• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Is this the end of Nadal . Federer only got to number 2 because of his fitness not his form?

14TEQoH.png

Never a good sign to see Nadal drop in the rankings during clay season. He's playing another clay tournament in south america this week, so I'll keep an eye on those results. We all know that regardless of how he looks now, he's winning the French Open

It's the middle of February but it was warm enough to go out and play. Haven't played since the summer so I was even worse than usual, but it was nice to get back out there.

How is Sloane Stephens still hanging around in the top 50? Her points she gained by overachieving in slams have to be expiring soon. Wouldn't surprise me if she's out of the top 100 by the end of the year

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why Ferrer didn't win a slam by now. He is such a complete player.

I am completely confident that at their best, Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych all would have been slam winners in the early 2000s. They're all terrific players that are unfortunate to be around when the Big 4 are.

LuuKyK

Dimugtrov. lol The other guy won only 5 points in the entire third set, I mean... wtf.

Also Sloane is a joke, she might as well retire. I wonder if she will ever win another match. lol

Diamond

Dimitrov prefers diving than taking his serve :) >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPM9zJYZtX8

Also (didn't saw someone posting it here), did you guys saw the Murray notes that leaked after one of his matches at Rotterdam ? He read them during turnovers. There's nothing personal in them, just motivational things, so I guess it's not inappropriate to read, to better understand the mental aspect of the game.
I also happen to write down some key things before some matches or training sessions, to assimilate them better. Sometimes it's just very basic things ("Don't push, hit the damn ball !!!"), and it's funny to see it's the same with a guy like Murray who is one of the very best players in the world.

648x415_journaliste-retrouve-notes-andy-murray-emportent-pendant-match-tennis.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Dimitrov prefers diving than taking his serve :) >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPM9zJYZtX8

Also (didn't saw someone posting it here), did you guys saw the Murray notes that leaked after one of his matches at Rotterdam ? He read them during turnovers. There's nothing personal in them, just motivational things, so I guess it's not inappropriate to read, to better understand the mental aspect of the game.
I also happen to write down some key things before some matches or training sessions, to assimilate them better. Sometimes it's just very basic things ("Don't push, hit the damn ball !!!"), and it's funny to see it's the same with a guy like Murray who is one of the very best players in the world.

http://img.20mn.fr/FARe9E4JQcy9Y3Cc...ndy-murray-emportent-pendant-match-tennis.jpg

I have similar notes written down on my phone. But mine aren't strategic; they're more technical rather tactical. Like: I have written down 1) to remember to "jump" during the serve, 2) remember to grip my racket tightly on my FH & BH (because I have an awful tendency to play very loose with it), and 3) remembering to grip the racket closer to the head for overheads.

Just today, I forgot to do the first two, lol. But as soon as I remembered to jump for my serves, I hit 2 aces and a lot of unreturns.

Tactics wise, I never have a set game plan. I play the same way against everyone. As SOON as I have an opening, I go for it. Doesn't have to be an outright winner, but just enough to put my opponent on the defensive.

But I have to be more patient against pushers. A foray to the net pretty much has to be perfectly timed; coming in on any ol' shot is dangerous. If they're able to hit anything but a defensive lob, you dun goofed

Impressive performance from Harrison, even though Grigor was too busy wondering why Eugenie wasn't there this year. Ryan was really driving the ball instead of looping it. Still lots of work to be done to get the American out of his game....

Do any of your local country clubs have "pickleball"? Apparently its sweeping the nation. I never heard about it until last week when someone at the USTA convention brought it up. Its like a cross between tennis and ping pong. Large pingpong racket, whiffleball, and a restricted green area called "the kitchen" where you can't hit volleys in the air. I'de like to give it a try, but I don't think there are courts in my area.
Oh yeah, you can also call timeouts, which seems so out of place for this sport lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsdelrRzcA

Do any of your local country clubs have "pickleball"? Apparently its sweeping the nation. I never heard about it until last week when someone at the USTA convention brought it up. Its like a cross between tennis and ping pong. Large pingpong racket, whiffleball, and a restricted green area called "the kitchen" where you can't hit volleys in the air. I'de like to give it a try, but I don't think there are courts in my area.
Oh yeah, you can also call timeouts, which seems so out of place for this sport lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsdelrRzcA
That looks absolutely horrible. You know the USTA is salivating at this replacing college tennis. Just a desperate ploy for the United States to develop the best player in a sport resembling racquet or table tennis. Disgusting. Nobody under sixty five should be playing this sport.

That looks absolutely horrible. You know the USTA is salivating at this replacing college tennis. Just a desperate ploy for the United States to develop the best player in a sport resembling racquet or table tennis. Disgusting. Nobody under sixty five should be playing this sport.

You hit the nail on the head. This sport was tailor made for senior citizens, and thats the demo that has truly adopted this sport. It's an active sport, but doesn't require much movement. The whiffle ball neutralizes power, so a 70 year old man won't be overpowered by a 25 year old guy. In fact, its more of a tactical sport than a physical sport.

Pickleball was big in my highschool in gymclass. When winter came around and the cycle to choose from volleyball, badminton, weights, etc came around, pickleball was what the upperclassman would play. It was fun to play but only as something fun. Cannot believe it seemingly has a league now.

Reyne

Harrison beating Dimitrov wasn't unexpected. He has been in a big decline since Wimbledon last year and are now experiencing around with new rackets. First he had a new black Wilson stick and since Rotterdam a Head stick. He wont find any form or trust in his game unless he settles with a stick, which tbh, he should have settled in the off season.. Ironically he seems to be channeling his frustration onto his rackets by smashing them almost as frequently as Gulbis. The racket isn't to blame though.

Also, lucky loser Coric beating Murray? Bewildering. I don't think I've ever seen Murray hit so many errors in a single match. Wow.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That was the worst match I have ever seen Murray play, ever, since I started watching him in like 2006. He looked like a Futures level player, genuinely. Absolutely bizzare. 55 unforced errors. 55! In a 6-1 6-3 match! Coric didn't even play well, he had twice as many UEs as winners and most of those winners were relatively tame shots that Murray didn't even bother chasing. I mean, that was a fucking car crash. The fact he didn't get bagelled is itself surprising when he averaged around 3 errors a game.

I don't understand how you can go from pushing Djokovic relatively well in an Australian Open final to playing so badly you would not look out of place outside the top 250. How does that even happen?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Was hoping to watch some of the Federer match, but turned it on to see Gasquet get broken to lose the first 6-1 and then retire. Oh well.

Peru

I
I Believe
I Believe That
I Believe That We Have Watched Murray and Dimitrov play two of the worst matches of the year

Niraj

lol at this Azarenka-Wozniacki match drama

Woz "I don't give a shit, I deserve a first serve" :O

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. Worst call in the history of tennis. Wozniacki hits a 2 MPH 2nd serve serve. It hits the tape and lands like 4 inches wide.....GOING MAYBE ONE MILE AN HOUR and the linesman calls it good @_@

Azarenka OF COURSE challenges that shit because it was going so slow that anyone with eyes could see that it was not a let; it was out. But hawkeye was unavailable (probably because the ball landed so close to the net that the challenge cameras probably couldn't get a good view of it).

*long delay, tournament supervisor comes out to explain the rules*

And Wozniacki gets super greedy and wants a FIRST serve because of the delay
bnzpzya.gif
. She's lucky it wasn't a DF

LuuKyK

Wozniacki making a drama out of that point was hilarious. Her slow ass serve was miles out, it is a wonder how it was called in.

Even then she still lost the game. lmao

That was the worst match I have ever seen Murray play, ever, since I started watching him in like 2006. He looked like a Futures level player, genuinely. Absolutely bizzare. 55 unforced errors. 55! In a 6-1 6-3 match! Coric didn't even play well, he had twice as many UEs as winners and most of those winners were relatively tame shots that Murray didn't even bother chasing. I mean, that was a fucking car crash. The fact he didn't get bagelled is itself surprising when he averaged around 3 errors a game.

I don't understand how you can go from pushing Djokovic relatively well in an Australian Open final to playing so badly you would not look out of place outside the top 250. How does that even happen?
Mental.

Coric is the ultimate opportunist. Did the same to Nadull but Muzza got absolutely wrecked. Remember what Berna said, at his worst he is Murray at his best he's Djokovic.

LuuKyK

Remember what Berna said, at his worst he is Murray at his best he's Djokovic.

That was some really high end shade right there. He is hilarious.

Nike is all over him though. The marketing opportunists are orgasming over the fact that he might "happen" sooner or later.

Berna Coric has some of the most advanced court craft and sense I have ever seen. There really is something to him. He moves back and forth, side to side beautifully taking the ball early when needed, going behind his opponent, changing the pace, the height of the ball. Impeccable stuff.

Was there a rain delay in Acapulco? Harrison and Karlovic are in a 3rd set, and Tomic v. Ferrer is after this match. It's 11:45pm currently. Did they not learn anything from the Rio open last week?

Was there a rain delay in Acapulco? Harrison and Karlovic are in a 3rd set, and Tomic v. Ferrer is after this match. It's 11:45pm currently. Did they not learn anything from the Rio open last week?
No. Womans match and they start th matches way late here.

Ryan has looked so I,press ive this week. Driving the ball, not getting down, problem solving. Still has a ways to go. But I haven't been this impressed by an American player since Andy Roddick vs. Hewitt USopen02.

Harrison never broke Karlovic, but at one point he won 11 straight points in the tiebreakers.

He also had a clutch backhand return winner in that 3rd set tiebreak. A good win for Harrison, I must say.

Reyne

Easy win for Fed. 6-2 6-1. Too much firepower for Coric today.

Tbh, wouldn't have minded a sterner test for Fed, particularly if Djokovic is coming up next. Oh well.

Niraj

Easy win for Fed. 6-2 6-1. Too much firepower for Coric today.

Tbh, wouldn't have minded a sterner test for Fed, particularly if Djokovic is coming up next. Oh well.

Looking like it will be Djokovic. 6-0 first set.

Edit: Venus is looking pretty impressive. Better second set from Berdych too.

Maria ate too much Jalapeños in Mexico and was forced to withdraw. lol

I thought she would know better.
That WTA side of the tournament is a joke.mtournament director needs to work on attracting more players. There was some ITF level talent on display this week. Too bad Lauren :(

Harrison continues to play well. He definitely outplayed Ferrer in the 1st set,

You know, it seems like Harrison has been on the tour forever, but he's only 22. There's still time for him to become a good/possibly great player one day.

edit: Harrison looking to get bageled in the 2nd set

Top Bottom