• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Still can't believe Djokovic hasn't even won a set in the final here in 5 tries.

Anyone think Serena-Halep will be competitive? Or an annihilation?

Who Murray? Nah.
Nadal will return from the dead.
Please at least make the semi's.

And if you're talking about the French you would rather face Wawrinka than, Nadal and Murray in consecutive rounds.

Agreed. There's an argument that Djokovic burned himself out by the time he played Wawrinka. He mentally and physically gave everything he had to ensure his win against Nadal, then didn't have the stuff to compete with Wawrinka. Also, Wawrinka was playing out of his mind in the final.

szaromir

Banned
And if you're talking about the French you would rather face Wawrinka than, Nadal and Murray in consecutive rounds.
Wawrinka was the player in the tournament, period. So drawing him turned out to be the worst possible QF draw. Of course, Roger probably wouldn't get past Nadal either, but that's another thing.

the one time I wanted djokovic to win and he can't. dammit. from a murray fan perspective I reckon I'd rather have Murray in Djokovic's half, assuming there's no early upsets for fed. he looks so good right now and something about Murray's current game just cannot hang with federer's, though i suppose him keeping with him mostly other than one game and a few dodgy points was a good-ish sign.

sam777

Wawrinka was the player in the tournament, period. So drawing him turned out to be the worst possible QF draw. Of course, Roger probably wouldn't get past Nadal either, but that's another thing.

For the US Open would you prefer Nishikori or Murray in Fed's half?

szaromir

Banned
For the US Open would you prefer Nishikori or Murray in Fed's half?

I would like Roger to win one more major, draws are of no consequence. He's done well against either player recently.

Finger's crossed Serena wins her match. Cincinnati is the only big title she's missing.

Niraj

I would like Roger to win one more major, draws are of no consequence. He's done well against either player recently.

Finger's crossed Serena wins her match. Cincinnati is the only big title she's missing.

Didn't Serena win here last year?

88random

Fed was too good today. And that was some awesome returning, for the whole week

CNHI9d4WoAAfcTh.png

milanbaros

Member?
Unbelievable that fed has been able to keep playing at the level he does. He may not win another major but he has had the most incredible career.

Unbelievable that fed has been able to keep playing at the level he does. He may not win another major but he has had the most incredible career.

Hasn't made a final since 2009. Shocked me when he said that. If he's in the Nishikori half, he should definitely make the final this year if he plays at this level

Niraj

Wow that was a ballsy decision from Halep, too bad it didn't pan out. Second set was decent.

szaromir

Banned
Hasn't made a final since 2009. Shocked me when he said that. If he's in the Nishikori half, he should definitely make the final this year if he plays at this level
Dunno, too many "shocking" defeats in recent years to make any predictions about Roger's result (especially the loss to Seppi at the AO this year - who saw that one coming?).

Guys, can I make the USO |OT|?

Dunno, too many "shocking" defeats in recent years to make any predictions about Roger's result (especially the loss to Seppi at the AO this year - who saw that one coming?).

That new chip and charge 2nd serve return may be the X Factor to throw off some opponents. He does it about once every other return game, and it definitely keeps the server on his toes.

Niraj

I say go for it, don't think anyone has said anything about wanting to do it.

Niraj

i knew someone would say that, that's why i put it in quotation marks. it's still in the US and there were barely any seats taken when i watched, maybe it filled out later.

If they wanted people to be there, they should have had the women's final first :p every time I've gone to Cincinnati (QFs), they end on a women's match after the main draw men's match (Roger the three times I've gone), and most people are just milling about outside of the court. The ones who stay are usually pretty inattentive and rude (openly talking loudly during points, yelling out, reading books, so on). Though when I saw Serena there earlier during the day, her court was super packed.

Qualies and New Haven/Winston Salem.
Halep has made 2 consecutive finals and for some reason she's playing New Haven this week. I'm surprised she hasn't withdrew.

Probably because she's five points behind Serena in the US Open Series standings. http://www.emiratesusopenseries.com/Standings/

Although obviously Serena won't care about it, but I can imagine a fairly young player prioritising winning it to maximise prize money.

If they wanted people to be there, they should have had the women's final first :p every time I've gone to Cincinnati (QFs), they end on a women's match after the main draw men's match (Roger the three times I've gone), and most people are just milling about outside of the court. The ones who stay are usually pretty inattentive and rude (openly talking loudly during points, yelling out, reading books, so on). Though when I saw Serena there earlier during the day, her court was super packed.

This. In the US-Open, when the women play last on the night session after the men, half the stadium leaves. It's done in the name of equality, but unfortunately billy jean king and the feminists can't force the fans to stay for the womens match. If the ladies went first, they would have a much larger audience

Probably because she's five points behind Serena in the US Open Series standings. http://www.emiratesusopenseries.com/Standings/

Although obviously Serena won't care about it, but I can imagine a fairly young player prioritising winning it to maximise prize money.

Ah, so maybe Halep collects her first round win then withdraws. I think a first round win will give her the points needed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, so maybe Halep collects her first round win then withdraws. I think a first round win will give her the points needed.

She doesn't even need to win, your points get doubled as a bonus if you attend at least three separate US Open series events, which is how Querrey managed to do it a few years back. Halep could retire at 0-0 and beat Serena to the pay-out.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Federer defeating Djokovic in a masters final? Lawd have mercy those were some good ass shots he displayed. This guy's hitpoint during that HUGE forehand at 2-2 in the first set was perfect. It was like there wasn't even a microsecond margin of error from the point of contact to the windshield wiper motion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Why? Genuinely baffled. That's just giving away free money.

she also could have eliminated serena from last year's championship tournament by losing a match in straights, but instead lost in three and then went on to lose to serena in the final. she is not good at planning things. or she has a very strict moral code.

Niraj

Yeah, and now Serena will get a huge bonus if she ties Steffi Graf's slam record winning this year's USO.

Pliskova, Radwanska, and Svitolina can all take the US Open series this week depending on how they perform. I think Pliskova and Svitolina have to make the quarters while Radwanska has to make the final.

she also could have eliminated serena from last year's championship tournament by losing a match in straights, but instead lost in three and then went on to lose to serena in the final. she is not good at planning things. or she has a very strict moral code.

Haha I remember that. Good for her that she decided not to tank. Speaks high volumes about her character

scarlet

Watching the final last year in Singapore, I was surprised with the result. Halep looks really good in training. Too bad not gonna watch the final this year.

Anyway, Serena spotted making out with Drake. Where's Patrick?

Niraj

Nick Kyrgios was suspended for 28 days from any ATP-sanctioned event and fined an additional $25,000 on Monday for his comments this month about Stan Wawrinka at the Rogers Cup in Montreal.

The penalties, however, are withheld provided he meets certain conditions over the next six months, ending Feb. 24, 2016. Kyrgios remains eligible for the U.S. Open, which starts next week and is not an ATP tournament.

The suspension and fine will be dropped provided Kyrgios does not draw any fines for verbal or physical abuse at any ATP tournament, and does not accumulate fines totaling more than $5,000 for any other offenses at ATP sanctioned tournaments.

From here

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Watch him tell Wawrinka that he banged his mum at Paris.

MIMIC

Banned
Late congrats to Federer
that 34-year-old motherfucker
Novak's miserable form was no match for him. Dunno why Djokovic always picks this tournament to play his worst tennis. Hasn't even won a set in a final yet. Even Nadal has a Cincy title xD

But the bounce is pretty low in Cincy, so that's probably why Novak hasn't won there yet. He struggles mightily with low bouncing courts.

Meh. Whatever. On to the Open.

Also, I played tennis today and my doubles partner was the guy who I beat 6-0 last week. He's pretty bad. So I tried something new today: I played the net.....100% of the time. Even when I was serving, I was net rushing. I kinda surprised myself and made some pretty sick volleys. I missed a couple of overheads because I'm not used to taking the ball out of the air like that, but I made more than I missed. I didn't just reset the point; I ended them. Like a boss =p

We won 6-2 @_@ It's almost guaranteed that any team that he is on will lose BADLY. Last time we played together, we lost 6-1. I figured that in order to win, I would have to shorten 90% of the points. And my strategy worked.

Also, I like being at the net. I LIKE attacking my opponent. It gives your opponent more to think about and makes them miss more often (and go for harder shots). I usually shy away from the net because my primary racket doesn't allow me to be as sharp at the net; I'll miss 80% of putaways. But I was using my newer racket and my net play is SUBSTANTIALLY more successful. I think I'm gonna stick with the new one.

Dispatch

Late congrats to Federer
that 34-year-old motherfucker
Novak's miserable form was no match for him. Dunno why Djokovic always picks this tournament to play his worst tennis. Hasn't even won a set in a final yet. Even Nadal has a Cincy title xD

But the bounce is pretty low in Cincy, so that's probably why Novak hasn't won there yet. He struggles mightily with low bouncing courts.

Meh. Whatever. On to the Open.

Also, I played tennis today and my doubles partner was the guy who I beat 6-0 last week. He's pretty bad. So I tried something new today: I played the net.....100% of the time. Even when I was serving, I was net rushing. I kinda surprised myself and made some pretty sick volleys. I missed a couple of overheads because I'm not used to taking the ball out of the air like that, but I made more than I missed. I didn't just reset the point; I ended them. Like a boss =p

We won 6-2 @_@ It's almost guaranteed that any team that he is on will lose BADLY. Last time we played together, we lost 6-1. I figured that in order to win, I would have to shorten 90% of the points. And my strategy worked.

Also, I like being at the net. I LIKE attacking my opponent. It gives your opponent more to think about and makes them miss more often (and go for harder shots). I usually shy away from the net because my primary racket doesn't allow me to be as sharp at the net; I'll miss 80% of putaways. But I was using my newer racket and my net play is SUBSTANTIALLY more successful. I think I'm gonna stick with the new one.

Ya, I love when I can control the net, too.

I just wish I could improve my touch around the net. All the other guys I play with have much better touch, and I can see people start to back up when I'm at the net. Now, I think too much and open my racket face way too far, nor not far enough.

Sigh...

Top Bottom