• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

The quality of the tennis in the Nadal/Gasquet match from 4-4 in the first till 0-1 Gasquet in the second was S-class. Would have been fitting for a Wimbledon final and frankly deserved a bit more love from the Basel crowd than it got. Shame Gasquet did his typical Le Choke while serving for the second set with two double faults and a horrendous (and needless) leave which dropped well inside the sideline.

Kvitova just took Sharapova on at the power hitting game and won. Sharapova had no fall back when she realised she was losing it, and even with a 5-1 lead in the second she couldn't close out when Petra found her range again. I suppose a Petra/Aga final will annoy all the right people, haha.

What a great match. Kvitova looked like she wasn't going to be able to compete for the first hour, but when she came online, boy did she come online. 7 out of 8 games to go from 1-3 in the second to 2-0 up in the third, pasting hard, accurate, flat shots one after the other and completely taking the game away from Aga. Then Aga toughened, chased even harder and made the third set a superb battle of wills, eventually forcing Kvitova out of her groove. The UE differential read 53-5 by the end, a rugby score. Styles make fights.

And when you look at the journey Aga's made this year, from the nadir of losing R1 to Annika Beck at the French, through a strong grass season, a tough US hard court swing, then hard fought victories in Asia, to a miracle escape in the YEC RR, before two gruelling matches against the crushing power of Muguruza and Kvitova, you have to tip your hat. Immense resilience leading to the biggest win of her career.

RedAssedApe

Banned
early break! doesn't mean anything in this match up though. he's blown plenty of leads against nadal.

whats up with some of these annoying camera angles...can't see shit.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
early break! doesn't mean anything in this match up though. he's blown plenty of leads against nadal.

whats up with some of these annoying camera angles...can't see shit.

They always do that stupid shit, I don't get it.

Oh man, what a beauty that was

Niraj

Fuck yeah. Basically a microcosm of both their matches this week. Roger plays a great first set, somehow blows the second, wins in three. Nadal starts off slowly, takes one set, but this time he couldn't grab the third one.

sam777

As a Nadal fan he did better than I thought he would, happy with his performance hope he can carry that and more in to Paris.

Smellycat

Yeeeeeeeeeeees

Great win for Federer. 7th title here, 88th title overall and 6th of the season.

Nadal battled well, but I honestly thought he shouldn't have won that second set. Federer gifted some of those points towards the end. Then again, Nadal did the same in the third set.

Diamond

It was fascinating to see how Nadal managed to progressively enter the head of the better playing Federer during the match, like he has during a good part of their past encounters. End of the second set, beginning of the third, Roger seemed completely lost on some points. He seemed to be a little bit emotional by having to play Rafa in front of "his" crowd too. But he served exceptionally well (again) and managed to recover a bit of consistency at the right time. Nice match overall, if a little frustrating as always because the mind games between the two sometimes work against the quality of play.

szaromir

Banned
Very happy with both results. Aga vs Petra was clearly a match of two tired and somewhat injured players, but good that Aga finally managed to edge out top opponents in thos final strzetches of a tournament. Hopefully she repeats that at a major, she really needs at least on to make her career complete,

I was furious after Roger got broken in the second set. It was so frustrating to see Roger being comfortably the better player and yet falling for the usual shenanigans once again. Luckily he steered the ship in the third set, and big time saving helped him in that one tough service game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I missed the classic, and Fed even won? Maaaaaan

Just a few interviews ago Federer said in response to "do you think Nadal will bounce back to that top?", "oh yeah definitely". Awesome score for both players, can't wait to see the whole match somewhere soon

Yes!!! First set was pretty good tennis, but the level dropped in the last two sets. Still, first win for Roger against Nadal since 2012.
fainting.gif

I'm happy for Aga winning the year end championships. It's good to see a real feminine lady win it all.

Not sure what your intentions were, but this quote makes you seem like a piece of work.

Serena isn't feminine just because she is black or has more muscle? Petra? Kim? I would like to hear an explanation of what makes a women deserving of the title of "feminine".

ghstwrld

unless I'm totally mistaken, the good sis is making an oblique reference to that messy and high-key anti-black sexist nyt article about serena's body vs everyone else in the wta; agatha and her coach's comments are some of the most interesting ones:

“It’s our decision to keep her as the smallest player in the top 10,” said Tomasz Wiktorowski, the coach of Agnieszka Radwanska, who is listed at 5 feet 8 and 123 pounds. “Because, first of all she’s a woman, and she wants to be a woman.”

laugh.gif

unless I'm totally mistaken, the good sis is making an oblique reference to that messy and high-key anti-black sexist nyt article about serena's body vs everyone else in the wta; agatha and her coach's comments are some of the most interesting ones:

“It’s our decision to keep her as the smallest player in the top 10,” said Tomasz Wiktorowski, the coach of Agnieszka Radwanska, who is listed at 5 feet 8 and 123 pounds. “Because, first of all she’s a woman, and she wants to be a woman.”

laugh.gif

;)

I thought everyone right away would get what I was referencing. lolz

He is horrible. I can't be the only one that sees that.

Borna played horrible. Johanson is not the one to teach him how to hit a forehand.

I only watched a bit of the match and I personally wouldn't class him as the most natural of talents. His biomechanics seem off, maybe it's just his age and growing into his tennis body. Maybe it's just me. It's certain from his results and going pro this year that he is the next hope for USA tennis though.

I was catching up on this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/s...akes-things-up-on-and-off-the-court.html?_r=0

Are you saying Johanson is now his coach after hiring Higueras only middle of this year? Surprising so many coaching changes but not unusual for the USTA/McEnroe to move away from his junior coach. I feel for Kouznetsov having quit his job to get this junior where he is today, I'd like to see him be a trainer or support coach to keep with his prodigy during this time.

Niraj

Damn, Fed just lost to Isner 7-6 (3), 3-6 7-6 (5). Not the best tiebreaks by him, oh well.

Top Bottom