• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

sam777

This Wawrinka match has just become very interesting.

Wawrinka a break up in the second set, hopefully he can take the set.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Stan really turned this one around. Awesome.

Edit: pretty terrible game there. Maybe he can dig himself out of this again.

Niraj

Terrible set from Stan. Should have just lost the second set to save himself some embarrassment.

MIMIC

Banned
Good Lord, Novak!

- 6 Masters titles in a season (record)
- 27-4 against top 10 opponents in a season (record)
- 4 Paris Masters titles (record)
- 22-match win streak
- 58th career tittle

I WANT MOAR

Grep

Banned
This tour is so pathetic. If only Federer wasn't 34 years old, he would wipe the floor with everyone even Djokovic.

Yes of course, please remind us when was the last time Federer dominated over Djokovic or Nadal?

It's funny how a lot of people can't accept the success of the best player in tennis history.

Smellycat

Yes of course, please remind us when was the last time Federer dominated over Djokovic or Nadal?

It's funny how a lot of people can't accept the success of the best player in tennis history.

First of all, Djokovic is nowhere near the greatest player of all time yet. He has to string together a couple of more of these types of years. I am basing my opinion about what I saw this year. Federer is pretty much the only player who consistently gives Djokovic a fight nowadays (aside from a rare in form Wawrinka). He has beaten him twice this year and pushed him to 4-5 sets at the last 3 GS finals. If only he was playing from the baseline like he did in 2012 and prior, he would have nabbed at least the US Open final and Wimbledon. He had so many opportunities to nab the lead in that US final but unfortunately that killer instinct declines in champions as they age.

Please can we stop the GOAT talk in Tennis. Everyone that holds records gets them broken eventually. And Tennis play style varies so much that the game is a super convoluted game of rock paper scissors. When Djokovic starts getting dominated by another player are we going to start calling that person the GOAT?

This tour is so pathetic. If only Federer wasn't 34 years old, he would wipe the floor with everyone even Djokovic.

eb9.gif

As dominant as Djokovic has been this season, I think the highest standard of tennis he's ever played was during the 2011 season. The 2011 US Open final against Nadal, in particular, was insane, scarcely believable stuff (If I remember right Andy Roddick said if he didn't know better he'd have said Novak and Rafa were Playstation characters) but that kind of gruelling tennis shortens careers and forces injuries, so I understand why we don't see as much of it nowadays. Murray used to try to rally with Djokovic, but now he tries to blow him off the court with aggression. Occasionally he'll pull it off (Montreal), but mostly he's not going to get close, especially on slower surfaces. 34 UEs in 16 games would have made Murray suicidal earlier in his career.

Diamond

Nice speech in french by Novak during the ceremony, like Federer he seems to open a little bit more compared to when he speaks in english.
Hope for a great tournament in London now. Federer will be fresh, Nadal, Wawrinka, Berdych and Murray playing well. Djokovic will of course be the man to beat, but it could be fun.

Smellycat

Nice speech in french by Novak during the ceremony, like Federer he seems to open a little bit more compared to when he speaks in english.
Hope for a great tournament in London now. Federer will be fresh, Nadal, Wawrinka, Berdych and Murray playing well. Djokovic will of course be the man to beat, but it could be fun.

Could be very interesting. Djokovic, Federer and Nadal could end up in the same group.

Rainy Dog

When's the draw? I've got a day pass for the Thursday again (19th).

Hopefully get to see Roger again though would be nice to catch Stan, Nadal and Djoker this time which I think should actually be possible given their rankings.

Seeing Roger annihilate Murray 6-0, 6-1 last year was just glorious to behold.

Diamond

Last year the draw was known the day after the Paris Masters Final so they should publish it soon.
Enjoy being there, spending a few days in London and go see the WTF is definitely something I want to do at least once.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
As dominant as Djokovic has been this season, I think the highest standard of tennis he's ever played was during the 2011 season. The 2011 US Open final against Nadal, in particular, was insane, scarcely believable stuff (If I remember right Andy Roddick said if he didn't know better he'd have said Novak and Rafa were Playstation characters) but that kind of gruelling tennis shortens careers and forces injuries, so I understand why we don't see as much of it nowadays. Murray used to try to rally with Djokovic, but now he tries to blow him off the court with aggression. Occasionally he'll pull it off (Montreal), but mostly he's not going to get close, especially on slower surfaces. 34 UEs in 16 games would have made Murray suicidal earlier in his career.
Exactly like you said, that type of tennis has real consequences and is not needed anymore, the tour and tennis itself constantly adapt to what's best for the sport, in that way you can argue Djokovic 2015 > Djokovic 2011, I mean his reflexes have only gone better since then, he rarely gets frustrated anymore, crowd, media, popularity, all those things don't faze him anymore. I basically only see him get frustrated these days when his opponent hits such an incredible shot that actually hits the very end on a line and then he yells it out for a short while and goes back to being his calm self. You can't find that kind of mental strength in any other player in the world right now, not even Roger (major respect for Nishikori in that regard at the US Open tho)

Niraj

So Djokovic v Nishikori and Federer v Berdych today? Not a bad start at all. Should be fun.

Xun

Going to be heading to the O2 shortly for what will be the first time seeing professional tennis in person.

Should be good!

Peru

CT28BhTW4AIwiB-.jpg

Gotta love the atmosphere in prague for Fed Cup and it's amazing seeing a full house for a doubles match as closer.

Niraj

Lame match lol

Berdych self destructed in his last service game

Edit: the courts are so slow that the drop shots practically die lol

I'm wondering if there are just going to be a bunch of beatdowns like there were last year

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tennis is on now? Maaan lemme check in

edit, oh nothing to see here yet... Tho that backhand was placed godly by Roger

Going to be heading to the O2 shortly for what will be the first time seeing professional tennis in person.

Should be good!
You probably chose the best tourney to start out with as a spectator, inside with the best players in the world? Would love to go there even more than going to Wimbledon!! Give us a review when you're back :)

Niraj

Glad Fed won after that slow start, but that was pretty dull. Hope we get some better matches as the week goes on.

Once the spirit's gone, the body's long gone, people need to learn from Ippo :)

True enough.

Xun

You probably chose the best tourney to start out with as a spectator, inside with the best players in the world? Would love to go there even more than going to Wimbledon!! Give us a review when you're back :)
It was good fun! Even if both matches were over quickly.

Some exciting points throughout.

I'd love to go to Wimbledon next year if possible for a more "traditional" tennis experience though, but I thoroughly enjoyed it regardless.

Also I always knew the diehard Federer fans were nuts, I just didn't expect them to be that nuts.

They are literally incapable of shutting up.

Top Bottom