• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Ricker

Poor Bouchard :(

Someone on Twitter summed it up pretty well:

''The post-Wimbledon portion of the year can teach her a lot about pressure and endurance.''

Yep,since her awful display in her home town,besides Wuhan where she made it to the final,she was pretty bad...I hope she bounces back next year and stays in the top 10 at least.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
So if Halep wins less than 2 games in her next match Serena is eliminated?

based on that chart it doesn't seem to matter. the games won will only act as a tiebreaker between halep and ivanovic if ana wins in two. williams is eliminated if ivanovic wins in two, but safe if halep wins, or if she loses in three.

based on that chart it doesn't seem to matter. the games won will only act as a tiebreaker between halep and ivanovic if ana wins in two. williams is eliminated if ivanovic wins in two, but safe if halep wins, or if she loses in three.

oh wow. That straight set spanking Serena received from Halep could prove to be costly if Ivanovic wins in straights. Serena needs to remind Halep to play like she did against her in the Ivanovic match

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Donald Young has the mental tenacity of a molten spoon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
lol. American players need foreign mentors. Most american tennis players are mental midgets.

It is weird how particular countries seem to develop mental cultures as a whole. Americans are just wet, Frenchmen are clinically insane, the Dutch are inveterate chokers, the Spaniards are persistent as fuck, and Andy Murray is Andy Murray.

Poor Bouchard :(

Someone on Twitter summed it up pretty well:

''The post-Wimbledon portion of the year can teach her a lot about pressure and endurance.''

Yep,since her awful display in her home town,besides Wuhan where she made it to the final,she was pretty bad...I hope she bounces back next year and stays in the top 10 at least.

She's only 20 so she could bounce back, but as someone else said she'll have to defend a lot of points from those SF/F appearances this year.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when Gasquet was hyped as the next Federer.

MIMIC

Banned
Holy shit at this Sharapova/Radwanska match.

Radwanska is like Murray x1000. lol She is running down EVERYTHING.

EDIT: From 4-0 to 5-5 (and 10,000 match points saved)

-This is probably the most dramatic match that I have seen all year. 6-6, tiebreak

-YIKES. Maria DFs lose the set and ends her chances to win the tournament. But...they're only in the 3rd set xD

Saty

Blah, i should just not watch Aga's matches. Woke up to on serve on the 3rd set. Probably would have completed the win if i stayed asleep :\

Lets go Caroline.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
When did Goffin start GOATing? I don't remember him doing anything of significance after that FO run, and that was years ago, but some of his shots against Raonic right now are beautiful - just really aesthetically pleasing. Lovely angles, flat shots, taken earlier, not much spin but a lot of pace, and coming forward to challenge everything. Real joy to watch.

EDIT: He's playing above his ranking at the moment, looks like someone in that 12-16 range. Could be a nasty sleeper if he only gets a low AO seed.

EDIT: ugh, this match is frustrating. You just know that if Goffin could get Raonic's serve back in, he'd destroy him, their ground games are just not comparable at the moment, but Raonic's serve is just not breaking down. Servebots are just the least enjoyable type of player to watch, by far.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Murray wins Valencia, he returns to no. 5 in the race rankings, so fingers crossed from me. Wawrinka's just too secure to take the no. 4 before year-end unless Murray GOATs at Paris and the WTF, but even so, if Murray can win Valencia and then just cling on, it'd be an excellent recovery from such a poor year. If he commits to the early season before the AO, he might get back the crucial no. 4 seed for the AO; and that being an achievable goal at this stage really speaks to the grit he's had.

Oh man Serena through to the semi's just barely. I bet she was holding her breath after Ivanovic won the first set tiebreak. Halep is lucky she won the second set because if she didn't then Serena would have thought she tanked on purpose to eliminate her, and that would have created more WTA drama.

edit: hooray Goffin!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
what in the FUCK was 4-0 0-15? what in the actual FUCK

seriously

coric is a monster, jesus christ

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
just tuning in

is rafa injured or something? or is he just beat?

combination of rafa being bad and coric being disgustingly good. nadal clearly has physical issues, which isn't helping his case, but coric is playing like he's a top 5 player.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
surely there's something wrong with nadal. even at his worst indoor form he's not this bad. must be the appendix.

either way, he's about to be bageled by a 17 year old. uh.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
coric is feeling pity. a dangerous emotion on a tennis court.

In fairness, at 16 he spent almost half the off-season playing with Rafa and was often swapped in as Rafa's hitting partner, so maybe it's more guilt.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Funniest part is Coric has only made 23% FS.

EDIT: Nadal, 1 winner. shiiiiiiiiiet

Top Bottom