• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Meliorism

Fish/Roddick is nice. Would be interesting to see Fish win but I don't think it's going to matter. Fed will defend his title.

Clijsters to win another straight tournament as well.

Shame about Serena, but that opens the door for some other women on the Open. Still, gonna play it safe and say Clijsters to repeat.

d+pad

Rafa=FedKilla said:
You don't. It's a best of three set match, it's not that physically taxing.

Tell that to Djockovic, Murray and Roddick -- all of whom have looked completely wasted after just a set this week...

Meliorism

d+pad said:
Except she lost today...

lol

Eek. Guess I wasn't paying attention. Crazy stuff.

Well, I'll still stick with my Open pick.

edit: Shame about the double for Rafa. It's been a pretty solid match for sure.

jett

D-Member
Stop making me look bad Nadal!

Anyway, one of these days Rafa's gonna have to work on his serving game. He has got to have the worst serve out of the top 20.

Speevy

Banned
Nadal put so many balls into the net that he deserved to lose the match. Pathetic performance for a player of his caliber.

d+pad

Hmmm, so who is going to win this, then? If this were a year or two ago, I would have said Federer, no problem, but now I'm not so sure.

I actually think (hope) the final might be Baghdatis vs. Fish! :lol

d+pad said:
Tell that to Djockovic, Murray and Roddick -- all of whom have looked completely wasted after just a set this week...
Djokovic is a baby, Murray played all last week and Roddick supposedly had mono. If it was true you had to beat Rafa in only two sets, he would never loose in majors.

d+pad

Speevy said:
Nadal put so many balls into the net that he deserved to lose the match. Pathetic performance for a player of his caliber.

Yeah, but he hasn't exactly been looking sharp this hardcourt season. I know it's not his favorite surface, but still...

This is going to be an interesting US Open, that's for sure.

zero_suit

d+pad said:
Hmmm, so who is going to win this, then? If this were a year or two ago, I would have said Federer, no problem, but now I'm not so sure.

I actually think (hope) the final might be Baghdatis vs. Fish! :lol

Roddick:D

d+pad

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Djokovic is a baby, Murray played all last week and Roddick supposedly had mono. If it was true you had to beat Rafa in only two sets, he would never loose in majors.

I wasn't really commenting on the fact that you have to beat Rafa in two sets -- more that playing three sets in such conditions isn't easy.

Speevy

Banned
I hope Federer wins this, just to boost his confidence.

I didn't realize that I actually missed him at #1 until he stopped being a contender for the spot.

d+pad

Speevy said:

I didn't realize that I actually missed him at #1 until he stopped being a contender for the spot.

Huh. I'm rooting for Fish, the "journeyman." Fed's had his day, time to let someone else have it.

MIMIC

Banned
Nadal gonna have his work cut out for him in New York. He's too vulnerable on HC. Only way he wins it is with a cushy draw and Federer in the finals. lol

MIMIC said:
Nadal gonna have his work cut out for him in New York. He's too vulnerable on HC. Only way he wins it is with a cushy draw and Federer in the finals. lol

lol the commentators said something funny today during the Roddick/Djokovic match. I believe it was cliff drysdale late in the second set that said something on the lines of "Roddick really needs to pull out this match. It would be real disheartening for Roddick if he loses at this point to an opponent that only seems to care half the time"

:lol

I just think its Djokovic's personality to laugh bad points off. Doesn't mean he's not trying. Thats just my opinion though

unomas

Banned
Speevy said:

Nadal put so many balls into the net because the court plays fast which forces him to drive his shots with lower net clearance, thus the higher number of errors. Cincy has always played fast, much like courts did back in the day and Nadal has never made the finals of Cincy or the US Open, both of which are fast courts. Nadal does well on medium to slow paced hardcourts, no US Open win for him ever unless a miracle happens, too many players can beat him on a fast hardcourt.

Absolutely disgusting play from Fish. He made a decision when he got fit and dropped the weight. He asked himself, "Do I want to be a decent player or a good player?" But by completely changing his style of play and becoming a fucking pusher he decided he wanted to be a decent player. He took the Roddick path, make the 3rd and 4th rounds, but get crushed by the big boys. Fish has completely forgotten what got him to the Us Open quarters, an attacking all court game, great serve and volley and a lights out backhand. Absolutely disgusting what he has become now.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Absolutely disgusting play from Fish. He made a decision when he got fit and dropped the weight. He asked himself, "Do I want to be a decent player or a good player?" But by completely changing his style of play and becoming a fucking pusher he decided he wanted to be a decent player. He took the Roddick path, make the 3rd and 4th rounds, but get crushed by the big boys. Fish has completely forgotten what got him to the Us Open quarters, an attacking all court game, great serve and volley and a lights out backhand. Absolutely disgusting what he has become now.

I know you hate on anyone that loses to Roddick but why weren't you hating on Djokovic yesterday?

perfectchaos007 said:
I know you hate on anyone that loses to Roddick but why weren't you hating on Djokovic yesterday?
I take back everything I just said. I didn't hate on Djokovic because he always loses to Roddick, I had mentally prepared myself to the outcome. Also, Djokovic, like Roddick won't amount to anything more. Djokovic just hits a wall against the top guys or when he is in a pinch.

After watching some of these summer tournaments, I'm thinking more and more that the US Open is wide open. No guy on tour looks unbeatable right now. It will be interesting to see what the oddsmakers say

yanhero

Speevy said:

God damn, just cause he dropped to rank2/3 hes not even a contender for rank 1 anymore? :lol haters gonna hate i guess.

d+pad

hsin said:
Best tennis from Federer since the AO this week. This tournament is more or less over.

I'll definitely be disappointed if Fish doesn't at least make a match of it. I actually think he has a shot to win it, but just a shot...

unomas

Banned
Fish doesn't have a good head to head with Roger, but his backhand is stronger and his first serve as well, just depends if he can break down Roger's backhand or not. Fish has been playing very smart and patient points, let's see if he does that again in the final.

hsin

Banned
d+pad said:
I'll definitely be disappointed if Fish doesn't at least make a match of it. I actually think he has a shot to win it, but just a shot...

He'll need to serve consistently well and play aggressive to Fed's BH, which is still not in the most convincing form. Then he'll have a good shot. Will be tough for him if Fed is also serving well.

hsin

Banned
Just waking up to find out I missed most of it. FISH GOING THE DISTANCE WOW! But Fed serving for the championship.

Edit: Oh thank god.

Top Bottom