• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Splatt

I don't know where to post this, because there is no official Davis Cup thread, but after a thriller match with France, Serbia has won it!!!!

97094_masa2685_f.jpg
75087_tenis-viktor-troicki-07_f.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
Splatt said:
I don't know where to post this, because there is no official Davis Cup thread, but after a thriller match with France, Serbia has won it!!!!

97094_masa2685_f.jpg
75087_tenis-viktor-troicki-07_f.jpg

Sve cestitke Srpskoj reprezentaciji, odlican uspeh!
:D

t55g1w.gif

Peru

Didn't watch it, but followed some tweeting about it and it seems like an exciting match and very happy winners. Have to find it and watch it.

Splatt

97193_award-ceremony27_origh.jpg
97195_award-ceremony30_origh.jpg
97192_award-ceremony25_origh.jpg
97194_award-ceremony29_origh.jpg

And here we see pictures depicting the traditional ritual of shaving the head after winning a major trophy :lol :lol :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nadal beat Federer 7-6 7-6 for the first tournament of the year today

ceG0S.jpg

I won't be surprised if the guy gets all four titles this year but I hope Federer takes at least one. Maybe the Australian Open again if he plays like last year! Should be a very exciting tennis year at least

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Not an ATP tourney brah, exho.
Yeah, but it was still really nice to watch (like the charity matches they did) plus it's first of the year :)

Can't wait for the AO

ShyGuy

No Australian Open thread yet?

10 days to go....

--

In other news

2011 Hopman Cup has been a great tournament so far. A lot of high-quality matchups I must say.

Brisbane International heading for a Soderling v Roddick final. Not half bad.

Doha has Federer v Nadal likely final.

Good matches so far in 2011!

clemenx

Banned
Davydenko is making an epic collapse right now :lol :lol :lol I'll shoot myself if he loses.

6-3 5-0 and he double faults at deuce serving for the match.

5-2 now, triple BP for Nadal :lol :lol

Oh well, Davy wins but that almost choke was exciting.

hsin

Banned
I think if Nadal had to play a third set, he would die. Dude needs to be in bed and recover for AO. Regardless, I thought Davy played his game well.

MIMIC

Banned
I saw the match earlier today. When Davydenko and Federer play, they play each other at light speed :lol Davydenko takes the ball so early that Federer has no other choice but to match his speed with some of his own.

Congrats to Federer but it's good to see that Davydenko is somewhat back to form after a disappointing end to 2010.

hsin said:
I think if Nadal had to play a third set, he would die. Dude needs to be in bed and recover for AO. Regardless, I thought Davy played his game well.
Nadal is the only undefeated player in the history of mankind - that is when he is 100% healthy and not affected by fever, arthritis, family trauma, receding hairline, etc. VAMOS! lol.

So, Söderling won(Yay!) against Roddick and passes Murray on the ranking list to 4:th because of this. This means Söderling should get the 4th seed in the AO GS.

Who should get Murray in his quarter now in AO?

Would be cool if it's Djokovics :)

88random

Good to see him back :) I hope he will get to his old form in a few months, maybe earlier...

So, we are heading to very open Australian Open.. I hope Fed will defend his tittle and mark the begining of another succesfull season and hopefully get back to No 1. Rafa has a lot points to defend, from clay season till the US Open and I really doubt he will sweep the clay season again and win 3 slams.
Other than Federer, I would like Djokovic to win it (still unknown form). And Soderling has a good chance to get to the final at least (if he doesn't get in the Fed's half).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Del Potro is the best tennis entertainer ever. Always love his matches

I believe Federer has the best shot to win again, especially if he plays like last year

CrankyJay

Banned
Does anyone know when tickets for the Toronto tournament or the US Open go on sale? My wife is pretty big into tennis and I'd like to take her to some events. Thanks.

hsin

Banned
Canadian Psycho said:
Nadal is the only undefeated player in the history of mankind - that is when he is 100% healthy and not affected by fever, arthritis, family trauma, receding hairline, etc. VAMOS! lol.

federerbestclass GAF account confirmed.

Peru

If anyone is inspired it would make a nice change of pace for someone not named Peru, MIMIC or Wes to make one.

Peru

I'm sort of disillusioned about all my favorites at this minute and just hoping for some good tennis, so I'm not that excited about the draw. Watching now anyway.

MIMIC said:
I wonder where Mahut will be placed into the draw. Actually....how does that even work? When are the qualifiers placed?

Anyway, here's ESPN's picks for the winner:

Men: Nadal (3), Federer (3), Djokovic (3)
Women: Clijsters (9)

Wow @ those Clijsters predictions. She's the #3 seed and a consensus to win. Doubt that happens often. I wonder if the betting sites agree

unomas

Banned
For anyone using the ESPN3 app on 360, it looks like there will be tons of different courts that can be watched live throughout the tournament. I'm really looking forward to this, no more having to watch whatever match ESPN2 wants to show on cable only. Loving it!

MIMIC

Banned
MIMIC said:
I wonder where Mahut will be placed into the draw. Actually....how does that even work? When are the qualifiers placed?

Anyway, here's ESPN's picks for the winner:

Men: Nadal (3), Federer (3), Djokovic (3)
Women: Clijsters (9)

3 people got it right!

Also, Baghdatis beat Murray 6-4, 6-1 in the 1st round of Rotterdam. Not exactly an earth-shattering result (given that it's a small tournament), but it surely doesn't look good for a top 10 player to lose 2 matches in a row.

He probably should have pulled out since made the finals at the Aussie Open. Djoker did. He needs to recover physically and mentally first.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I was at the first three days of the tournament, too bad I didn't see the Murray match but I loved finally seeing Berdych in action

hsin

Banned
MIMIC said:
3 people got it right!

Also, Baghdatis beat Murray 6-4, 6-1 in the 1st round of Rotterdam. Not exactly an earth-shattering result (given that it's a small tournament), but it surely doesn't look good for a top 10 player to lose 2 matches in a row.

He probably should have pulled out since made the finals at the Aussie Open. Djoker did. He needs to recover physically and mentally first.

Seems like in the past 4 years, it's been bad luck to win the AO. Djoko in 2008 suffered a drop in form for awhile, Nadal in 2009 was sidelined for the rest of the season mostly, Fed in 2010 had a losing streak and now Djoko in 2011 with a "shoulder injury". Granted, it doesn't seem like it's too serious at the moment but we'll see how he does in the US hardcourt season.

Top Bottom