for the support! I promise to keep fighting as I always did.

Source
I hope this injury isn't serious.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Federer looks like he might be on the way to losing to Stepanek :/ got broken for 2-0 in the third

Niraj

The Sheiks have a lot of money on this match.

The Sheiks are lucky his opponent isn't better then lol

Edit: Looks like he insists on being contrary. Won 3 games in a row.

Edit2: Now 5 in a row lol.

Edit3: Match point. Double faults. Hits it out. Hits it out. Double faults. Broken.

Edit4: Blew another match point, but won on his fourth. Hopefully he plays better than that if he plays Novak :/

Niraj

Guys, stop counting chickens before they're hatched. Federer has to play the Nadal Slayer next.

Reyne

Gulbis vs. Dimitrov tomorrow. Hopefully Gulbis can keep his run going.

Dimitrov got revenge for Rotterdam, though it was a close thing. 4-6 7-6(2) 7-5.

Will face Murray next in the semi, whose form seem to have been a bit inconsistent of late. I like Dimitrov's chances here. Either way, the winner of this tournament will probably be one of these two.

Niraj

What the hell happened in this match? I checked initially and Djokovic was up 4-1 in the first. Surprised it went 3.

LuuKyK

Looks like I jinxed Djoker. :(

Well, at least its against Fed. If it were against Nadal or Murray, I would be pissed at myself.

Top Bottom