• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
so jelly right now. for the first time in my life, i've actually applied to the ticket draw for wimbledon now I can cough up for tickets, so fingers crossed i can share in your joy

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
a Ferrer-Murray match and both of them are ball-bashing. I'm not quite sure what's going on.

EDIT: mein gott in himmel! Murray's CC backhand is back! praise be, lawdy lawdy, etc!

scarlet

Yaay, gonna see Serena tomorrow, I was so nervous this whole week cuz I'm afraid I won't see her in final. So happy right now, love her since 1998 and finally can see her.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
beats nadal just to lose to goffin. a blind man could have seen this coming.

Goffin is playing really well. I think he'll give Federer a lot of trouble, has a reasonable chance at a win.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray is incredible right now. Literally, he's playing like he was pre-Wimbledon 2013. His CC backhand is merciless, his first serve is on, and his forehand is booming. I'm literally so happy to watch this match. It probably won't last, given a huge aspect of current Murray is the fact his form is so wildly inconsistent even between individual matches, but this match is a joy.

EDIT: He's still doing that "I have a lead, time to clown it away!" thing, though. :/

EDIT: Yeah, the good form lasted like a set and a half, now he's back to being 2014 Murray.

EDIT: fuck me Murray has to be the worst front-runner in all of sports.

EDIT: This match went from really entertaining to a massive chokefest.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Probably true. The first set was actually really good, genuinely enjoyed it and Ferrer made it a tight finish. The second set was embarrassing and really you should just stop watching after 2-0 and pretend Ferrer retired.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you just love two servebots locked in mortal combat?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
federer obviously has a great record against karlovic, but it's always horrible to see them play. all that guy has to do is hold on to a tiebreak and then it's a shootout.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
federer obviously has a great record against karlovic, but it's always horrible to see them play. all that guy has to do is hold on to a tiebreak and then it's a shootout.

Yeah, would've been nice to grab one of those break points earlier.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crowd deciding to challenge Madrid for title of WOAT.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
hopefully federer takes care of business tomorrow so the race for the year end no. 1 remains interesting. maybe djokovic has some postpartum depression going on and flops in paris and london.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
hopefully federer takes care of business tomorrow so the race for the year end no. 1 remains interesting. maybe djokovic has some postpartum depression going on and flops in paris and london.

Why would you want a slamless no.1? Everyone complained when Woz did it. Like, if Federer makes no.1 I'd have thought you'd want it to be by winning the AO.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Why would you want a slamless no.1? Everyone complained when Woz did it. Like, if Federer makes no.1 I'd have thought you'd want it to be by winning the AO.

it's not enough that federer should win, others must lose. federer being the year end number one means one more year when nadal and djokovic did not achieve it.

yes, i am that pathetic.

Diamond

it's not enough that federer should win, others must lose. federer being the year end number one means one more year when nadal and djokovic did not achieve it.

yes, i am that pathetic.

Haha, I think you guys are the perfect match for a Federer debate.

Regardless, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Federer would be the first male year-end number 1 without a slam title during the past season. And like Wozniacki it wouldn't be his fault, that's just what happens when slam winners aren't consistent enough. It would be somehow coherent with what happened in 2014 : Murray/Djoker/Rafa/Roger struggling for the first time to maintain their control over the rest of the field during the whole year, rest of the field who understandably wasn't suddenly going to win everything either. When everyone can beat everyone, it's the one who wins the most matches that count who prevails in the rankings. It's based on math, not prestige.

With that said, I still find it difficult to believe Federer will catch up with Djokovic. It's possible but unprobable.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really have any objections to Federer doing it; if you play the best in a given year you play the best in a given year. It just feels... hollow? I mean, if you said to me "you get to pick Murray winning another slam or becoming a slamless no.1" the former would be such an easy choice. I'd be sort of pleased if Murray become no.1 without a slam, but it just wouldn't compare to him, say, trailing just behind Djokovic at the end of the year, then gloriously destroying the Serb in his own territory to claim the Australian Open title and the no.1 ranking.

EDIT: No, Connors did the slamless year-end no. 1 thing as well, iirc - 1975.

EDIT 2: Turns out he did it twice - once in 1975 and once in 1977.

Rainy Dog

If Roger was to finish the year as no. 1 then it'll be thoroughly deserved regardless. For me he has been the best player this year even without winning a slam.

He's got the most wins, best win/loss ratio and most final appearances I believe. And although it doesn't count for squat statistically, he's 33 years old and came into the year off his worst in a decade.

I don't buy into the idea that it'd be hollow for someone to take the year end no. 1 without a slam to their name at all. Consistency is vital in tennis and as a Fed fan I'd have preferred him to have the year he has with the results he has than say Stan's year where he won the slam but has been somewhat awful at times for too much of the rest of it.

Diamond

Nice catch for Connors, damn he lost against freaking John Newcombe on grass at the Australian Open final in 1975, it was a long time ago. However it seems on both occasions the situation was the same than in 2014 : different slam winners and an overall lack of a dominant player.
And I agree : being number 1 can "happen" to Federer, but his main focus should be (and probably is) winning the WTF and the Davis Cup. Imagine if he loses both AND manages to finish number one, it wouldn't have the same taste, for sure.

The biggest take away from Nadull Coric was that Nadull's spin was not a weapon. These young guns are growing up with this spin and it's going to be a problem for Rafa and his knees in the future. Coric is a nice spot server. Needs to get his percentage up and just a few more MPh, nothing wild.

scarlet

I'm watching Serena and Halep practising now.

Serena isn't as big as I thought, and the angle of Simona's ball is really low and deep.

Ricker

Somehow watching live feels slower lol, on tv everything seems faster.

You got good seats Scarlet...? would love to see some Tennis Live,tried last summer in Montreal for the Rogers Cup but was way too late on the Genie bandwagon and everyting was sold out...

scarlet

You got good seats Scarlet...? would love to see some Tennis Live,tried last summer in Montreal for the Rodgers Cup but was way too late on the Genie bandwagon and everyting was sold out...

I'm not in tv angle seat, I'm in front of the players when they're sitting, so right/left side, not the best view, but still enjoy it.

scarlet

Halep actually looks good in practice, while Serena was kinda lackluster. It's the opposite now lol.

I'm the minority here, everyone's keep shouting Simona name

Top Bottom