• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the score, I'm missing out on a high level final aren't I :(

It started okay. Second set was dreadful. I mean, they obviously both have incredible defense, but Novak won't be aggressive, ever, and when Murray is aggressive he nets it 50% of the time.

Second set Murray 11 winners, 12 UEs; Djokovic 9 winners, 15 UEs.

szaromir

Banned
If Murray hadn't clowned and sent every ball into the net in that tiebreak he'd be holding the trophy now. Hopefully no pathetic chokes from him now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dear fucking me, the overheads in this match. So damn bad!

Xun

Whilst it feels unlikely at the moment, hopefully Murray can somehow win his first match against Djokovic since 2013.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Novak with Federer-esque break point conversion.

Amazing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They can't hit an overhead between them. Let it bounce, for fuck's sake.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it is exhaustion. This is a three-setter. He's just giving up.

This should already have been 6-0 but Novak is terrible at BP conversion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He's clearly not even bothering any more. Four second serves in a row, three UEs in a row.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
lel

someone in the crowd just said "Andy try to look like you're giving a fuck" in a rather strong Scottish accent.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He's not eclipsing 17, but I think he has a fair shot at longest time as number 1. I mean, I can't see anyone replacing him in the next 3 years.

ghstwrld

CB2h9lRVIAEefAb.jpg

laugh.gif

Diamond

Haha, nice ! :)

He's not eclipsing 17, but I think he has a fair shot at longest time as number 1. I mean, I can't see anyone replacing him in the next 3 years.

Novak will turn 28 next month, he won't be able to have the physical edge he has on the others for that long, especially with all the young talents who will mature during the next three years. If he wants the record he will have to find other ways to win.
I'd also argue that in the case he wins the French in the next two years, which is a possibility considering Nadal is declining, he'll have to deal with a motivation problem : when you've won everything, it's harder to be at your best every week.

those overheads were embarrassing.

Neither of them really need them to win, usually. It's sad but it's true.

Peru

The big story the last week for me has been Martina Hingis and Mirza rolling through Indian Wells and Miami to take both titles after joining up. Honestly the thing I'm most excited about following in Slams this summer.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Novak will turn 28 next month, he won't be able to have the physical edge he has on the others for that long, especially with all the young talents who will mature during the next three years. If he wants the record he will have to find other ways to win.
I'd also argue that in the case he wins the French in the next two years, which is a possibility considering Nadal is declining, he'll have to deal with a motivation problem : when you've won everything, it's harder to be at your best every week.

Yeah, but which young talent is going to be ready in the next 3 years? Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov aren't young talent; they're in their prime. Nishikori might snatch some time at no.1, but I doubt it. Kyrgios and Coric might just about be ready before 3 years is up, but it'd be a stretch.

Top Bottom