• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Bencic's level in this tournament has been scarily good. I think her demolition of Wozniacki today (her third victory over her this year) was arguably the best performance I've seen from her. Not many players can simply push Wozniacki off the court from the baseline. She was hitting every groundstroke hard and with depth and had Woz looking forlorn 15 minutes in.

So happy to see Radwanska put together a run of wins for the first time in 2015 on a surface other than grass. She's had very close first sets against Svitolina, Pliskova and Cibulkova and won them all by toughening up at the end. Her match against Svitolina was probably the best - Pliskova kept losing focus and Cibulkova, after running off 4 games in a row to lead 4-2 in the first set, got baited in to going for too much and trying to rush the net (or drop shotting), which isn't her game. She described playing against Svitolina as being like playing herself (interviewer didn't ask her to elaborate). But as good as her level has been this week, and as good as it is to see her actually enjoying matches and wins, I can't see her beating Bencic if she plays as well as she has been doing.

Apparently the Ariake Coliseum is one of the fastest courts around, and essentially a relic from the 90s. The quality of tennis in this tournament really makes me wish there were more courts like it on the tour. Muguruza/Bencic probably had the best individual set so far, even if Kerber/Wozniacki was the best match.

The point at 4-4, 40-30 in the first set of Cibulkova/Radwanska deserves an honouable mention in any "point of the year" summary.

What a great match from Radwanska! I didn't think she'd be able to do it, but she came with a game plan, played at a very high level, and won fairly easily (though not as easy as 6-2, 6-2 suggests). Some thoughts on the match and tournament:

- The Japanese don't skimp on ceremony. The winners' interview lasted at least 10 minutes, Bencic also had a fairly lengthy interview, and a lot of people stayed for the trophy ceremony. Lovely trophy too.
- Radwanska played with more aggression than usual all week, but today she tacked back a bit. She gave Bencic little pace, and shortish balls on her forehand, forcing her to attack while she waited a bit behind the baseline to counter.
- Her first serve was accurate and effective all match, especially when targeted at Bencic's forehand on the Ad court. Bencic doesn't deal to well with having to defend her forehand or having to step in and generate pace from that side.
- In a physical match in exceptionally humid conditions, Bencic was struggling hard after long rallies only one hour in. That will change in time I'm sure.
- Tears from both players, Bencic's when she was down 0-3 in the second and her dad came on court. She raised her game afterward and forced Radwanska to defend hard at 2-4. Radwanska looked like she was holding back a lot of emotion throughout the (long) winners' interview. Getting her first win of 2015, first for 18 months, and back into the top 10 obviously means a lot. Bencic was the player who said that her performance this week proved she belonged at the top, but it rang truer for her opponent.
- Radwanska said yesterday she wanted to "do revenge" for Eastbourne. She certainly did.

And now to Wuhan, where play has already started. The road to Singapore is tough. Both of these players could well still make it if they do well there.

szaromir

Banned
And now to Wuhan, where play has already started. The road to Singapore is tough. Both of these players could well still make it if they do well there.
Thanks for your reports. I took a glance at the rankings. Pretty crazy that as poor as Radwanska has been this year, she's still only 500 points behind the #4 player in the race. Poor year for WTA all around with most players only playing well in short patches.

Yep, this has been a very inconsistent year on the WTA. Even Halep, the #2, had awful showings at both the French and Wimbledon. None of the Slam finalists have really been able to channel any momentum from those runs. Sharapova's been out half the year, Safarova's been laid low with injuries and Muguruza has done a lot of losing since Wimbledon (though playing increasingly better as she does so). Suarez Navarro hasn't played like top 10 caliber for quite a while, and it's arguable if Pliskova ever really has. Serena's vacuumed up most of the points. Worth pointing out that neither Bencic or Radwanska did a whole lot this year before the grass court season.

Kerber's results at the 2015 Slams are 1R, 3R, 3R, 3R, and she's likely going to finish top 5. That tells you something.

Ricker

C'mon Raonic,dont fall apart after winning the first set...

And it looks like Bouchard is back from her concussion,playing in Wuhan,where she reached the final last year,only to get clobbered by Kvitova again...she is facing Bencic though in R1,good way to find out if you are back in form I guess lol...

Ricker

So Bouchard said she had some headaches during her practice on Saturday so she bailed out of Wuhan just a few hours before her scheduled match against Bencic.

And Sharapova retired in the third set of her R1 match as well...

Obviously the match is going on, but she visibly tightened up when serving for it, you can rarely see it to this extent.

and Venus took the tiebreak

I wasn't trying to be snarky. I saw on ESPN's ap that the score was 6-1, 5-5. But sometimes their scores are up to an hour behind. I didn't know if they had finished or not

Venus played a superb first set, hitting with consistency and depth right from the start, and defending her backhand wing as well as I've seen her do. At one point the backhand winners stat line read 12-0 in her favour, many from behind the baseline. Radwanska tried to attack the net but got picked off easily, and seemed to lose all balance on her backhand throughout the first set (she complained of sharp pain in her left hip to the trainer before the injury time out). My recording cut out after the score went 3-2, so I don't know what happened afterward (or even why my recording ended).

Sharapova played fairly well before retiring to Strycova while leading 2-1 in the third set due to a shoulder injury, though her decision making had the mark of a player without a match in 3 months, as she often went for way too much. Strycova scrambled as much back as she could and evidence ground her way to a second set tie break, where Sharapova dropped her level.

Hopefully both Sharapova and Radwanska are in good shape for Beijing next week. With Pliskova coming through in a very close match against Lucic-Baroni, Radwanska will need to do well there to make Singapore. Venus should have little difficulty with Goerges tomorrow if she starts like she did today.

I'm watching this Chardy-Becker match and I've never in my life seen someone give less a fuck than Chardy. He's literally hitting balls the same way an old man bends over to grab the paper, just all back. He's not chasing any balls and returns while standing straight up. Someone he's managed to make it to the 3rd set without seemingly trying in any way, which is a testament to how not great Becker is. Like, he's literally hitting the ball with one hand from his hip and picking up his shirt to wipe away his sweat with his back to the court immediately. Every return is 5-6 ft out. It's a clinic on how to efficiently not look like you care.

What a piece of shit.

Venus is absolutely on fire at this tournament. Playing like it's 2002. Suarez Navarro had no chance.

Ivanovic played a strong first set against Muguruza, but she completely imploded after losing her serve cheaply at the start of the second set and lost 4-6 6-1 6-0. Muguruza just stayed calm and found her game when Ivanovic lost hers.

Kvitova was up 4-0 and had points for 5-1, but is now down a set and a break to Vinci. Standard Petra. Edit: and out. The UEs just wouldn't stop coming when they started, and Vinci sensed the opportunity to pick her apart with the backhand slice.

Johanna Konta has just become (apparently) the third British female tennis player, after Sue Barker and Virginia Wade, to beat a top three ranked opponent by defeating Simona Halep 6-3, 3-6, 7-5. Coming from 1-5 down in the final set and rallying evenly with one of the most consistent baseliners in the world, matching her angles and depth for two hours must make this this best win of her career, both for her mental strength to hang tough and the quality of her play. For years the British sporting press have debated whether it would be Robson or Watson (or both, or none) who would break through to the top of the women's game, but now it looks like it might end up being Konta. She served 72% first serves and was doing a ton of damage with it against Halep's return. Great win.

Next up for her is Venus.

szaromir

Banned
Serena has withdrawn from Beijing and the year end championships. With the possible withdrawal of Sharapova, this year's YEC will be full of random players, even Vinci can now qualify.

So much shade you can put out the sun compilation
Just watched this, definitely missed some classics like "is her last name Jankovic?". Not enough Martina Hingis either, but I guess there's not much video footage from that era.

Dispatch

So, I got a chance to play some doubles again, and my serve was way off. I got broken my first two service games. In the third game, I got down 0-40, and, in desperation, changed my grip to a bit more of a western grip, and took off some velocity. I was never in serious danger the rest of the evening.

I think I found my new serve.

Unfortunately, my back problems are seriously limiting my mobility. I had an MRI done over the summer and I now have three bulging disks in my lower back. :(

So Venus beat Vinci in the semi finals today. Something that her younger sister failed to do at the US Open.

Venus has been playing great tennis. If she didn't tank that match against Venus at the US-Open she could have won the title imo

ghstwrld

nawt serena v shino
laugh.gif

lol

I can't imagine what the tour will be like when Serena and Maria retire. It will be so boring.

i'd take boring over these two tbh.

::

17. Martina Hingis ($1,269,631) Doubles Ranked #2
19. Venus Williams ($1,207,316) Singles Ranked #24
21. Ana Ivanovic ($1,109,577) Singles Ranked #12
23. Angelique Kerber ($1,097,459) Singles Ranked #9
29. Caroline Wozniacki ($976,942) Singles Ranked #6

saw this on tf, Hingis is out earning players in their prime age while playing doubles. that's crazy.

Kvitova is one of the most frustrating women's players to watch. She alternates between great and absolute garbage every game. She has no excuse for being broke 3 times, losing service on double faults, and losing 7 out of 9 break points with way more unforced errors than winners (like 30+ to 20). Especially against a pusher like Errani. She's better than that.

Every break point she murders the ball easily out. Just some mental midget stuff. When she plays smarter she makes it look so easy. Now broke 4 straight service games. Jesus.

Have to give Errani credit, she gets to every ball and just puts them in play no matter how.

Kvitova just hit a shot so good the announcer yelled "MAMA MIA!". I don't know why I'm doing a running diary of this.

Errani's continued strategy of putting tennis balls on tennis courts is working absurdly well. Kvitova hasn't been able to consistently crack that fool-proof plan.

No idea why players like Kvitova can't develop a B-game to take care of the likes of Errani. Camila Giorgi is another one with the same problem. Immense power, but hits 40+ UEs in a two set match regularly.

Venus against Vinci was a great match that was effectively the tournament final with Muguruza injured at the end of her match against Kerber. Vinci fought hard to come back after being blasted off the court in the first set, and Venus got very tight on her serve. There was a horrible line call against Venus towards the end of the third set (gave Vinci 0-15), but she held her nerve and dug out the win.

Kerber/Muguruza was a high level match but honestly quite boring until the end of the second set, since their games are very similar. Muguruza showed intelligence not to let Kerber tempt her into going too much though. Good sign for her.

Nishioka can't go quietly into the night when opportunities present themselves like that. Brah didn't use any of his court craft or guile against his senpai. Guess il stay up for Borna vs. Kei.

Borna is out to devour souls tonight.

Bencic had a lot of difficulty finding her game against Madison Brengle, who was tenacious and got as much back as she could, taking the first set and going a break up in the second. Unfortunately she consistently threw in double faults whenever she broke Bencic's serve and let her back in. Bencic was struggling both physically and for her game, but came through. If she's to make Singapore, she'll need to raise her game against (probably) Muguruza in the third round.

I don't think I've ever seen Radwanska so mad at herself as she was today against Mona Barthel. All match she was scowling and frowning, even after winning excellent points. When Barthel took an injury time out in the third set, she went all Andy Murray and loudly berated herself to "Attack!" She came out and hit the ball at least 15mph harder than before, won 7 points in a row to hold and almost break, then lost her rhythm and let Barthel hold. David Mercer, one of my favourite British tennis commentators, suggested she needed a psychologist on court, only half-joking. Barthel, for her part, put up an extremely good fight, attacking the net with a lot of success, but had issues with double faulting at important times during the third set, and suffered a wrist injury which weakened her forehand. It was a fun match to watch with a lot of net play, drop shots and passing shots, with Radwanska finding a patch of superb form in the second set to take it 6-1, but she'll need much more consistency against Madison Keys tomorrow. The race for Singapore is so open that Keys herself has a chance of making it, but she'd need to win the whole tournament.

LuuKyK

Poor Genie was forced to retire from her match against Petkovic due to dizziness.

Apparently the lingering effects of the concussion she suffered during the US Open are going to last a while longer. Really a shame, but she should take the rest of the year off and comeback fully healed next year.

Better not risk making it worse, and traveling all across the globe and putting herself in stressful situations certainly isn't going to help much.

Ricker

Poor Genie was forced to retire from her match against Petkovic due to dizziness.

Apparently the lingering effects of the concussion she suffered during the US Open are going to last a while longer. Really a shame, but she should take the rest of the year off and comeback fully healed next year.

Better not risk making it worse, and traveling all across the globe and putting herself in stressful situations certainly isn't going to help much.

I agree...she was on the way back,she played great at the USO,her match against Cibulkova was pretty good,her mixed double with Kyrgios was hilarious,and they won,and she was winning in regular doubles as well...she should rest till the Australian Open or the one just before that I forget the name now...

Bencic withdrew today in Beijing and Keys retired after the first set...a lot of the girls seem to have a hard time finishing the year ;)

LuuKyK

I agree...she was on the way back,she played great at the USO,her match against Cibulkova was pretty good,her mixed double with Kyrgios was hilarious,and they won,and she was winning in regular doubles as well...she should rest till the Australian Open or the one just before that I forget the name now...

Bencic withdrew today in Beijing and Keys retired after the first set...a lot of the girls seem to have a hard time finishing the year ;)

Brisbane.

Muguruza/Radwanska tomorrow should be good, a rematch of their Wimbledon SF. Muguruza has been playing smarter and more consistent tennis as she's gone through the Asian swing. Angelique Kerber played her worst match for months against Aga today. No idea why she decided to chase clean winners when she'd played such a careful, classy match against the same opponent in Stanford, but it didn't work. Her forehand broke down completely and coughed up a ton of errors.

Timea Bacsinszky looks to have got her game back - after superb runs at RG and Wimbledon, she'd done nothing much but lose until this tournament, but now she faces Ivanovic in the other SF. Whoever wins will have the opportunity to put themselves very close to the Tour Finals in Singapore.

On the men's tour, Djokovic is breaking more records in Beijing, taking his all-time record there to 27-0. It'll be 28-0 after tomorrow when he's through with Ferrer. Nadal's been winning without impressing, dropping a set to Jack Sock. Looking forward to his 5th encounter with Fognini this year tomorrow.

did Fognini complain again about Uncle Toni being "too loud" or something?
Yeah Uncle Toni wouldn't shut the fuck up. You could tell he was scared since he was wrapped up in a blanket like a child. He was yelling at the umpire when Fognini threw his racquet and nearly hit someone.

Haha, Anne Keothavong, commenatating on the Ivanovic v Bacsinszky match, essentially called bullshit on Ivanovic's injury time out when she continued to power down her serve (she claimed a problem in her upper left leg and walked off mid-game while Bacsinszky was serving at 40-30). Bacsinszky went on to win, making her first ever Premier Mandatory final and reaching the top 10 for the first time in her career. If she wins the final, she may well make Singapore.

Edit: Fognini made too many errors on crucial points today. Generally a high level match, though Nadal needs to go up at least one more level to have any chance against Djokovic.

Top Bottom