• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I guess it's nice that Fed had an easy match after the last two. Tsonga is going to be tough tomorrow if he keeps playing as well as he has been.

Diamond

Oh yeah....Tournagrip is a GODSEND.

The light blue grip that does not slip. Those motherfuckers weren't lying. I Googled to see what kind of overgrip Roddick uses because I sweat just like him....if not more. That stuff is like magic. It's like a Sham Wow for racquet handles.

It absorbs sweat well, however, from my experience with it a few years ago, it begins to tear pretty quickly. Good choice if your racquet slips though, that's irritating.

So Jo-Roger in the final. I wonder if any player has already beaten Djokovic, Murray and Federer in a single tournament. Some people will probably eat crow here in France, Tsonga was often criticized since he switched coaches.

bud23

federer to lose another big final, third set tie-break.

That wouldn't surprise anyone. Federer hasn't won a big tournament since Cincy 2012. Four finals since then (Rome 2013, Wimbledon, Indian Wells and Montecarlo this year), zero titles.

I would love to see him winning, but it's going to be a really tough match.

Agnes is probably on a contact high from Serena getting eliminated. Thus increasing her title chances from the 0% that they would have been.

MIMIC

Banned
Playing an aggressive power-hitter one day, and then having to play a completely different player the next (a no-pace pusher). I feel for Venus. I was playing an identical opponent yesterday. Points are gonna be super long because you have to CREATE the point. You basically have to hit clean winners because they aren't gonna miss.

But since Venus is so much older, I don't think engaging in long rallies will do her any favors anyway.

Wilson Pro Overgrip, IMO the best overgrip ;)

I used to use this....until I got to Florida which magnified my propensity to sweat.

Niraj

Nice! Now Roger, you win too please.

Good tournament for Venus for sure. Hope she can keep it up through Cincinnati and the US Open.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Praying Tsonga wins this. Would feel a bit bitter if he takes out Djokovic and Murray and yet doesn't get the title, especially after Fed's cakewalk draw.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Incidentally, Tsonga's run here will be crazy if he wins. Possibly the second best Masters run of all time in terms of quality of opponents defeated, after Nalbandian's Madrid 2007 (beat Djokovic, Federer and Nadal on the trot).

EDIT: Federer has 3 points on Tsonga's first serve the entire match. That's just painful.

Niraj

Even if he holds here, it doesn't matter. Tsonga is just playing too well. At best he'd have to play a perfect tiebreak and get a little luck to take this to a third.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Federer is getting so angry it's a bit uncomfortable. No need to shout out the crowd, they're not the guys at Madrid.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was Tsonga that yelled at the crowd? Maybe I missed it.

They might both be doing it. Tsonga was definitely getting cross earlier, but I may have missed it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That last shot to take it to the tiebreak was beautiful. Don't often see Federer making those any more.

Niraj

Really frustrating match as a Federer fan, but I'm happy for Tsonga. Really well deserved, 4 top ten players beaten.

Top Bottom