• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Diamond

Virtua Tennis is a joke.

With high level players it isn't. My biggest complaint with Virtua Tennis is that it's impossible to make unforced errors, which are a big part of tennis. What I would have loved to see is a VT where you can actually aim outside the court if you push the stick to far up or on the sides. Table Tennis from Rockstar did that, but with... Table tennis. It was a fantastic racquet game nonetheless.
I insist that VT can be a lot of fun though, even if I obviously prefer Top Spin. It's all about being aggressive and taking control of the points, which are important elements in real tennis too.

lol. One of the kids on now RAGES every time he messes up.

I guess its not totally a waste. I learned a new drill that one of the coaches was administering. He had rotation going where he would feed a forehand down the line, then the student would run to a cone at the center service line, then retreat back cross-court to the other side of the baseline to hit the second and final shot. I guess it simulates being aggressive, but being forced to retreat after your opponent hits a good lob.

Peru

With high level players it isn't. My biggest complaint with Virtua Tennis is that it's impossible to make unforced errors, which are a big part of tennis. What I would have loved to see is a VT where you can actually aim outside the court if you push the stick to far up or on the sides.

Not saying it can't get difficult, but I really don't like it.. how you can jump to reach any shot, the speed of it.

Diamond

Not saying it can't get difficult, but I really don't like it.. how you can jump to reach any shot, the speed of it.

I understand, it's not for everyone, and especially when you know tennis you can (and will !) roll your eyes to some situations that would never happen in a real match. But that's part of the fun too, it's an arcade game. :)

Ricker

Wow,WTA game in Antwerp with Petkovic and Van Uytvanck is already 3 hours in and they just started the third set lol... 6(7) 7(9) , 7(7) 6(5)

Ricker

Petkovic finally won that marathon 6-2 in the last set after almost 3 hours and a half...

With all the Sports channels I have,no one is showing Bouchard this afternoon,they are showing ATP instead I think,unless RDS(french station) is showing her but its like not on my DVR listing.

EDIT: Well looks like I was better off not seeing Bouchard,total meltdown after winning the first set...9 double faults,guess her new coach is trying to improve her service maybe and she is still struggling with it or something...

I wonder if rasta-man is ever going to break through. He's been hovering around a 100 ATP ranking for what seems like 5 years, and he's 30 years old now. I wish he stuck with Jamaica.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Why is there no good proper tennis game for the current gen console?

Soccer games bore me and it has been a long while since the latest Top Spin.

Virtua Tennis is alright but I just can't take it seriously considering how silly the training regiments on those games can be.

WANT ANOTHER TOP SPIN!
Tennis just isn't popular enough, which is a shame. I'd kill for a technical advanced tennis game, only game that comes close for me is Hot Shots Tennis on PSP, I still replay it every now and then. It's actually really really decent on the hardest level

LuuKyK

Tennis just isn't popular enough, which is a shame. I'd kill for a technical advanced tennis game, only game that comes close for me is Hot Shots Tennis on PSP, I still replay it every now and then. It's actually really really decent on the hardest level

I just cant imagine tennis being that much less popular than Hockey for example. I mean, tennis is probably on average more famous worldwide, while hockey is more of a north american focused sport (I could be wrong though). Yet there are yearly releases for hockey games, which is obviously not the case for tennis. lol

What a war between Tomic and Young. Take the title! Never would've suspected that Steve Johnson would have a better carer trajectory at this point than Harrison.

Nishikori v. Krajicek is on Tennis channel right now. I watched a few of Krajicek's matches in person back when he was in college. He was aight, but nothing special. Generally the UT player would beat him (Dmitar Kutrovsky).

Looks like Krajicek has improved his game a bit though

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The year of Young is over.

Federer is skipping Miami this year. Can't say I really blame him. It seems like he usually ends up having an aberration of a loss each year.

MIMIC

Banned
That was an interesting match. Sam definitely had his chances. But once you get the ball in play and the rally gets past 4-5 shots, the odds are usually in the other guy's favor.

Oh yeah...Sam DF'd twice in the tiebreaker. That's definitely not gonna help. But I'm a fan of Kei so I was happy that he went through. Although I would have been equally as happy has Sam won.

Ricker

What the hell Wawrinka..weakest little volley try ever lol...

Decider set for the Tournament win coming up.(Rotterdam).

MIMIC

Banned
Anyone watching this shitfest between Rola and Souza?

Souza had a MATCH POINT in the tiebreak, and hit the volley like 20 feet wide xD

On to the shitty third set....

Anyone watching this shitfest between Rola and Souza?

Souza had a MATCH POINT in the tiebreak, and hit the volley like 20 feet wide xD

On to the shitty third set....
It's been a fun match. Really enjoyed it. One thing I did not know, is that Brazil is ahead of American east coast time. Just my ignorance.

MIMIC

Banned
From MTF

Bf0b4Y3.gif

LMAO

Niraj

The seeded women in Dubai did not have a good day today. 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8 all lost. Ouch.

I remember when DeBakker was touted as the next big thing. Now he looks like an old broken down piece of meat.

Never thought Kevin Anderson would get this good.

I have a confession to make. I love watching Tomic play. I'm coming to terms with him being nothing more than the Australian equivalent to Donald Young. And I'm okay with that.

Niraj

I have a confession to make. I love watching Tomic play. I'm coming to terms with him being nothing more than the Australian equivalent to Donald Young. And I'm okay with that.

We all have things we're ashamed of man. The important thing is to know that we're here for you in your time of crisis. Well, not me specifically, but we as a collective.

Ricker

Stupid Sportsnet...they showed the two WTA semi finals yesterday,Live and today they are not showing the Halep/Pliskova final...smh.

It's sad but this is where DY should've been in 08 or 09. I mean the USTA was not the answer by any means, but DY why needed to break away from his mom's teet and he never did. Best thing for him would've been to go to Spain, link up with their doping regimen, develop his court craft, some grit, enhance his feel.

It's sad but this is where DY should've been in 08 or 09. I mean the USTA was not the answer by any means, but DY why needed to break away from his mom's teet and he never did. Best thing for him would've been to go to Spain, link up with their doping regimen, develop his court craft, some grit, enhance his feel.

Ayyyy lmao.

Ayyyy lmao.
It's true though. Look at DY now. He finally doesn't look frail. The strength has done wonders for his shot, it's so snakes and curvy rather than the loopy nothing ball it used to be. Point being, he didn't put the work in when it was most needed.

Rafa looks slow and baffled out there against Fabio.

Niraj

It's true though. Look at DY now. He finally doesn't look frail. The strength has done wonders for his shot, it's so snakes and curvy rather than the loopy nothing ball it used to be. Point being, he didn't put the work in when it was most needed.

Rafa looks slow and baffled out there against Fabio.

That was killer by Fognini just now for 0-30

Edit: oh my god, that match point

What a brave performance by Fabio. He sucked Rafa in and as a result he looked discombobulated the second and third sets. I hope he's not injured....

Top Bottom