• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Great match between Muguruza and Radwanska. Radwanska was on fire at the start, then Muguruza took control and won 4 games in a row, before Aga came back and took the first set. From them on Muguruza pinned her opponent behind the baseline in the heavy conditions and won 11 of the next 15 games, before Aga staged a fightback from 1-5 to 4-5, saving two match points and holding a point to level the match at 5-5 in the third. She seemed to tense up during the last game, hitting three forehand UEs and letting Muguruza cross the winning line. Very impressive match from the Spaniard, reading the wind and controlling her shots, give or take her (outwardly concealed) nerves in closing out.

She has an excellent opportunity to win her first big tournament tomorrow, which would put her above Sharapova and into 3rd in the rankings.

MIMIC

Banned
My doubles partner right now is about to make me scream :mad: The only reason we won a set at all was because I played more aggressive than I usually do..... in order to make any shot coming to him easy or to just keep him away from the ball. He even missed easy shots. And he doesn't *just* miss. Oh no. He hits them well long.

He held serve ONCE....and obviously double faulted on every breakpoint xD

EDIT: and he's telling me strategies like we're the Bryan brothers or something, lol. He's a strategy: hit the ball in such a way where it lands on the other side of the court.

MIMIC

Banned
Would you say he's your... opponent?

Might as well be =p I played against him a few weeks ago with a different partner and we beat them 6-0. You have to work your ass off to even win games with him. I had to sneak over and steal a lot of balls from him today.....and I hate doing that. My goal was to win at least ONE set, and we did.

Anyway, Novak and Rafa....meeting No. 45 @_@

Pretty easy win for WaWa. Paire double faulted on match point.

Man sometimes Nishioka just completely shits the bed. Lost 6-1 6-0 to Lu in Shangahi qualifying final round.
Chung too. Was up 5-2 in the second set to Go Soeda and lost in there.....

Poor performance by her standards to be honest, but Bacsinszky heavily tightened up when serving for the first set at 5-3 and when serving at 4-4 in the second. Muguruza was ruthless in punishing her errors and never truly threatened by anything other than her own mistakes. Biggest win of her career, and she has as good a chance as anyone at the Tour Finals in Singapore.

Ricker

Poor performance by her standards to be honest, but Bacsinszky heavily tightened up when serving for the first set at 5-3 and when serving at 4-4 in the second. Muguruza was ruthless in punishing her errors and never truly threatened by anything other than her own mistakes. Biggest win of her career, and she has as good a chance as anyone at the Tour Finals in Singapore.

Yep...I like her a lot,glad for her.

Nadal is sporting a pretty nice matching Nike outfit today,right down to the soxs...not sure it will help him against Djokovic though lol ;),although the first set is close for now.

MIMIC

Banned
Novak ^_^

Surely this win helped him reach/extend some more records (like most consecutive finals reached). I'll look it up later

EDIT: As far as consecutive finals go, I don't know who has the record, but I started with Federer. His streak is 16, starting from Halle 2005 and ending at Canada 2006. For a calendar year, it's 11 (Doha 2006 - Canada 2006).

Djokovic extends his streak to 12 (this year's Australian Open through Beijing).

He also improves to 23-4 vs. top 10 opponents this year.

Faith

231321zujtl.png

Great matchups!

He lost to Ramos-Vinolas? What the hell. He'll have a hard job getting ahead of Murray in the rankings before the AO draw if Murray goes deep here, since Federer was defending the title.

sam777

Nadal vs Wawrinka tomorrow will be interesting, since Nadal is playing better than he has all year, so if he wins it will further underline that.

miserable

Damn, Nadal just destroyed Wawrinka (6-2,6-1). Partying like it's 2008.

He's back, bitches.

actually, Stan just kinda gave up on the match after being broken in the first set, spraying UE's left and right and looking like he wanted to gtfo as soon as possible
yes Rafa has been playing better but let's not get ahead of ourselves

sam777

Good match, Tsonga served incredibly well in the first and third set if he can reproduce that serving in the final he will be a tough game for anybody.

szaromir

Banned
Tsonga ate a bagel in the second set but in the end came through. At 4-all 15-30 Nadal double faulted but the ball was called in by the line judges and Tsonga played. He got robbed of two break point opportunities but got to a break point in his next return game. They played an astonishing point to set up the match point, Tsonga made a great lunge for the ball.

MIMIC

Banned
The guy I was complaining about....I was fortunate enough to not play with him today. In fact I played with a guy who I NEVER get to play with. We won 17 games in a row, lol.

Playing with that guy is impossible. Made me wanna quit tennis (not really but you know).

MIMIC

Banned
The final was NID.

Anyway, winning Shanghai makes this Novak's 5th Masters title for the year and he extends his current winning streak to 17. In terms of total achievements, he's already eclipsed 2011. And that would probably make this the best season ever.

Djokovic has been unreal this year. The gap between him and #2 is about the same as Serena and #2 on the womens side

edit: And 17 y/o Taylor Fritz won his 2nd straight challenger today by defeating Dustin Brown in the finals. Fritz is having a run very similar to Borna Coric when he broke out. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the main draw in Melbourne a few months from now.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
For the WTA Finals:

Red group:
Halep
Sharapova
Radwanska
Pennetta

White group:
Muguruza
Kvitova
Kerber
Safarova

szaromir

Banned
Just realized Radwanska, Sharapova and Kvitova have qualified 5 years in a row. (Sharapova also qualified 4 times in a row in 2004-2007.) That's some consistency between the three of them. It's nothing amazing compared to the top guys on the ATP tour, but considering how in WTA things appear to be in perpetual flux it's pretty remarkable to see the same few players always make it to the top at the end of the season.

Peru

Really anyone's guess how ready Sharapova is for tennis right now, but kudos for trying. Some other WTA players I'd like to see in the finals but this should be pretty good.

LuuKyK

Just realized Radwanska, Sharapova and Kvitova have qualified 5 years in a row. (Sharapova also qualified 4 times in a row in 2004-2007.) That's some consistency between the three of them. It's nothing amazing compared to the top guys on the ATP tour, but considering how in WTA things appear to be in perpetual flux it's pretty remarkable to see the same few players always make it to the top at the end of the season.

It is pretty amazing indeed, especially Maria this year considering she barely played since July/August.

Really anyone's guess how ready Sharapova is for tennis right now, but kudos for trying. Some other WTA players I'd like to see in the finals but this should be pretty good.

I don't think she is getting past the RR groups thing. She has been injured for quite a long time and has no match practice coming into this. Facing Halep and Radwanska who push everything back and make her run like crazy + Pennetta who is a terrible match-up is also not very good. lol We will see though, good on her for at least trying.

I will be rooting for Kerber and Muguruza in case Maria does flop early.

Top Bottom