• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Berdych gave it a good try but the result was inevitable, just doesn't have it against the top guys consistently enough. Djokovic just had to win the first set to move on.

szaromir

Banned
Berdych handed Djokovic that first set and qualification to the semis, but he could still win this match if he puts his heart into it. Djokovic is not playing that well.

The forehand miss at 9-8 by Peers is one of the worst I've ever seen. He went on to miss an easy smash and net a makeable volley before losing. Failed to handle the pressure at all.

szaromir

Banned
So, tired Nadal will be an easy prey tomorrow, Wawrinka will play against Roger as if his life depended on it, and the winner of that match will be deflated on Sunday. Becker as the evil mastermind far surpasses uncle Toni.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
wawrinka, lol.

well, i would rather see federer play this murray than risk having wawrinka unlock some magic before choking in the final. the scot ain't got nothing on rogi these days.

So we have Djokovic/Nadal in one semi, and the Swiss battle for supremacy on the other semi. Should be fun! I hope the O2 is still a sellout even though both of their countrymen are out

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So we have Djokovic/Nadal in one semi, and the Swiss battle for supremacy on the other semi. Should be fun! I hope the O2 is still a sellout even though both of their countrymen are out
Good weekend ahead! Can't wait for Nadal/Wawrinka, unless Nadal has something sweet up his sleeve tho we know who's gonna get that one and of course Stan/Fed, wonder if we'll get drama again this year

szaromir

Banned
Djokovic vs Nadal H2H: 22-23
Federer vs Wawrinka H2H: 17:3

And yet it's the second match where the outcome is more uncertain... Probably Djoker will win 62 62 again and Nadal will claim he played well afterwards, just didn't get the result.

szaromir

Banned
Rafa is not going back to where he once was. He's not only slower than he used to be, he's slower than Federer is now. Nadal pretty much cannot hit top spin backhand on the run anymore, because he doesn't get there in time (and his backspin BH isn't in the league of Fed's or Murray's or frankly Tomic's), dropshotting him is also a good strategy because he doesn't get up there as quickly anymore, although Djoker's lobs were flawless today. Add weaker serve and less penetrating FH and you get a shadow of the player who terrorized the tour back in 2013.

While it's true that Rafa isn't as good a mover as he used to be, he is getting some serious power back in his forehand. If he continues to improve I expect he'll be a real threat on the clay next year (which is surely what he's targeting).

sam777

For Nadal it was a positive way to end the season overall, no shame in losing to Novak today as he was just too good and no one would have beat him on today's form.

On to the other semi final, if Stan can bring his A game he will win I reckon however with Stan you never know.

szaromir

Banned
Pretty crappy match thus far but at least points are quick, so the winner should be fresh for tomorrow. Becker's plan is not working as intended.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
My power went out right when the match was starting, and just came on before the last game. At least I got to catch that much :(

szaromir

Banned
My power went out right when the match was starting, and just came on before the last game. At least I got to catch that much :(

Crappy beginning from both, but Roger improved as the match went on.

10th WTF final for Roger. Crazy. Hopefully 7th title tomorrow.

Djokovic will roll Federer tomorrow because Fed has a false sense of confidence. I told you guys that Djoker loss to Fed in pool play was tactical for this reason.

szaromir

Banned
Djokovic will roll Federer tomorrow because Fed has a false sense of confidence. I told you guys that Djoker loss to Fed in pool play was tactical for this reason.
Eh, it's kinda true that Roger came out on the Wimbledon USO finals with the expectations of winning them and became reeeally tight once Djokovic starting bringing back one too many balls, but the WTF final is a much smaller occasion, so I don't think his emotions will come into play anywhere near as much.

Djokovic himself played a spectacular opening return game, but otherwise wasn't exceptional today.

szaromir

Banned
One frustrating part about Djokovic is that he has this offensive shotmaking ability but he only shows it against Nadal, against everyone else it's disgusting grinding which we can see from the very first game. Matches like the Rome final (against Federer) or some random scrubs in early slam rounds are rare exceptions to the rule.

Top Bottom