• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

ghstwrld

JyzKLDg.jpg

I love the grass court season. I just wish there were more tournaments on it. Despite being a massive Nadal fan, I don't care much for the red dirt. Bring on Wimbledon and Nadal's dodgy knees leading to a 2R knockout. Still, I'm hoping the extra week and the fact he's been terrible on the clay might lead to something other than a first week exit.

sam777

I love the grass court season. I just wish there were more tournaments on it. Despite being a massive Nadal fan, I don't care much for the red dirt. Bring on Wimbledon and Nadal's dodgy knees leading to a 2R knockout. Still, I'm hoping the extra week and the fact he's been terrible on the clay might lead to something other than a first week exit.

Nadal has got this. People forget he made 5 finals in a row before his early round exits. Maybe the extra preparation on grass might have a good affect on him.

It kind of makes me sad to see that pic. We're nearing the end of an incredible era. Who knows how many more Wimbledon's Roger has in him. Not that many. It's been a pleasure watching Nadal beat him in all those slams.
I'm joking. Well, kind of.

I don't think we'll ever get that Nadal/Federer match-up in the US Open to complete the set. Tommy Fucking Robredo.

scarlet

How old are you guys?

It's kinda sad I didn't watch Peak Graff and Seles when I was growing up. I started watching tennis in 1996 around Hingis era, so I can't really compare Graff vs Serena.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
OT is nearly finished. Up either tonight or tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
isn't wimbledon like three weeks away? usually ops go up about day or two before the event in question happens.

Yeah but then I have three weeks less of bitching about Dimitrov. Logic.

You're right though, I'll probably do it after Queen's and Halles.

szaromir

Banned
Typically grand slam OTs get opened after the draw ceremony.

Baghdatis really should have won this match by now, at least he's won the 2nd set.

Typically grand slam OTs get opened after the draw ceremony.

Baghdatis really should have won this match by now, at least he's won the 2nd set.

At least wait until the seeds are announced. But as long as he updates the OP when draws, updated draws are released, then it doesn't matter when he initially posts the thread. It just may be dead for a while until the play starts. I'm down to discuss Wimbledon qualifying the week leading up in that thread

How old are you guys?

It's kinda sad I didn't watch Peak Graff and Seles when I was growing up. I started watching tennis in 1996 around Hingis era, so I can't really compare Graff vs Serena.

I'm 37. I grew up watching tennis in the 80s. It was kind of fantastic and depressing at the same time, because in the UK, the sport only existed for two weeks a year. Still, I became attached to Lendl and was desperate for him to achieve his impossible quest and win Wimbledon. So, I was pleased to see him link up with Murray and guide him to that elusive slam. I'd have loved to have seen Lendl in the other majors, but TV, such as it was back then, didn't show the sport beyond the grass court season. Peak Graff was great, but I had a thing for Gabriela Sabatini despite the dodgy 80s haircut.

My favourite Wimbledon moment - Ivansevic winning at the fourth attempt

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
21, and half British half Australian.

I worshipped Hewitt. Wore the cap backwards and everything.

Diamond

29 here, I was a football (soccer) fan at first when I was little but tennis gradually won me over. At first I was angry when Roland Garros interrupted my cartoons when I was back home from school, then I started to enjoy watching.

Started watching more seriously in the mid 90's, was a big Kafelnikov fan, liked Agassi and Sampras like everybody else I guess. Over the years I tried to not only watch more (tennis coverage wasn't great in France before cable and satellite broadcasts became widespread), but to catch up with older eras, especially the Borg/McEnroe/Connors/Lendl one which I regret not experiencing live. Thankfully nowadays it's quite easy to find the best matches online.

I kind of regret not liking tennis earlier, could have been better at it if I started to play younger (started at about 14, 15 I think). I learned judo instead, wasn't really my cup of tea. :D

Back to the news : Interesting article by Magnus Norman after Stan win last week.

Looks like I'm poised to get my butt kicked in a tennis tournament tomorrow. One of my racket frames broke last week so I had to order 2 new rackets, and they are new models because they don't make the old model anymore. These are 30g heavier, and I tried them out last night and couldn't get a good feel at all. The good shots I made felt like accidents, and the some of my shots that didn't go in, felt good. I still have one of my old rackets left, and I'm highly considering just playing with it, but if those strings break then I'm screwed and will be forced to switch over to my new sticks.

Diamond

Looks like I'm poised to get my butt kicked in a tennis tournament tomorrow. One of my racket frames broke last week so I had to order 2 new rackets, and they are new models because they don't make the old model anymore. These are 30g heavier, and I tried them out last night and couldn't get a good feel at all. The good shots I made felt like accidents, and the some of my shots that didn't go in, felt good. I still have one of my old rackets left, and I'm highly considering just playing with it, but if those strings break then I'm screwed and will be forced to switch over to my new sticks.

Which brand/model are you using ?
30 grams is indeed a big difference, I remember experiencing with lead tapes and 10 grams already felt like a different racket. You have to get used to it, maybe over time you can control the weight (it can bring more stability to your shots) but if you play a tournament I'd advise to play with your old racket, that's a kinda bad time to make experiments.

Which brand/model are you using ?
30 grams is indeed a big difference, I remember experiencing with lead tapes and 10 grams already felt like a different racket. You have to get used to it, maybe over time you can control the weight (it can bring more stability to your shots) but if you play a tournament I'd advise to play with your old racket, that's a kinda bad time to make experiments.

Yeah I think I will. I've only played 2 matches with my old racket since its last string job, so hopefully it can last me through the weekend. If it doesn't, then I'll be forced to get used to my new sticks in a hurry.

Also, apparently some amateur tennis videographer will be streaming some matches this weekend at the tournament. If for some reason he streams one of my matches I'll post a link so you can all watch me suck it up haha

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I've started using a two-handed forehand and...

...it feels really natural. Like, I have less power but so much more control it isn't even funny. Fabrice Santoro suddenly makes sense (sort of).

LuuKyK

Guys, I've started using a two-handed forehand and...

...it feels really natural. Like, I have less power but so much more control it isn't even funny. Fabrice Santoro suddenly makes sense (sort of).

I tried it a few times too, its quite comfortable actually. And yeah, the control you have over the direction of the ball is like night and day. Much better.

Ricker

Ricker

Just found out that a Bane mask is used in training to simulate training at high altitude,so Genie Bouchard using it makes sense,I thought it was a joke lol...

IISANDERII

What are the streaming options for Wimbledon? I used Hola Unblocker to watch the French Open live on itv, but I dunno if it'll be the same for Wimbledon.

Top Bottom