• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

oh wow its crazy that Sloane and Vika are playing eachother first round as unseeded players. 2 years ago that would have seemed insane.

Also, unless an American qualifier pulls through, there are no American men in the bottom HALF of the draw. American tennis continues to fall.

Faith

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/01/2/Sydney-Saturday-Final-Troicki-Kukushkin.aspx

Troicki won in Sydney :D

Same. Last one (medium) is best. Fisheye effect can be fun but classic view will be better to analyse your game. Maybe try to orientate the GoPro a little bit higher (like in the first pic, where you can see the ceiling).
You should post a video here ! :)
I will, but promise me that you won't laugh. I started to play tennis 2.5 years ago, I'm not a pro :p

Diamond

I will, but promise me that you won't laugh

alfred-nevah.gif

Faith

10392336_789929857727urzyq.jpg

A few hours ago I was in Australia, today at the Mayo Clinic. As recommended by my doctor, I underwent a minor surgery to fix the problem that caused me pain in the wrist. I feel more determined than ever to return to the courts sooner than later, to play tennis without feeling pain and to enjoy the love that you give me. I will begin rehabilitation in two weeks. Thanks!!

Source

:(

ghstwrld

Queen Sarin is going to COMPETE at the 5th slam again

Thirteen years and a lifetime in tennis later, things feel different. A few months ago, when Russian official Shamil Tarpischev made racist and sexist remarks about Venus and me, the WTA and USTA immediately condemned him. It reminded me how far the sport has come, and how far I’ve come too.

I have thought about going back to Indian Wells many times over my career. I said a few times that I would never play there again. And believe me, I meant it. I admit it scared me. What if I walked onto the court and the entire crowd booed me? The nightmare would start all over.

It has been difficult for me to forget spending hours crying in the Indian Wells locker room after winning in 2001, driving back to Los Angeles feeling as if I had lost the biggest game ever—not a mere tennis game but a bigger fight for equality. Emotionally it seemed easier to stay away. There are some who say I should never go back. There are others who say I should’ve returned years ago. I understand both perspectives very well and wrestled with them for a long time. I’m just following my heart on this one.

I’m fortunate to be at a point in my career where I have nothing to prove. I’m still as driven as ever, but the ride is a little easier. I play for the love of the game. And it is with that love in mind, and a new understanding of the true meaning of forgiveness, that I will proudly return to Indian Wells in 2015.

[...]

Indian Wells was a pivotal moment of my story, and I am a part of the tournament’s story as well. Together we have a chance to write a different ­ending.

irFIPJQVHd1Km.gif

I hope Venus plays as well
And her and Serena meet in the semi-finals
And one of them withdraws
Then for the final, we'll see if the crowd has become more tolerant or not.

LuuKyK

Btw, TV ratings were way higher for the women final in the US (800 to 500 for the men final). Not really surprising considering Serena was in it, but still.

Warning: The following is an American tennis update. Don't read if you aren't interested

Kozlov and Donaldson unsurprisingly received wild cards into the Memphis Open next week. This was also the tournament Jack Sock was supposed to make his return, but I think the health issues with his brother set him back. (Eric Sock was on life support with bi-lateral pneumonia last week)

Donaldson won his first singles challenger title last week, then a couple hours later he won the doubles title with Kozlov. One thing I noticed when watching their doubles final, was that Kozlov looked taller. He was listed on his ATP profile as 5'10" for the longest time, but it looked like he hit a growth spurt when I watched him stand next to Donaldson. I checked his ATP profile and yep, sure enough, he's now listed at 6'0". Thats important because I have always felt the optimal height for a pro tennis player is 6'1"-6'3", and the big 4 back that up:

Murray: 6'3"
Federer: 6'1"
Nadal: 6'1"
Djokovic: 6'2"

Kozlov turned 17 just last week so there's still time for him to grow another inch or two. Donaldson is already 6'2.5" so hopefully he doesn't grow too much more.

This has been your American mens tennis update.

LuuKyK

Genie can be such a villain. lol

She stole her best friends (Laura Robson) coach even if it was her that introduced Saviano to her and this time she befriended Vika during last years wimbledon just to steal her coach.

I love it tbh.

I hope she decides to temporarily date Redfoo next, just out of spite

She is dating a Canadian hockey player I think.

Lucky bastard.

LuuKyK

Miracles do happen

B9AgmJLIEAAkuv0.jpg

That smile. lol You just know Maria would rather be elsewhere than socializing with lesser players.

She is just playing because otherwise she would not be eligible for the Olympics next year and because she wants to expand her Sugarpova market to Poland.

Peru

Nah she's been like super chatty and friendly about her Russian girls on twitter. And this is with Nastya, who threatened to quit if Maria ended up on the tema. Also she wants to sell some candy, of course.

Peru

She isn't because she's haughty, at least that's what some people are saying. Odd choice though.

I just can't get used to Myskina coaching Sharapova. Mid match even. Seems Masha is keeping her good hc form though.

B9UMnwOIcAAb9ip.jpg:large

btw why isn't she playing Fed cup for Canada? The scrubs on that team are an embarrassment for world group I. USA is unfortunately in World Group II, but the Williams sisters are there to represent
Arrogance most likely.

And I always seem to forget when the Dallas Challenger is in town. Would love to see Ryan Harrison in person. Especially to see him act like the tennis ball is a softbal.....

Ricker

Some good matches in the Fed Cup...Sharapova, Radwanska going on right now...Sportsnet up here in Canada are showing the whole thing...almost 8 hours of Tennis...too bad Canada doesnt have Bouchard though...

I wonder if Bouchard's ''Serious Sam'' comment in her selfie with her new coach was a reference to the game lol...

Ricker

Well it did some hours ago, but I won't spoil the score.

Ah,damn thought it was Live lol...anyway Sharapova won first set and now leads 5-2 in second so yeah...the Canada/Cze matches where live because it's in Laval/Quebec,got confused...

MIMIC

Banned
My BH was so awesome today ^_^ Nothing is sweeter than a 1HBH up the line (or into the open court for a clean winner)

My serve: Eh. 2 aces and 3 DFs :(

My volleys: Fuck volleys. lol

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So today I discovered there are things called tennis racket sensors.

Like the Babolat Play: http://en.babolatplay.com/
Babolat-Play-challenger-amis.jpg

Or Sony's Smart tennis sensor: http://www.smarttennissensor.sony.net/NA/
20140122_sony_smart_article_main_image.jpg

Or The Zep Tennis sensor http://www.zepp.com/tennis/

article.jpg

And probably there are even more

So those sensors record all of your shot data are can be displayed in real-time on your smartphone via Bluetooth. Through the app screen, you can check the swing (shot) type, ball speed, swing speed, ball spin, ball impact spot and other data for every shot. They also motivate you in a fun way to keep improving.

As a fanatic tennis player this sounds very interesting to me, but if I buy this I want to buy the right thing.

Does anyone here have any experience with these kind of sensors? If so what are the best and does it work good?

Diamond

So today I discovered there are things called tennis racket sensors.

Like the Babolat Play: http://en.babolatplay.com/
Babolat-Play-challenger-amis.jpg

Or Sony's Smart tennis sensor: http://www.smarttennissensor.sony.net/NA/
20140122_sony_smart_article_main_image.jpg

Or The Zep Tennis sensor http://www.zepp.com/tennis/

article.jpg

And probably there are even more

So those sensors record all of your shot data are can be displayed in real-time on your smartphone via Bluetooth. Through the app screen, you can check the swing (shot) type, ball speed, swing speed, ball spin, ball impact spot and other data for every shot. They also motivate you in a fun way to keep improving.

As a fanatic tennis player this sounds very interesting to me, but if I buy this I want to buy the right thing.

Does anyone here have any experience with these kind of sensors? If so what are the best and does it work good?

I recently made a message about that in the Australian Open OT :

That's pretty great, didn't know Nadal was using it. The Babolat Play racquets are still a little bit too expensive (300 Euros here for a Pure Drive, and it was 400€ until recently), but in a few years, I bet a majority of the models will have some kind of tracking tech implemented. It's really fun to have stats on your game.

I recently tried this device from Artengo, which has the particularity to adapt to any racquet. Some stats can be useful to adjust a few things. Unfortunately, the device is a little bit too heavy. The Babolat Play models have the same weight as standard models, so that's better in my book.

The two problems I see are, at least for the time being, that stats are not that detailed (you can't have things like shot placement, 1st serve percentage, successful net approaches, hell, even errors, which are all too difficult to accurately track) and you don't have a way to know how accurate the stats you have really are.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why is there no good proper tennis game for the current gen console?

Soccer games bore me and it has been a long while since the latest Top Spin.

Virtua Tennis is alright but I just can't take it seriously considering how silly the training regiments on those games can be.

WANT ANOTHER TOP SPIN!

Peru

Virtua Tennis is alright but I just can't take it seriously considering how silly the training regiments on those games can be.

WANT ANOTHER TOP SPIN!

I hear that. Top Spin is too good. Hell I'd like a Top Spin 4 PC port as well. Even another Hot Shots tennis

Diamond

WANT ANOTHER TOP SPIN!

I know... No big tennis game since 2011, at a time where we have such quality players on tour, that's sad. I fear the development costs on the new consoles are a big hurdle.
Top Spin 4 is probably my most played game on Xbox 360. Hell I'd still play it if the online matches wouldn't constantly crash each time I play.

Kingsora

I recently made a message about that in the Australian Open OT :

Oh that's actually interesting. Thanks for the info. Babolat play can be a good buy.

What is actually the difference between the normale babolat play and the pure drive? Is the difference worth the extra 50 euros?

Actually the Artengo one would be the most interesting, you don't have to change racket. But if it's too heavy that influence your game it is off course a little bit stupid. In that way it would be very interesting to see if this one is going to become a succes. http://www.shot-stats.com/
shotstatschallenger.jpg

Diamond

Oh that's actually interesting. Thanks for the info. Babolat play can be a good buy.

What is actually the difference between the normale babolat play and the pure drive? Is the difference worth the extra 50 euros?

If I'm not mistaken there's two models with the tech : the Aero Pro and the Pure Drive. The racquets are similar to their "non play" counterparts : same weight, same size, same balance, so it's up to you to see which one you prefer. The Aero Pro provides a little bit more control, the Pure Drive is more about power, but you should try each one to see which one suits you the best.
And I think I remember reading somewhere that Babolat will soon commercialize new Pure Drive Plays, that's why the old ones are cheaper.

Actually the Artengo one would be the most interesting, you don't have to change racket. But if it's too heavy that influence your game it is off course a little bit stupid. In that way it would be very interesting to see if this one is going to become a succes. http://www.shot-stats.com/
shotstatschallenger.jpg

I imagine you can get accustomed to it, but really it's heavy (about 40 grams). Both my partner and I found it too heavy when we tried it. It gave us some interesting stats but I think it's more interesting to have it recording each time you play. Maybe they'll manage to miniaturize it in the future.

Kingsora

If I'm not mistaken there's two models with the tech : the Aero Pro and the Pure Drive. The racquets are similar to their "non play" counterparts : same weight, same size, same balance, so it's up to you to see which one you prefer. The Aero Pro provides a little bit more control, the Pure Drive is more about power, but you should try each one to see which one suits you the best.
And I think I remember reading somewhere that Babolat will soon commercialize new Pure Drive Plays, that's why the old ones are cheaper.
Hmm it is however not easy to try them out, because I can't find them anywere in shops and online buy them online on the internet. I am guessing the aero pro is a little bit better considering the higher price and control > power. But I am wondering if the difference is worth the 50 to 100 euros for amateur players like us.

Any idea if there is a big difference between Wilson and Babolat rackets, because I have already played all my live with Wilson. If Wilson had such a kind of racket it would be a no-brainer for me.

Diamond

Hmm it is however not easy to try them out, because I can't find them anywere in shops and online buy them online on the internet. I am guessing the aero pro is a little bit better considering the higher price and control > power. But I am wondering if the difference is worth the 50 to 100 euros for amateur players like us.

Any idea if there is a big difference between Wilson and Babolat rackets, because I have already played all my live with Wilson. If Wilson had such a kind of racket it would be a no-brainer for me.

You can order demo racquets on Tennis Warehouse, you just have to send them back to them after >>> http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/demoselect.html?pcode=BPLYPD&productlist=BPLYPDd
Don't know where you live though, but here in France several online shops provide this kind of service.

Usually, the Aero Pro and the Pure Drive have more or less the same price, it's just that the Aero Pro Play is more recent, hence more expensive.
I haven't tried any Wilson racquets recently, so I'm afraid I can't help you here. In general, from my experience at least, both the Pure Drive and the Aero Pro are great racquets for recreational play.

Ricker

WANT ANOTHER TOP SPIN!

I thought they where really hard though,maybe thats why people weren't into them...I remember getting schooled even on the easy modes a lot and just gave up.

Peru

You had to spend a little time learning the controls and then you had to think a little bit about what you did on court, but it wasn't very hard.

LuuKyK

Virtua Tennis is a joke.

Thats why I asked. lol

But yeah, Top Spin kind of has a learning curve. It has a lot to do with the timing you press/release the button to hit the ball, but once you get used to it its really not that hard. Opponents are pretty useless on Easy/Normal.

Peru

I'll be honest I've never felt more in control of what I do, ie being able to pull off what I'd like to pull off as a tennis player, than with Hot Shots / Everybody's Tennis. The issue with that game is that you could spam volley to win too much.

Top Bottom