• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

lol @ Sloane Stephens getting demolished by the British journeywoman Heather Watson.

Hey, the Australian Open Wild Card rounds begin tomorrow. HYPE!!!
The college football national championship just concluded (congrats MIMIC) and so Chris Fowler should be on the next flight to Melbourne.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Delpo won his first match back :) 6-3 7-6(4)

article.jpeg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
lol @ Sloane Stephens getting demolished by the British journeywoman Heather Watson.

Hey, the Australian Open Wild Card rounds begin tomorrow. HYPE!!!
The college football national championship just concluded (congrats MIMIC) and so Chris Fowler should be on the next flight to Melbourne.

Sloane has a 0-4 match-up against Heather Watson now, amazing. God bless 'murica.

If Sloane goes out R1 of the AO and Heather makes R2, which isn't unlikely all things considered, Heather's ranking will overtake Sloane's. Which one is the journeywoman again? : p

Yeah isn't she in her mid 20's now? US-Open wildcards are generally given to American prospects under age 20. If you don't have a ranking to get a direct acceptance after turning 20, tough luck.

Also, Kaley Cuoco's husband Ryan Sweeting is trying to qualify for a futures tournament. That's the lowest of the low in professional tennis.
Didn't know Ryan was married to her. Guy has one of the worst professional serves I've ever seen. Borna Coric still has a lot of development, lost two matches past two tournaments against winnable opponents.

Didn't know Ryan was married to her. Guy has one of the worst professional serves I've ever seen. Borna Coric still has a lot of development, lost two matches past two tournaments against winnable opponents.

update: Sweeting lost in the first round of the futures qualifying draw.

But really he's winning, he gets to sleep with Kaley every night

LuuKyK

Nike outfits are ugly as sin. Christ, what are they thinking.

Also Cibulkova keeps on losing, she is playing like a scrub. Good luck defending those final points on the AO. lol

Niraj

Coric already that cocky at 17? Zverev is probably better anyway

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...orna-Coric/articleshow/45748032.cms?prtpage=1

"When I'm at my best I am more like Djokovic game wise, when I'm not, I'm more like Murray." Talking about his game, Coric said: "I think my game is quite similar to Djokovic's. I move well, I don't miss many balls, I'm a fighter and my backhand is my best shot. Currently, I'm the best of my generation."

I just read this update though:

Message from Borna Coric:
"Dear fans,

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify a statement in an interview I gave for The Times of India while playing in Chennai.
Some of my quotes were misinterpreted.

First, regarding "the best in my generation", in and around my age group we are so lucky to have a cluster of super talented contemporaries who have most definitely pushed each and everyone of us to become better over the years. We all have a healthy rivalry. As it happens at this specific moment I have the best ranking of all the players my age but as we know in tennis that could change in 1 week as it did on many occasions between us last year. I respect all of them. Nothing is for certain in this sport and I respect each and everyone of them.

Secondly, my comparison with some of the best players in the world was taken out of context. All I wanted to say is that I am naturally a defensive player. In order to be better, I need to work on being aggressive as much as possible. In this statement they were supposed to use as examples, but I was not quoted the way I wanted. I utterly respect players who are amongst the best of our era and multiple Grand Slam champions and I in no way meant to be disrespectful in anyway."

Dispatch

Due to the holidays and quirks of our indoor schedule, I played for the first time in six weeks tonight.

At one point, I missed an overhead so badly I apologized to every tennis player who has, or ever will play.

To no one's surprise, my partner and I lost all three sets we played.

Niraj

Delpo's forehand is still looking pretty good. His backhand is being targeted for good reason though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Haven't paid any attention to Tennis for a long while now--once I was a big fan--but I am honestly really surprised to see Federer is still hanging in there as world number 2.

I mean what? I fully expect him to fall off at least below 5 by now--hell, I expected him now to be at below 10, but 2? Just one dude in front of him?

How the bloody hell can he keep up with his age? This guy is a monster.

scarlet

Haven't paid any attention to Tennis for a long while now--once I was a big fan--but I am honestly really surprised to see Federer is still hanging in there as world number 2.

I mean what? I fully expect him to fall off at least below 5 by now--hell, I expected him now to be at below 10, but 2? Just one dude in front of him?

He's one of the most consistent player in the last decade.

Diamond

Due to the holidays and quirks of our indoor schedule, I played for the first time in six weeks tonight.

At one point, I missed an overhead so badly I apologized to every tennis player who has, or ever will play.

To no one's surprise, my partner and I lost all three sets we played.

Apology accepted, I miss my fare share of overheads too, don't worry ! :)

I think a lot of it has to do with his effortless playstyle. He has very natural moves and he's one of the players who plays the fastest shots on tour. So he has a double benefit : he finishes rallies quickly and his shots don't hurt his body as much as the average top player. In general (training sessions too, during which he's often very relaxed), he doesn't have to push his body over the limit because of his technique.

How he keeps his motivation is another matter, but I think that's one thing a lot of great champions share : they love their sport and always want to win, so they keep on playing as long as they can.

Diamond

You guys seen what Maria is going to wear for the AO? Wow she will look extremely hot considering she is much fitter and more tanned than the model posing for these shots:

nike-kleid-maria-sharapova-premier-robe-femmes-daring-red-bright-peach-volt_00443018916000_500-500_90_3.jpg

"Helloooo LuuKyK !♥♥ Wanna play tennis with meee ???♪ :3"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of it has to do with his effortless playstyle. He has very natural moves and he's one of the players who plays the fastest shots on tour. So he has a double benefit : he finishes rallies quickly and his shots don't hurt his body as much as the average top player. In general (training sessions too, during which he's often very relaxed), he doesn't have to push his body over the limit because of his technique.

How he keeps his motivation is another matter, but I think that's one thing a lot of great champions share : they love their sport and always want to win, so they keep on playing as long as they can.

I think the fact in particular he has a one-handed backhand is really useful for career longevity - the amount of torque his spine and knees are exposed to is a lot less than a player that uses a two-handed backhand given the body rotations each shot required. Additionally, early in Federer's career courts were generally softer (that's what caused bounces to be lower - elasticity differences) which had two effects: matches are quicker because without shots bouncing so high it is easier to make winners the opponent can't return, and it does less damage to the joints. These factors together mean he's preserved relatively well, in a way I simply don't think, say, Djokovic or Murray will.

The second is that strategically, Federer has retooled his game a lot. His serve is probably better now than it has been at any other time in his career - better than it was in 2006 and 2007, even. That's not down to additional power, but placement. Federer's serve placement is incredibly good and has really helped him hold serve now that the rest of his game has faded a little. Similarly, he's incorporated a lot more serve and volley into his game, and makes a conscious attempt to end points much earlier. That's something new - if you look at Federer's career, traditionally serve and volley is the style he suffers against most and has struggled with aside from Nadal's almost unique style. Federer made his breakthrough relatively late due to the predominance of serve and volley in his very early career, and had long losing streaks against S&V players like Henman. However, later in his career, he's incorporated S&V himself in an attempt to increase career length.

The third is luck, and that has played a fair part. It's not so long since the end of 2013 when we were bemoaning Federer's slide down the rankings and his brief drop to no.7 in the world. Part of his "recovery" since then his really been attributable to decline in other players - particularly Murray due to back surgery, Nadal due to general fitness break-down, Wawrinka due to his inability to cope with the pressure after becoming a Slam champion, and Ferrer's decline due to his life outside tennis. I think if none of those things had had such a big effect on those players, we might still be talking about Federer as a player hovering just outside the top 5.

Diamond

I think the fact in particular he has a one-handed backhand is really useful for career longevity - the amount of torque his spine and knees are exposed to is a lot less than a player that uses a two-handed backhand given the body rotations each shot required. Additionally, early in Federer's career courts were generally softer (that's what caused bounces to be lower - elasticity differences) which had two effects: matches are quicker because without shots bouncing so high it is easier to make winners the opponent can't return, and it does less damage to the joints. These factors together mean he's preserved relatively well, in a way I simply don't think, say, Djokovic or Murray will.

Maybe so for the backhand part, then again Agassi or Connors had crazy longevity too, and they both had two handed backhands. I think it has more to do with the general technique of Federer, which is pretty much what you strive for when you play tennis : not muscle your way through the ball but playing relaxed. Puts less stress on the body and makes the ball go faster.
The court argument can be made but it's not so clear either : players from this era weren't particularly less injury prone.

The second is that strategically, Federer has retooled his game a lot. His serve is probably better now than it has been at any other time in his career - better than it was in 2006 and 2007, even. That's not down to additional power, but placement. Federer's serve placement is incredibly good and has really helped him hold serve now that the rest of his game has faded a little. Similarly, he's incorporated a lot more serve and volley into his game, and makes a conscious attempt to end points much earlier. That's something new - if you look at Federer's career, traditionally serve and volley is the style he suffers against most and has struggled with aside from Nadal's almost unique style. Federer made his breakthrough relatively late due to the predominance of serve and volley in his very early career, and had long losing streaks against S&V players like Henman. However, later in his career, he's incorporated S&V himself in an attempt to increase career length.

Federer is definitely more agressive these days, but he's always had a short rally strategy throughout his career. He was more precise in his baseline play and had more stamina when he was in his 20's, but the key to his success has always been playing well and fast. So I agree his playstyle evolution played a role, but really he's now capitalizing on his whole "career behaviour", not just the last two or 3 years.

And even if it's not really relevant to the debate, I'm not sure I agree with the serve and volley cryptonite argument, which I've seen you mention before. What are your examples besides Henman (not mentioning that Fed completely reversed the H2H later) ? Early 2000's weren't exactly a serve and volley era. I'd argue that Federer has suffered a lot more against the new generation of ultra-fit defensers like Djokovic, Nadal and Murray who have won countless matches by making him play longer rallies, outside of his comfort zone.

The third is luck, and that has played a fair part. It's not so long since the end of 2013 when we were bemoaning Federer's slide down the rankings and his brief drop to no.7 in the world. Part of his "recovery" since then his really been attributable to decline in other players - particularly Murray due to back surgery, Nadal due to general fitness break-down, Wawrinka due to his inability to cope with the pressure after becoming a Slam champion, and Ferrer's decline due to his life outside tennis. I think if none of those things had had such a big effect on those players, we might still be talking about Federer as a player hovering just outside the top 5.

Things happen to everyone. That's why staying at the top for years is hard, and few achieve it.
The fact that Federer is, nowadays, more physically fit than adversaries who are 6 years younger is pretty significant. Part of it is luck, but part of it isn't. At all.

serena's look is better, as usual

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OSBkqUC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3Wld10W.jpg[/IMG]

I actually prefer this outfit too, I think.

LuuKyK

Serena will make it work I bet, but that outfit looks cheap as hell.

That tunic seems like those atrocities they gave maria all 2014. The fabric looks like a camping tent and the color will make her look like a gigantic walking highlighter.

Niraj

Blew his chance at winning that tiebreak. Up 4-2, loses 7-5.

Edit: and loses the second set tiebreak too. The year of Del Potro is over.

Rainy Dog

From what I saw of Delpo's match earlier, he's just not ready for the Aussie Open sadly.

I don't think I saw him hit one double-handed backhand. He was basically slicing everything on that side one-handed or running around as much as he could.

I'm trying to find the best settings and angle with my GoPro:

Still not sure if I should go for Medium or Wide, and what the perfect angle should be :p
I would use the last setting. I don't think any angle with curvature would be good to deconstruct your tennis game as it will appear you are hitting the ball with some crazy spin or something

Niraj

Women's possible quarters:

Serena-Wozniacki
Kvitova-Radwanska
Halep-Ivanovic
Sharapova-Bouchard

Azarenka-Sloane rematch in the first round lol

Men's possible quarters:

Djokovic-Raonic
Federer-Murray
Wawrinka-Nishikori
Nadal-Berdych

semis:

Djokovic-Wawrinka
Federer-Nadal (what a shock)

LuuKyK

Sloane drawing Azarenka in 1R is hilarious for multiple reasons. And the fact that the winner of that match gets Wozniacki in the 2R is lol.

And of course I wanted Genie to be far away from Maria and she ends up being the closest top 10 to her. Fucking hell. :(

Diamond

I'm trying to find the best settings and angle with my GoPro:

Still not sure if I should go for Medium or Wide, and what the perfect angle should be :p

I would use the last setting. I don't think any angle with curvature would be good to deconstruct your tennis game as it will appear you are hitting the ball with some crazy spin or something

Same. Last one (medium) is best. Fisheye effect can be fun but classic view will be better to analyse your game. Maybe try to orientate the GoPro a little bit higher (like in the first pic, where you can see the ceiling).
You should post a video here ! :)

Top Bottom