• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
2011 was the best year of tennis ever, I think. Murray, Djokovic and Nadal all played better in that year than in any other year in their careers, I think - even if Nadal and Murray had more successful years slam-wise, that's only because Djokovic was at an absolutely incredible level. Murray played worse in his 2013 Wimbledon win than he did in pretty much any slam in 2011. Federer was, if admittedly not at his best, also still in very fine form in 2011. Outside the top 4, everyone was also playing very well. It was Isner's best year and his kick serve was absolutely monstrous, Tsonga and Berdych were playing really well, just all round everyone was really good. It also, for me, cements Djokovic's 2011 as the single best year of any professional. Even if statistically some of, say, McEnroe's years appear better, the level of competition Djokovic faced just makes it that much more impressive.

Peru

My god, Ivanovic played and beat Nicole VAIDISOVA in a sometimes tight match , 6-1, 7-6(4). Nicole is serious about this apparently.

Peru

Where is Wes, lol, dude was a first class Vaidisova fanboy.

Vika snatching Serena staff? What's this switcharoo thing going on.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Del Potro says he's aiming to be back by Miami and that he could possibly play doubles with Cilic at Indian Wells. I hope he isn't rushing it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Del Potro got a WC for Indian Wells, can't wait to see him.

Very strange, the article I read yesterday definitely said he was targeting Miami, but now it's been updated to say Indian Wells lol. Wonder if they just fucked up or he changed his mind :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Del Potro really needs to stop ending his recoveries prematurely, or he'll make his career shorter than it already has been.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The crowd in the Ward-Isner match is so fucking pumped it's hilarious.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Smart crowd that knows what's at stake. If Ward beats Isner or Young, they'll win the tie. Ward is one game away from achieving that

Ward really deserves to make the top 100 one day, I really hope he can pull it off.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Ward can play as well in tournaments as he does for his country, then he'll get there.

Sad thing is, that's probably not the case. Not that he doesn't try hard normally - he's an incredible work horse and has a Ferrer-like work ethic - but he just has an extra gear in Davis Cup matches he can't seem to replicate elsewhere. If he played like he is doing now all the time he could probably sneak up into the 60ish, never mind the top 100.

Sad thing is, that's probably not the case. Not that he doesn't try hard normally - he's an incredible work horse and has a Ferrer-like work ethic - but he just has an extra gear in Davis Cup matches he can't seem to replicate elsewhere. If he played like he is doing now all the time he could probably sneak up into the 60ish, never mind the top 100.

You see this in college tennis sometimes. There are players who play much better for their team than in individual tournaments. Being accountable for a team allows them to get in that extra gear. Ward is one of those players

I warned everyone who would listen how pathetic and horrible he is.

Our national nightmare is almost over. He already told the USTA he wouldn't move to Orlando to live near the new Tennis Development Center that opens next year. We've apparently narrowed the field to 6 candidates, and an announcement should be made soon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So happy for James! Up to 106 now, so close!

Faith

Hopefully Borna can recover from this match mentally......
He will

Tough day in Kraljevo. Serbia is 2:0 up after the first day. After Novak Djokovic beat Mate #Delic, I had a great chance to level it up, but Viktor was better. He won 46 16 62 63 61. Thanks for the support and messages! #DavisCup #SRBvsCRO #TeamCroatia

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Coric got injured in the third set, apparently, which explains Troicki's comeback.

Fantastic win by the Bryans. What a team. Gutted with the result but it was an excellent match.

Hopefully Andy will bring it home tomorrow!

[EDIT -
At Wimbledon, the curfew is 11pm, even in the indoor arena. Something about the busses not running after 11pm is the "reason"
It's a London borough issue with noise as far as I know. Events at Hyde Park are the same. On a Friday/Saturday night, there's buses through the night in the part of Glasgow surrounding the Emirates Arena and no noise curfew.]

LuuKyK

Sorry for the DP, but is anyone watching the Brazil x Argentina Davis Cup match? It is already 6 hours and a half long. Must be a record right?

Top Bottom