• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

When Murray/Ferrer is clearly the best match of the first two days of the World Tour Finals you know the matches have been shit. Special mention to Stan for openly tanking the second set after Rafa saved BP at 0-1 with a wonderful lob.

Fed Cup finals was a great watch. Strycova's relentless net rushing in the decider annoyed Vesnina to the point where she began aiming at her head. Strycova just laughed it off and kept coming. And Karo Pliskova, improbably, showed resilience and clutch ability in her singles against the woefully unfit Pavluchenkova and the doubles too. Great win for the Czechs despite superb matches from Sharapova.

sam777

It looks like Nadal vs Murray is the daytime match tomorrow, what is the point in that, why have the more interesting match at a time when there will be less viewers.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well, Nishikori was better today at least, though not too surprising. I'm pretty sure Berdych has a losing record against all seven of the other players in the tournament. If Djokovic beats Federer today, the Nishikori-Federer match will be pretty interesting since it will determine which of the two of them will move on to the semis. Kind of crazy considering the beatdown Kei got in the first match, but such is the nature of round robin events.

Rainy Dog

Terrific stuff from Roger to take that first set. If only he could have played a few of those break points in the US Open final like that.

Ok. i figured it out now. Djoko is so confident that he can clown on anyone he might as well tank the hardest match. no need to exhaust yourself early.

Federer is simply the man! What a legend! Do it again in the final please

Are you for real? Lack of motivation against Federer? lool

Yeah. He knows he'll have to probably play him again in the finals. Why waste emotional and physical energy in the first meeting that essentially doesn't matter*

*Assuming Djokovic takes care of business in his third match and moves on which I'm sure he will

szaromir

Banned
What a fantastic result yesterday. Just watched the highlights, some thoughts:
-this court is really slow, like much slower than the notoriously slow Indian Wells
-Roger was not afraid of rallying, pretty much in all matches Djoker's opponents over the last few months played mindbogglingly dumb, what a nice change
-Djokovic broken 3 times in a set hilarious

Hopefully Roger adds WTF to the line-up of tournaments he's won 7 times

Murray hits eleventy million unforced errors and loses 6-4 6-1. Rafa played well, showing consistency and aggression on the big points that he hasn't done too often this year, but I think this was more about Murray turning in an awful performance. He was actually doing fine in the first few games of the match, which featured several very long rallies, but then he seemed to tire and was panting for air for much of the first set. Not that that would explain his pathetic 1st serve percentage.

miserable

murray1lhorb.gif

Xun

Murray hits eleventy million unforced errors and loses 6-4 6-1. Rafa played well, showing consistency and aggression on the big points that he hasn't done too often this year, but I think this was more about Murray turning in an awful performance. He was actually doing fine in the first few games of the match, which featured several very long rallies, but then he seemed to tire and was panting for air for much of the first set. Not that that would explain his pathetic 1st serve percentage.
Indeed.

It's a shame since he played some great points throughout.

Hopefully he'll play better later on in the week.

Smellycat

Federer is very sluggish today so far. His serve isn't clicking at all and his ground game is just not there. Nishikori is bossing him so far.

If he wants to avoid playing Nadal in the SF then he has to 1) win this match or 2) Lose and hope that Djokovic wins his match against Berdych

Edit: First set goes to Federer!!! Great last game

Niraj

Would've been kind of a letdown if he hadn't gotten the break there after going up 0-30

edit: that was ugly lol

Niraj

Alright, hopefully we get DirecTV Federer instead of cable Federer like the latter half of that second set

Top Bottom