• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

these djokovic draws are getting ridiculous.
They really are.

Hey Rafa=fedkilla how long has Ajla Tomljanovic played for Australia? I could have sworn she was playing for another country
I thought she switched last year, you'll have to ask Peru for sure though. I thought she would've advanced further by now. I love how she slaps that ball.

CiCi and Nishioka pushed through! Hopefully they win their final rounds!!!

They really are.

I thought she switched last year, you'll have to ask Peru for sure though. I thought she would've advanced further by now. I love how she slaps that ball.

CiCi and Nishioka pushed through! Hopefully they win their final rounds!!!

CiCi and Claire Liu are all I care about. I hope they win tomorrow. Too bad cancer survivor Duval lost in 3 sets. USTA should have given her a direct acceptance into the Open

MIMIC

Banned
It was unexpected to read that and I laughed, no need to be upset. How could I think that you're anything but good? We've been reading tales of your conquests for years. I don't really play tennis, so I doubt I could beat that wall as comprehensively as you did.

I'm not surprised.

I'm not surprised.

131012032251589227.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm not surprised.

I'm impressed it only took you two days to come up with that. Good job.

I hope that has gotten it out of your system. I won't laugh at your superior tennis skills ever again, and I hope you weren't angry enough to dwell on it for two days.

My iPhone's memory is full otherwise I would video myself playing tennis again. Hopefully I'll get an iPhone 6 this year so I can take videos again. On Wednesday I played a 2.5 hour match that ended in a tie (7-5, 5-7) Neither of us have overwhelming power so our points were long and grueling. We weren't pushing though, as I would step around my backhand to crack forehands quite often, but my opponent could track them down and neutralize the point by hitting back a deep shot. It was fun and exhaustive.

MIMIC

Banned
Played a bunch of doubles yesterday and didn't win a single set :( Again I was pretty good at the net but I missed a lot of point-ending shots for some reason. Like, there would be a rally where I'm chasing balls and defending from every corner of the court, and as soon as I get an easy shot, I would net it, lol It was hilarious....and sad.

Also, my partner was extra frustrated with himself. He threw his racquet 3 times in one game lol (mostly when he missed returns)

And I had to brag about a shot I hit at the net. You know how some people will go DIRECTLY AT YOU when you're at the net? Well, I had to block my face....and my blocked shot was a winner ^_^ It was hilarious.

Playing the net is fun

MIMIC

Banned
Rose from the ashes in my singles match yesterday, lol. After my doubles losses, I am always itching to play some singles.

I went down 0-2, saved a break point to go down 0-3 and held 1-2. Then we played an absolutely EPIC rally on his breakpoint. It was maybe round 15 or 20 HARD baseline ground stokes....and it ended on my CC backhand winner ^_^.

So after tying it 2-2, I won the next 3 games to go up 5-2. I didn't exactly TANK this game, but I didn't go all out (because this was a pretty exhausting match). He aced me and I was just like, "Whatever." lol He won the game and I served it out 6-3. We only played 1 set because it was gonna rain soon.

Also, I noticed that my BH DTL really opens up the court and I can hit it really well. Unless you have an absolutely amazing FH, you are gonna be in deep shit. Because after you get the FH (if you get it), you're trying to recover to the middle of the court. So then I have the option to go back behind you (cross court), or hit the FH up the line. Either way, the opponent is going to be on the defensive.

And I've said this before: most amateur players don't have great BHs. I used to be like that; I would always slice. But I've worked on that since then (like in the GIF I posted). Anyway, when I was serving for the match at match point, my opponent BLASTED my 2nd serve. So I got to MP again, I missed the 1st serve. So, while my 2nd serve isn't great (it's another thing I'm working on), I can still control it. I served it right to his BH (it hit the line). And he was shocked as shit. Completely miss hit it. After the match, I told him that I wasn't gonna give him another FH to blast, lol

Diamond

And I've said this before: most amateur players don't have great BHs. I used to be like that; I would always slice. But I've worked on that since then (like in the GIF I posted).

That's the basic strategy, especially when you're a lefty like me : aim for the backhand side and wait for errors/short balls. The problem I have, and the match I played yesterday illustrates that quite well (lost 6-0 7-5 in my club's tournament), is that I'm waaay more comfortable on my backhand. For some reason my forehand is incredibly unsure, I have a lot more power but zero consistency and that's a problem I've been having for quite some time now. Sometimes I'm spraying errors (like in the first set), sometimes it goes in and it's better (second set, up a break at 5-4, then I started making too much faults again) but I'm never sure what it's gonna be and I can't apply even basic tactics for a decent amount of time because I'm just trying to keep the ball in play.
I decided to follow lessons this year to work on that because I have a hard time coming up with answers alone, and being so unsure on a shot that is so important in tennis prevents me from having a chance in quite a lot of matches.

I'm gonna try to post videos too, just need to think about bringing the right equipment with me when I play.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Tennis GAF, looking for a good newbie tennis racquet recommendation, or just some tips while shopping for one. There are so many out there, and I'm getting confused. Thanks!

MIMIC

Banned
So what do you do when you're playing someone who is TERRIBAD, but they are all of a sudden playing the match of their lives?

I'm talking about the guy who brings EVERYONE'S team down (doubles) who I last beat 6-0.

We beat them 6-2 today (should have been a bagel, but whatever). We play again and suddenly, he can't fucking miss. Typically, he will fuck up a return 90% of the time, but now he's getting them all in. He's hitting 2nd serve aces (not on me, of course, lol) and making all kinds of outrageous volleys.

They get us to a tiebreak @_@

We get down early but manage to bring it back.

It's 5-5. My final serve. Whoever wins this point will get a set point. I'm serving to Mr. Suddenly Can't Miss....and in my mind, I'm trying to come up with a strategy. He is standing WAY back (because I have a big 1st serve) and has been returning my serves very well....something he never does. So, I'm thinking....if he's gonna stand that far back, I'm gonna give him a no-pace serve.

It worked, lol (more people should try that on Nadal). We win the breaker 7-5 later.

*phew*

Also, I tried to do Federer's super early return. It was the first time I had ever attempted it....and I completely missed the ball on the first attempt. lol. I tried it again and I made it....but lost the point. It really isn't as effective in doubles. I'll try it again in a singles match.

That's the basic strategy, especially when you're a lefty like me : aim for the backhand side and wait for errors/short balls. The problem I have, and the match I played yesterday illustrates that quite well (lost 6-0 7-5 in my club's tournament), is that I'm waaay more comfortable on my backhand. For some reason my forehand is incredibly unsure, I have a lot more power but zero consistency and that's a problem I've been having for quite some time now. Sometimes I'm spraying errors (like in the first set), sometimes it goes in and it's better (second set, up a break at 5-4, then I started making too much faults again) but I'm never sure what it's gonna be and I can't apply even basic tactics for a decent amount of time because I'm just trying to keep the ball in play.
I decided to follow lessons this year to work on that because I have a hard time coming up with answers alone, and being so unsure on a shot that is so important in tennis prevents me from having a chance in quite a lot of matches.

I'm gonna try to post videos too, just need to think about bringing the right equipment with me when I play.

Yeah, post some videos. But I think everyone for the most part has a favorite wing. As long as you're solid on one side, you shouldn't fret too much.

Tennis GAF, looking for a good newbie tennis racquet recommendation, or just some tips while shopping for one. There are so many out there, and I'm getting confused. Thanks!

Meh, I've had the same racquet for almost 8 years now. It was the first one I had ever bought (either from Dick's or Finish Line) and it's fortunately been pretty reliable. I knew nothing about tennis at the time so I was lucky to get a racquet that clicked with me.

If you don't want to go in blind like I did, I'd suggest you find a place that lets you demo tennis racquets. And if that isn't possible, I'd suggest you just get a standard one (like the ones they have on display). I wouldn't start tinkering with specifics until you've got some experience with one. And since you're new, I'd suggest you get one with a head size that isn't any smaller than 100 square inches. My racquet (the first one I bought) is 102.

What a great match. I'm biased and all, but the standard of tennis played throughout the last half was phenomenal given the tension. Massive respect for all four players.

Apparently Belgium want to hold the final on a clay court to neutralise Murray. Aren't they aware of clay ray? He's said he'll skip the tour finals if it's clay to prepare.

MIMIC

Banned
Played doubles with a guy who double faults like it's his job. DF'd on BP...twice. And one of them was on set point, lol. We lost 6-1.

Then I played AGAINST him....with some other guy who managed to DF on BP >_< lol. But he was slightly better (and by slightly, I mean fuckin SLIGHTLY, lol). Me and my new partner won 6-4. Thank God I was serving at 5*-4.

It sucked even more because we were playing in the blazing hot sun and. If they broke back to make it 5-5, I was gonna quit (I had already played 5 sets prior to that...it was stupid of me to even play an additional set). After we won, I literally fell to the court on my back and laid there for about a minute, lol

I noticed that loopy, no pace slice shots are a lot harder to deal with than pace. So I sliced and diced the shit out of every single ball and they made all kinds of errors in that final game.

As much as I want my country to win this final, knowing what teams we had to go through, might as well gift this to GB. What an absolute joke of a draw we've had.

Diamond

Yannick Noah has been appointed the new Davis Cup captain for France.

Yeah, it's kind of a big deal here in France. First because the french federation put an end to Arnaud Clement's contract rather abruptly. Second because Noah was captain two times, and each time he managed to win the cup. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Played doubles with a guy who double faults like it's his job. DF'd on BP...twice. And one of them was on set point, lol. We lost 6-1.

Then I played AGAINST him....with some other guy who managed to DF on BP >_< lol. But he was slightly better (and by slightly, I mean fuckin SLIGHTLY, lol). Me and my new partner won 6-4. Thank God I was serving at 5*-4.

It sucked even more because we were playing in the blazing hot sun and. If they broke back to make it 5-5, I was gonna quit (I had already played 5 sets prior to that...it was stupid of me to even play an additional set). After we won, I literally fell to the court on my back and laid there for about a minute, lol

I noticed that loopy, no pace slice shots are a lot harder to deal with than pace. So I sliced and diced the shit out of every single ball and they made all kinds of errors in that final game.

Haha, yeah, until a certain level of play, playing a no pace shot can absolutely kill the other player rythm. I'm more often victim of this than beneficiary...
Had my first lesson tonight, hope it can unlock some things in my game.

As much as I want my country to win this final, knowing what teams we had to go through, might as well gift this to GB. What an absolute joke of a draw we've had.

I think the doubles will be essential. Belgium has what it takes to beat every player in GB team outside of Murray. Darcis-Ward could be challenging but I expect Darcis to win. If Murray is in form, the doubles will decide the fate of the match, and yeah, GB proved they have very good pairs, but doubles can always be surprising. I'd say it's 60-40 for GB at this point. It's worth remembering that both teams can hardly lose their leaders because they don't have any top player to replace Goffin or Murray. It's the end of the season, injuries and fatigue happen.

Also, I just read that Davis Cup will adopt the fifth set tie-break rule (like the US Open) next year. It's a tiny change but a step back, to me. Crazy matches like this one won't happen anymore.

Top Bottom