• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
coric takes the set, but he must be too young to have played metal gear solid. otherwise he'd have known that a cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
lolwut

They are both awful

No, not at all. I know Coric didn't get many winners down, but that's just a quirk of how we record these things. He's hitting shots Nadal can't return, but can get his racquet on, so they just count as UEs from Nadal. That's not fair to either Coric or Nadal. I'd say the only big problem Coric has is power - he just can't hit through the court properly, which is why he's just relying on putting Nadal in an off position where Nadal can't return the shot properly. It's sort of like how Ferrer would perform against Nadal in those rare matches where Ferrer won.

No, not at all. I know Coric didn't get many winners down, but that's just a quirk of how we record these things. He's hitting shots Nadal can't return, but can get his racquet on, so they just count as UEs from Nadal. That's not fair to either Coric or Nadal. I'd say the only big problem Coric has is power - he just can't hit through the court properly, which is why he's just relying on putting Nadal in an off position where Nadal can't return the shot properly. It's sort of like how Ferrer would perform against Nadal in those rare matches where Ferrer won.
Exactly. Rafa is not injured.

Diamond

When did Goffin start GOATing? I don't remember him doing anything of significance after that FO run, and that was years ago, but some of his shots against Raonic right now are beautiful - just really aesthetically pleasing. Lovely angles, flat shots, taken earlier, not much spin but a lot of pace, and coming forward to challenge everything. Real joy to watch.

He's been playing very well since Wimbledon basically. He has something like a 40-3 win-lose record in that period, getting confidence back in several challenger wins and winning Kitzbuhel and Metz on the Tour after. He seems to have a clear strategy in mind : accumulating good matches on middle tier tournaments this year before really getting serious on Masters 1000 and Slams next year. He already played really well at USOpen though, his first set against Dimitrov (3rd round) was incredible.
He has a beautiful playstyle, I hope he stays on track.

Nadal definitely not playing great and his season will probably be over after this tournament, but Coric is showing point construction beyond his years. He almost bageled Rafa serving below 30% in the first.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Weirdly, Coric reminds me a lot of Ferrer. I see people saying Djokovic, but I'm not sure that's true - Coric doesn't use both wings in the way Djokovic does. Instead, Coric does the same relentless tenacity into forehand DtL as soon as he's worked the other guy out of position.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He's been playing very well since Wimbledon basically. He has something like a 40-3 win-lose record in that period, getting confidence back in several challenger wins and winning Kitzbuhel and Metz on the Tour after. He seems to have a clear strategy in mind : accumulating good matches on middle tier tournaments this year before really getting serious on Masters 1000 and Slams next year. He already played really well at USOpen though, his first set against Dimitrov (3rd round) was incredible.
He has a beautiful playstyle, I hope he stays on track.

That's a good plan. I think a lot of players would benefit sometimes from making sure their game is solid at a slightly lower level of play before trying the big leagues. It works wonders for Ferrer. Glad to see Goffin has his head screwed on right, though - he has a lot of talent, it would be a shame to waste it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but we know he's not the next Djokovic for sure now - his overhead is actually existent.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, how many months will it be before we see Rafa again? 7, 8, 9?

Saty

No, not at all. I know Coric didn't get many winners down, but that's just a quirk of how we record these things. He's hitting shots Nadal can't return, but can get his racquet on, so they just count as UEs from Nadal. That's not fair to either Coric or Nadal.
'Forced Errors' is a category that does exist.

MIMIC

Banned
98RPEKA.jpg

That was pretty horrific stuff

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
'Forced Errors' is a category that does exist.

sure, but I think it's been severely undercounted at Basel, given the difference between forced and unforced is fairly subjective.

Saty

It's a stat that is very (wrongfully) under-displayed so i can't say if they counting them wrong. Generally it is a concern but i don't think there are a lot of cases of mislabeling. If you have a total points played stat you can then add up Winners and UF and what's left is probably Forced Errors.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's a stat that is very (wrongfully) under-displayed so i can't say if they counting them wrong. Generally it is a concern but i don't think there are a lot of cases of mislabeling. If you have a total points played stat you can then add up Winners and UF and what's left is probably Forced Errors.

Well, no, I mean, there's an objective distinction between an error and a winner. A point is a winner if you hit the ball in and the opponent does not connect their racquet to the ball. A point is an error if the opponent connects their racquet to the ball, but still fails to win the point as a result of hitting the ball out or connecting with the net. There's no margin of leeway. In contrast, the difference between a unforced error and a forced error is that an unforced error is one which the person who makes the error is solely responsible for, and a forced error is one where they had no actual way of returning the ball even if they did manage to connect to it. The trouble is, determining responsibility is an entirely subjective process - could Nadal have returned a specific ball if he was playing just a bit better, or was there no way he was doing it regardless? It's up to human judgement. I think that many errors which were forced were counted as unforced in that match, at least, comparative to how they're judged in other tournaments.

(also the difference between points won and the sum of your winners and their unforced errors is by definition their forced errors, given you can't win a point other than through a winner or error and forced and unforced errors encompass all possible error types. :p )

EDIT: Why would anyone want to see Raonic play more? D: Like, I don't like Federer but at least he produces entertaining matches. Raonic serves no useful value to tennis as a sport.

LuuKyK

I cant believe Maria wasted a 5-1 lead in that second set. What an idiot. Caro won in two, so had she won that she would be in the semis. Epic flop to end her season.

And wtf at this Coric guy. Very impressive.

Federer's saved a lot of set points/match points since Wimbledon. Last year he wouldn't have won all of these points. It goes to show how much more confident he is now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's just a shame dimitrov can't fall out of the top. 12 before the AO. The fact he's keeping a 9-12 seeding from Tsonga and Gulbis, much better players who have just had unfortunate injury problems, is very annoying.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It's just a shame dimitrov can't fall out of the top. 12 before the AO. The fact he's keeping a 9-12 seeding from Tsonga and Gulbis, much better players who have just had unfortunate injury problems, is very annoying.

kind of silly to call a player who has never even made the final of an event higher than a 250 a much better player than dimitrov. a colossal waste of potential perhaps, but not a better player.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
kind of silly to call a player who has never even made the final of an event higher than a 250 a much better player than dimitrov. a colossal waste of potential perhaps, but not a better player.

Not just about titles, though. I can think of plenty of players with lots of titles who are worse than those with loss.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Not just about titles, though. I can think of plenty of players with lots of titles who are worse than those with loss.

it's not all about titles, but a 26 year old who is a much better player than dimitrov should have something to show for it. dimitrov's results from this year alone surpass gulbis' entire career.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
good match for a set, but dimitrov really faded in the second. would have been interesting if he had managed to get one of those set points in the first.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
for the fourth tournament in a row they both entered, Murray draws Djokovic in the quarters. ATP really wants Raonic at the WTP. Federer's draw is also a stroll in the park compared to Djokovic.

EDIT: On a different note, if Murray beats Ferrer tomorrow, Nishikori has officially qualified.

So will Rafa be back in time for the AO or will he wait until clay season?

ESPN: SINGAPORE -- Serena Williams made the semifinals of the WTA Finals and earned the year-end No. 1 ranking without hitting a ball Friday.

lol thats one way to put it....

Wozniaki spanked Serena in the first set. Looks like Serena has finally sunk her teeth into this match in the 2nd set. I bet this will go 3

edit: yep, we're going to a 3rd set. I'm surprised no one is watching this

Saty

And there is an array of lights right above them.

Too many cheap UE's from Aga. Missing shots you bank on her making. Like the first game she was broken she was 30-0 up and then netted two middle-of-court shots.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's so frustrating being a Radwanska fan. :( I like Halep too, though, so it's not so bad.

Top Bottom