• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, "hater" is too strong but I think she's over-rated and more than a little irritating.

LuuKyK

I mean, "hater" is too strong but I think she's over-rated and more than a little irritating.

Why is she irritating though? She literally did nothing to warrant that treatment. If she is overhyped you certainly can't blame her, but whoever is hyping her up AKA the media and the WTA. She has nothing to do with it. Or you want her to say "yeah stop making me famous and earning me a shitload of money, I don't deserve it!"? She is just going with the flow like anyone else in her place would.

MIMIC

Banned
Can't decide whether or not to believe this, but if true, it is absolutely dispicable:

As Rafael Nadal prepares to defend his French Open crown in Paris next week, his time-wasting is making a mockery of the tennis rulebook. The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Carlos Bernardes, the last umpire to seriously challenge Nadal on this point, has been withdrawn from Nadal’s matches since and is unlikely to officiate him at Roland Garros.

The bad blood between the two dates back to Feb 22, and the semi-final of the Rio Open. Bernardes followed the letter of the law by handing Nadal two time violation penalties for exceeding the 25-second limit between points, the second of which cost him a first serve. In a Spanish exchange captured by the courtside microphones, a furious Nadal then told Bernardes: “I will make sure that you don’t arbitrate me anymore.” Clearly agitated, he went on to lose to Fabio Fognini in three sets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...l-Nadal-makes-a-mockery-of-the-rule-book.html

The tone of the article is unquestionably biased, which is why I'm a little reluctant to believe it.

miserable

Can't decide whether or not to believe this, but if true, it is absolutely dispicable:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...l-Nadal-makes-a-mockery-of-the-rule-book.html

The tone of the article is unquestionably biased, which is why I'm a little reluctant to believe it.

It must be true, ever since that incident i've been following Bernardes and he has not been in any of Nadal's matches.
Although what Rafa said to him was "i'll ask for you to not officiate my matches" which is a bit different than "i'll make sure"

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Nadal will fall out of the Top10 because of Djokovic lol.

Yes what will happen exactly when he loses in the 1/4 final? How many places could he possibly drop on the ranking?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There's is no way in living hell that Federer's draw was not fixed. Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray in the other half, his lapdog Wawrinka for the quarters and Nishikori set up to deal with Berdych for him.

Xun

I've finally booked a ticket for the ATP World Tour Finals in November.

I'm only going on the 15th (the first day), but it should be good.

I just checked my tennis match record online and I didn't realize how bad of a losing streak I was on.... I have lost in the 1st round in my last 5 tournaments :/

Hopefully I can end that streak when I play my next tournament in a couple of weeks. Otherwise I'll be approaching Donald Young levels of suckage.

Faith

Djokovic won't win a single GS title this year. He had his one good season and now he is back to the reality: just a mediocre GS champion and nowhere near Nadal or Federer.

Faith

Today I stopped being a tennis fan...

So I had my last tennis match of my life today and broke my 5th racket in 3 years of playing tennis. I was playing my best tennis 1 year ago and started declining and declining. Now I'm back to playing my 1st year level of tennis. I don't want to waste any more time or money. I'm done. And I also stopped being a Djokovic fan. This clown doesn't deserve the French Open title and will never be near Nadal or Federer in terms of success. He is just a loser. He's lucky if he gets to 10 GS titles by the end of his career. Just a mediocre GS champion, nothing more. It's kind of strange that it happened on the same day. I lost my love for playing tennis myself and also for Djokovic.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I am not making the Wimbledon thread. I jinxed my faves with the RG one. t_t

Murray won the US Open when I made the US Open thread, so logically I should make the Wimbledon one.

szaromir

Banned

So I had my last tennis match of my life today and broke my 5th racket in 3 years of playing tennis. I was playing my best tennis 1 year ago and started declining and declining. Now I'm back to playing my 1st year level of tennis. I don't want to waste any more time or money. I'm done. And I also stopped being a Djokovic fan. This clown doesn't deserve the French Open title and will never be near Nadal or Federer in terms of success. He is just a loser. He's lucky if he gets to 10 GS titles by the end of his career. Just a mediocre GS champion, nothing more. It's kind of strange that it happened on the same day. I lost my love for playing tennis myself and also for Djokovic.

You might need to think about again in a few days.

pretty amazing that djokovic has now lost as many grand slam finals as federer.
Fed was just incredible back in his prime.

Faith

1. Djokovic 13.845
2. Federer 9.415
3. Murray 7.040
4. Wawrinka 5.835 (+5)
5. Nishikori 5.570
6. Berdych 5.050 (-2)
7. Ferrer 4.490 (+1)
8. Raonic 4.440 (-2)
9. Cilic 3.460 (+1)
10. Nadal 2.930 (-3)

Diamond

Seriously, as I wrote in the Roland Garros thread, if anything Djokovic came out of this match as a bigger champion for me. His reaction after he lost was really touching and classy. You should be proud to support him. Stan and him gave us a great match, that's why we watch tennis in the first place.
Concerning your tennis, hey, I'm just someone on the internet but I'd say don't give up. It's an incredibly difficult sport to master, it's frustrating (I've lost all my matches this season thus far so I know what I'm talking about :) ) but that's why it's so rewarding when you manage to play it well, even a few days a year. Give yourself some time to think, maybe try to expect a bit less from yourself, analyse where it doesn't work and go practicing.

Murray won the US Open when I made the US Open thread, so logically I should make the Wimbledon one.

Go ahead ! I'm actually pretty excited to see how things will go at Wimbledon, with Novak having to digest his loss, Murray playing better, Federer and Nadal not at their best, it will be a very open tournament.

scarlet

Take time and don't be so hard on yourself.

8Lff7dh.gif

Are you gonna make the OT? If you don't, I kinda wanna make it.

You'll be back. Tennis is life a drug. You may want to quit, but in the end it won't let you. I've had those same defeatist realizations after bombing in a tennis match where I find myself asking "Why am I even playing tennis? I'm always going to fuck up like this. I should just quit and play golf." Then I go play some golf for a while and realize that I'm much better in tennis, so I pick up my racket again and register for another tournament. It's a cycle I've been on since I started playing tennis 14 years ago.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wawrinka saying he's not as good as the big four is him probably being humble but c'mon, how can you not feel like a god winning Roland Garros with what is probably the fastest dethronement of the new king of clay in recent history. He probably only plays on a level above the big four when he's zoning but this guy seems to pull it out whenever he wants currently

Also I quit tennis for a year and came back being better than ever within four months. Tennis can't be something you just do if you're good at it, it stays and becomes a part of life, in an addicting way too like perfectchaos said

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are you gonna make the OT? If you don't, I kinda wanna make it.

I'll make the OT, but I'll take votes for the tagline in here first. Right now I'm mulling over |OT| Underground, overground, wombling free or |OT| 6–4, 3–6, 6–7(9), 7–6(7), 70–68

scarlet

Wawrinka saying he's not as good as the big four is him probably being humble but c'mon, how can you not feel like a god winning Roland Garros with what is probably the fastest dethronement of the new king of clay in recent history. He probably only plays on a level above the big four when he's zoning but this guy seems to pull it out whenever he wants currently

Also I quit tennis for a year and came back being better than ever within four months. Tennis can't be something you just do if you're good at it, it stays and becomes a part of life, in an addicting way too like perfectchaos said

He isn't consistent enough. He played the match out of his life in the right time. But not all the time.

I'll make the OT, but I'll take votes for the tagline in here first. Right now I'm mulling over |OT| Underground, overground, wombling free or |OT| 6–4, 3–6, 6–7(9), 7–6(7), 70–68

None :p

Top Bottom