• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

ghstwrld

tumblr_nwsn5zCjQY1qkomroo1_500.jpg

she is going to destroy 2016

l3hwMJ6.gif

Milchmann

The court in Singapore is horrible. I understand slower courts at ATP and joint events, but there is no reason to have an super slow surface at the WTA finals. Turns matches into boring grind fests.

Especially when the players may have to play 5 matches in 6 days, and since the tournament is limited to the top 8 ranked players the matches will be more competitive than average. You don't really want to ask players to play several three set baseline slug-a-thons in the last tournament of the year, where many of them will be fatigued or carrying injuries. But hey, that's WTA for ya.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Damn, Nadal is getting Rosol'd again (so far at least). Rosol won 100% of his first serve points in the first set, though the 6-1 first set was also aided by Nadal serving like shit

edit: yeah that was bound to happen. Blew it when serving for the match

Niraj

Surprised it got to a tiebreak. Rosol is up a minibreak, 3-0

Nadal got it back, it's 4-3 Rosol now

edit: Man that got ugly. Nadal took it 7-4

Niraj

Those Dimitrov-Nadal matches used to be a lot better than this...

Dimitrov started off pretty hot but then his serve went to shit. Nadal was punishing him with some of those second serve returns. Haven't seen any of the second set though.

Dimitrov's fighting spirit is pathetic. He's like the lead character of a romance novel, he puts up little resistance before succumbing to one's sexual desires.

d+pad

Sent Flavia into retirement with a breadstick.

I think maybe Maria should take a few months off of each season from here on out if this tournament is any indication. I mean, beating both Halep and Pennetta in straight sets given her last few matches against both women is seriously impressive.

It'll be interesting to see how things go for her from here. I guess a lot depends on her opponent in the semis. I'm guessing it'll either be Kvitova or Kerber. I feel like Kvitova's the more vulnerable of the two, but that doesn't mean much as everyone knows that if Kvitova has a good day she can blow anyone off the court.

Regardless of who it is, I hope she gets through it and that Muguruza is the other finalist. What a great year-ending match that would be, no matter who won it.

Other than that, it was such a nice surprise to see Aggie beat Halep and make it to the semis, too. It was so weird seeing her drop in the rankings and lose a bunch of matches earlier in the year, so it's great that she's seemingly righted the ship in many ways. Now to see if she can finally take things to the next level.

Finally, all the best to Flavia. She used to bore me, but after seeing her live a couple of years ago I really gained an appreciation for her. Plus, seeing her drive people like Maria nuts is impressive. It takes a certain kind of player to do that, and she deserves applause for it.

I do wish she'd been able to do the same against Serena at some point, but that's how it goes in this game, right? It's kind of like how Halep has success (some) against Serena but is a bit overwhelmed by Sharapova--at the moment.

Peru

Yeah it's certainly telling how sharp Maria's been here. And how she launched into a great Aussie early this season and then stumbled.

Halep seemps limp in important matches, although she admitted she was mentally done with the season after her first loss here. I hope she can regain that confident look. Needs to if she wants slams.

d+pad

That’s how Maria tends to be, though, don’t you think? She’s an amazing tennis player in many ways, but she has her off days, and she’s also susceptible to certain types of players—both of which can add up to some “bad” results if she isn’t especially sharp.

So, for me, dips like we saw earlier this year—in Indian Wells and Miami, for instance—are almost inevitable. If she can catch fire and be sharp for one or two GS “seasons” per year, though (like she was during her run to the French a couple of years ago), she should be able to grab a few more GS titles before she calls it a day like Pennetta.

As for Halep, I still like her and I still think she’s going to win a few (at least) GS titles in her career, but she’s going to need to work on the mental side of her game—and quick—if that’s going to happen anytime soon. At the moment, though, she pretty much always falters when confronted with a “big moment,” which has to be worrying.

Also, even though she’s got to be comforted by the fact that Serena and Maria and other big hitters are in the twilight of the careers, we’re already seeing some younger players—like Muguruza, Bencic, maybe Bouchard if she can ever get her act together again--step forward as candidates to take their place, and some or all of those “replacements” could keep Halep from winning some/any GS titles down the road.

Rainy Dog

Roger was lucky to get through against Kohlschreiber yesterday. Finally getting his first serve back towards the end of the third was all that pulled him through really.

Kohlschreiber played as well as I've ever seen him. Especially his serving during the second set. Was firing aces down and racing through his service games not giving Roger a sniff.

Niraj

Roger was lucky to get through against Kohlschreiber yesterday. Finally getting his first serve back towards the end of the third was all that pulled him through really.

Kohlschreiber played as well as I've ever seen him. Especially his serving during the second set. Was firing aces down and racing through his service games not giving Roger a sniff.

Definitely agree. It really seemed like he was going to lose, I was surprised he managed to snatch it away. Kohlschreiber was really crushing his forehand in the last two sets.

For the WTA we've got Muguruza v Radwanska and Kvitova v Sharapova in the semis. Should be a good couple matches.

Niraj

22 months of Nadal avoiding Fed and now that Roger is in really poor form they'll probably meet on Sunday x_x

lol pretty much

This is pretty much exactly like his last match, although I'd say Kohlschreiber was playing much better. Roger is garb right now

Niraj

Fed better hope he doesn't have a blip like that in the final against Gasquet on Sunday

<_<

szaromir

Banned
Not this time lol.

A lot of people are expressing their anger that Aga is in the final with two losses. Which is kinda weird since that's the point of the round robin + playoffs tournaments that the possibility of such situation is ingrained in the formula.

Yay Aga! As superb an effort as she made to come back after losing a very tight first set, she did as well not to burst into tears during the interview afterward. She's got extremely tight in more or less every third set this year, especially when ahead. Hopefully some success will see her relax more from here on. I think her game is as good as its ever been (check out the way she played coming back from 1-5 in the tie-break against Halep on Thursday, those forehands, woof), but her mental strength is quite a bit weaker than it once was.

This has been a very enjoyable YEC considering Serena's withdrawal and all the injuries that the players are carrying. Sharapova has played ridiculous tennis in her three matches, both her striking and mental fortitude at top notch despite not playing a full match for half the year. Aga/Halep's first set was top drawer tennis and drama, and both groups saw crucial final match 'saves' for Aga and Kvitova by Sharapova and Safarova. No boring dead rubbers (my main problem with the round robin format).

Muguruza seemed to run short of energy after playing so many matches in both singles and doubles. I think having such a slow court is a bad choice giving the intensity and proximity of the matches.

It wasn't even a very unfair result by the standards of round robin differentiation - all three of Halep, Aga and Pennetta were 1-2 in W/L, but Aga took a set off Maria in one of her losses meaning she was ahead on set differential. I'm sure there was a scenario a couple of years ago in the men's WTF where Berdych knocked out Murray (?) on game differential, which is much more of a coinflip.

szaromir

Banned
Aga-Petra final it is. I would be okay with either player as a winner, though Aga taking the trophy would be slightly better - she's too good a player not to have any big titles to prove it.

Niraj

Gasquet really blew this match. Up a break in both sets, Nadal gifts him two set points in the tiebreak of the second set after being up 4-1, still loses in straights.

sam777

Nadal vs Federer tomorrow. Nadal's first final in Basel, which shows he hasn't done to bad this week. Hope he can win it tomorrow.

Niraj

Nadal vs Federer tomorrow. Nadal's first final in Basel, which shows he hasn't done to bad this week. Hope he can win it tomorrow.

I would say that they're both average at best honestly. Wouldn't be surprised if Nadal wins in 3 though

szaromir

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal won in two as Roger can be quite brainless when playing him. I'm sure he's determined to win though, particularly in his home town.

Top Bottom