• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wawrinka really should have kept his Godwrinka form and won the semi, we might have had an interesting match.

MIMIC

Banned
Handled :)

KJJbNoQ.gif

Diamond

Don't really see someone beating a 100% fit Djokovic at Roland Garros this year. He's objectively the best on clay right now. It's all about him not getting an injury and managing the pressure related to accomplishing the career slam from now on. It's never over before the score is announced on sunday, but he's in the best of positions. We'll see how it goes.

Its like a big mobile app on the big screen AKA it sucks.

A lot of recent websites redesigns have looked like that (espn.com)

I mean, I get why they do it. They want to merge the look and feel of their mobile site and standard site so there's no major differences on the site regardless of what device the user is browsing with. But adding a bunch of pictures that take up the entire screen to scroll through is unacceptable. And any website creator 101 course would tell you to have a menu bar visible at the top of the page so its quick to navigate to what you want to look at. The new rolandgarros.com has a drop down menu that's invisible unless you click on it. So dumb

MIMIC

Banned
I was mother fucking CLUTCH today ^_^ My friend was SERVING for the set at 5-2 and I came back to win it 7-5
fPF3qgF.gif

Sometimes when I play, I don't actually have any strategy in mind. And it usually works out for me; I just go out there and improvise every point. And I'm not exactly dialed in, either. I don't usually get dialed in unless I'm on the brink of losing -_____-

At 5-2, I really didn't CARE if I lost, but I certainly never want to lose. So I just got really focused and made him work. And of course he got nervous because he has never taken the 1st set against me. He double faulted at break point.

I hate using the word "variety" because it gets associated with anyone who has a 1HBH/decent BH slice but I definitely gave him a lot of looks. The short BH slice to draw him into the net worked really well. And the short BH slice return that somehow turns into a drop shot worked well, too.

At 5-5, I knew I had him :)

And the thing is that he was playing REALLY well. I got passed at least 4 times when I tried to come to the net. >_<

But one thing I noticed with him is that all of his defensive shots (FH and BH) are slices. I'll slice my FH like once every 15 points, whereas this guy will do it in every rally. So all you have to do is pull him to the FH and sneak in for the put away.

MIMIC

Banned
Some notable accomplishments by Djokovic after winning Rome:

-Wins 24th Masters title; surpasses Federer's total (23) and becomes 2nd only to Nadal (27)
-Defends a clay title for the first time
-Extends Open Era record of consecutive Masters finals won to 12 (the last final he lost was Cincinnati 2012)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We all know Rome basically doesn't count, though - Clayray had to pull out. Should be asterisked in the record books.

So French Open qualifying starts in 12 hours and I can't find the draw on rolandgarros.com anywhere. If someone is able to dig it up on that God awful website let me know.

edit: As soon as I posted that, they uploaded it. jeez. They aren't even putting the country abbreviation by the players names. so dumb

LuuKyK

You guys saw what genie's coach said? That 2015 is irrelevant for her, since they are preparing/changing her game for 2016. Like what!?

Maybe its just to take off some of the pressure on her, but he shouldnt have said that with 3 grand slams yet to be played and ones that she has lots of points to defend. Also everyone will expect her game to be completely different/improved next year and if she doesnt deliver... Oh boy.

scarlet

You guys saw what genie's coach said? That 2015 is irrelevant for her, since they are preparing/changing her game for 2016. Like what!?

Maybe its just to take off some of the pressure on her, but he shouldnt have said that with 3 grand slams yet to be played and ones that she has lots of points to defend. Also everyone will expect her game to be completely different/improved next year and if she doesnt deliver... Oh boy.

LOL.

Like I said, Ana 2.0

Poor Hyeon Chung. Even though he is now top 70, he was forced to try to qualify for the French open. He just lost first round in qualifying, and it's his 19th birthday today too

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the Korean tournament was on hard court. I guess he never really had a chance

He got unlucky with that. If he'd got the points he did a week before, he'd have been an entrant to the main draw and would have some rest and clay practice before his next match. Could have got some good R1 points with a little draw luck. Still, R1 points alone are nice but not propelling him anywhere, he's doing well on the Challenger circuit so this is only a minor setback.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nadal-Federer will be scheduled as QF match 'cause the organizers want that dollah and can't risk hoping for a SF.

Future superstar Alexander Zverev has won the Challenger tournament in Heilbronn and is now in the Top 100 for the first time.

He made top 100 after the French Open registration deadline, so he tried to qualify and lost 2nd round. Him and Hyeon Chung will both play main draw Wimbledon at least.

Top Bottom