• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Now we have the draw I'll put the |OT| up. Should be there in a few hours.

My picks of R1 Men's:

Djokovic v Kohlschreiber (Djokovic's first match on grass in 2015)
Nieminen v Hewitt
L. Mayer v Kokkinakis
Gabashvili v Zverev
Ferrer v Ward (British interest)
Bellucci v Nadal
Dolgopolov v Edmund (British interest)
Almagro v Simon

Murray could potentially have to go through Tsonga, Ferrer/Nadal, Federer and Djokovic if he is to win, so on paper it looks like he got a hard draw. Djokovic looks to have the easiest path of the big guns, if you expect Wawrinka to be a bit more vulnerable on grass. Federer should cruise to the QFs where he runs in to Berdych.

i just hope Nadal doesn't get lucky and Djoker and Murray crash and burn.

Hopefully Federer can take Murray and Djoker loses early somewhere. not gonna happen tho.

Uzzy

Looks like Lisicki has a fairly clear path to the fourth round at least, where she might face Halep, Woz or Kerber in the quarters, Kvitova in the semis and finally Serena or Sharapova in the final.

Easy stuff. Lets go Lisicki!

The first man to come from two sets down to win at this year's Wimbledon was Luke Saville, the 21 year old from Australia, who beat Luca Vanni from that deficit in the final round of qualifying. Always think it's a very good sign when a young player can show such tenacity. He has Richard Gasquet in round one.

sam777

Rafa going smash this tournament.
Please Rafa get number 15.

Hopefully Lisicki is on form this tournament as she can beat anyone on her day on grass.

Sat down to watch Bencic/Wozniacki and, er, yeah. Really hope Wozniacki is recovered for Wimbledon, but she's got to be a major doubt now. Looking forward to tomorrow's final between Radwanska and Bencic - will be a big win for either of them and should be a great match. Bencic is chasing her first ATP tour win at only 18 years of age, while Radwanska is hopefully coming back to form after a very poor run of results since winning in Montreal last year. Really like Bencic's game from what I've seen of it - good depth of shot, good defense - while Radwanska is my favourite female player.

Djokovic should get through his no bother, can't see him losing to Wawrinka on grass but then I couldn't see him losing the french either. Murray has a rough draw on paper but I'd be amazed if he had that as his second week, and even if he did having nadal and then federer is nowhere near the challenge it once was. I'd be vaguely amazed if Nadal made it past the first week.

Lego Boss

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Federer and Nadal would play each other in the semis (if they get that far)?

Think Nadal would have to overcome Murray in the QF first and Fed would have to beat Djokivic (I think).

Unlikely to see this this year I don't think. Nadal looks worn out, and I think the only person who can live with Novak is Murray.

Murray v Novak final. Think Murray will (and should) win on grass.

zero_suit

Think Nadal would have to overcome Murray in the QF first and Fed would have to beat Djokivic (I think).

Unlikely to see this this year I don't think. Nadal looks worn out, and I think the only person who can live with Novak is Murray.

I hope so. Novak has his number everywhere else.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Fed, Nadal, and Murray are in the same half. But yeah, Nadal would have to likely beat Murray in the QFs, but if (big if) Federer and Nadal were to play each other, it would have to be in one of the two semis.

Don't see any reason why Rafa isn't walking away withe title in his hands just over a fortnight from now. No opponents to hurt him on fresh grass and he will be in top form when it turns to dust.

Ayy this the tennis thread?
I got suthin fu ya
9c5BcAK.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
crab, your work ethic is very disappointing.

I started it yesterday and then accidentally got rid of it all and had to have a ly dow. ;_; Hopefully it is sufficiently pretty to make up for that wait.

Mark Philippoussis was granted a wildcard into Newport qualifying and lost his match 7-6, 7-6. Not a bad effort for a guy who's almost 40 years old now.

Also, in a few weeks, Vicky Duval is expected to be back on tour.
She defeated Hodgkins Lymphoma just last year and finally feels ready to play competitively again. If you guys haven't seen her TEDx talk yet, it's definitely worth a watch.

Serena Williams is actually playing Bastad. She won today against the world No. 215 Ysaline Bonaventure 6-2, 6-1. Klara Koukalova, who she will play tomorrow, should prove a tougher test. Sam Stosur is already out, beaten by Mona Barthel.

As well as the possibility of a calendar Slam, Serena still has the chance to achieve one of the all-time greatest win-loss records in a season. The complete list of records is here. She is currently 40-1 for 2015.

Serena Williams is actually playing Bastad. She won today against the world No. 215 Ysaline Bonaventure 6-2, 6-1. Klara Koukalova, who she will play tomorrow, should prove a tougher test. Sam Stosur is already out, beaten by Mona Barthel.

As well as the possibility of a calendar Slam, Serena still has the chance to achieve one of the all-time greatest win-loss records in a season. The complete list of records is here. She is currently 40-1 for 2015.

lololololol

MIMIC

Banned

In other words: the Novak Djokovic show!

That's crazy that he has 18 top 10 wins already. This time in 2011, he only had 15.

And LOL @ Tomic being arrested. Coming on the heels of that Tennis of Australia "hall of shame" fiasco, it has just been getting worse and worse for Bernie.

In other words: the Novak Djokovic show!

That's crazy that he has 18 top 10 wins already. This time in 2011, he only had 15.

And LOL @ Tomic being arrested. Coming on the heels of that Tennis of Australia "hall of shame" fiasco, it has just been getting worse and worse for Bernie.

And Australia is blowing a great opportunity to make it to the Davis Cup semi-finals. They are playing freaking Kazakhstan, and Kyrgios lost to freaking #115 NEDOVYESOV

Kokkinakis also lost to kukushkin.

Diamond

And Australia is blowing a great opportunity to make it to the Davis Cup semi-finals. They are playing freaking Kazakhstan, and Kyrgios lost to freaking #115 NEDOVYESOV

Kokkinakis also lost to kukushkin.

Kazakhstan isn't a particularly easy team to play in Davis Cup. Switzerland, having both Federer and Wawrinka, at home, and on indoor courts, had a very hard time against them last year.

Diamond

I had no idea he had been that dominant. That's...unreal.

Yeah he's far ahead this year. Purely in his game I find him a tiny bit less impressive than in 2011, but mentally and tactically he manages to produce a difference in every match he plays. Makes you realize what Stan did at the French was really something.

The Canadian team is disgraceful. They are rolling with Dancevic and Peliwo. No Raonic or Pospisil.

Same tactics in France : the match is on grass, Gasquet was in a Wimbledon semi-final a week ago... And he's going to play doubles.

Dispatch

Yeah he's far ahead this year. Purely in his game I find him a tiny bit less impressive than in 2011, but mentally and tactically he manages to produce a difference in every match he plays. Makes you realize what Stan did at the French was really something.

Maybe that's why I'm surprised at the stats. He "felt" more dominant in 2011, at least to the eye, as if he hit more outright winners then.

I don't feel like looking up the stats for that, though. :)

Good match between Simon and Murray going on atm.
Looks like Murray's alter ego drunk Murray has showed up.

that second set was fucking brutal. no idea how murray got through that. though it's only 1 set all and murray looks done. trying to win a davis cup tie with one player is a risky business.

Top Bottom