• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
murray letting another match go off the rails after a good start. 2014 mode activated.

kohli made a pretty insane shot there to get a set point.

LuuKyK

Bencic won against Wozniacki, crazy!

Always a good day when she loses. She literally will never change her game, and her only ability is to push the ball back endlessly. Her forehand is horrid looking. Her game overall is a bore to watch. Good to see the young players rising to the ocasion.

mcfrank

Wrapping up my day at Indian Wells with djoker, was able to see quite a few matches. Back tomorrow for another 12 hour day of tennis. If you get a chance to come to this tourney, I highly recommend it. Let's go Ramos-Vinolas!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wrapping up my day at Indian Wells with djoker, was able to see quite a few matches. Back tomorrow for another 12 hour day of tennis. If you get a chance to come to this tourney, I highly recommend it. Let's go Ramos-Vinolas!

Oh cool man. Glad you're having a good time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kokkinakis vs. Tomic looks to be an interesting match up. I'm not sold on Kygrios, Borna would manhandle him.

I'm fairly confident Kygrios would beat Coric right now. Coric's RoS would struggle to deal with what Kygrios can produce, and Kygrios can generate a lot more power at the moment. Not sure who has the better future.

Diamond

Both have shown that they don't "fear" to play big four status opponents, so to me it's a good indicator that they will be able to step up their game in future big matches. It's really hard to tell how far they'll go at this point, or if one of them will have the upper hand in their future head to heads. Kyrgios sure seems to have matured a little bit sooner than everyone else from this generation, but I must say it's not a good thing to see him struggle with injuries this soon in his career. With the type of game he develops, he'll have to build quickly a strong physique if he wants to reach the very top and stay there for a few years.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Both have shown that they don't "fear" to play big four status opponents, so to me it's a good indicator that they will be able to step up their game in future big matches. It's really hard to tell how far they'll go at this point, or if one of them will have the upper hand in their future head to heads. Kyrgios sure seems to have matured a little bit sooner than everyone else from this generation, but I must say it's not a good thing to see him struggle with injuries this soon in his career. With the type of game he develops, he'll have to build quickly a strong physique if he wants to reach the very top and stay there for a few years.

I'm not sure it is too unusual. Ymer and Kokkinakis are also both front-runners for their generations, and both have struggled with injury problems. I think the predominance of slow-moving high-bouncing hard courts is really damaging the ability of youngsters to break through. Coric isn't as affected as much because if anything his game thrives on being able to take away pace and focus on moving people around instead, but all of the big-hitting youngsters have had noticeablely long injury breaks at this point.

Incidentally, it's the same reason I think people are ruling out Tomic waaaay too early. Dude has already had double-hip surgery and had coaching problems outside of that, he has huge development potential. When he first broke through everyone was like "future no.1" and now everyone has already moved on. I don't think people have caught onto the fact development takes a lot longer and is a lot harder these days.

Also, the more I watch Coric the more I think he plays like young Murray and not young Djokovic.

Birdshit is just too complete for Johnson. It was admirable for him to get this far though.

The only thing that can stop Borna from being the number one player in the world is if he starts training with the USTA. Nishioka has been a disappointment and I haven't been too impressed with lil Zverev. Might see him play in person tomorrow though.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
nadal is of course going to win in straights, but i can't imagine it will do wonders for his confidence to be struggling to hold serve against donald young.

Cuddler

What is happening to Flavia Pennetta? She is crying???
EDIT:Don't know what happened but she seems to feel better and also won the second set.
EDIT2:And now she won against Sharapova, thankfully she is smiling during the interview.

Worst draw for Maria but I'm not too invested in this IW, just watching for the laughs.

I can't recall you investing in any tournament since Maria won her first French Open. Probably for the best. She has her career slam and isn't in contention to be a GOAT so any other accomplishments for her are just icing.

Yeah kind of disappointed in that.
I wanted to see him go up against Muzza. Must be saving himself for the majors.

Somebody has got to get Soxk from standing so far behind the baseline. He doesn't have the movement or court craft for it. Sure he can surprise Fed tonight, but it's not a winning strategy for maximum results.

Kobe24

Federer has his ground strokes on a 10 for the last 6 months(aside from Aussie Open) Too much for these peasants. Jack Sock go home man.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wow, I can't believe Isner got that over. Thought that was going in the net for sure. Not that it mattered.

Top Bottom