• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Great effort by raonic after playing 5 3 setters and playing back to back weeks.

Roddick is the worst player to watch.
How fast can this guy become top 10?

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Great effort by raonic after playing 5 3 setters and playing back to back weeks.

Roddick is the worst player to watch.

...aaaaand Roddick wins the tournament beating your boy Del Potro in route.

U MAD?

PuppetSlave said:
Amazing way to finish the match.

Roddicks winning point

Raonic is ranked 37 now I think. I heard he going to Acapulco next for his 8 straight week of tennis. I wonder how long he can keep this up.
If he does go, he may be the only player that shows up. Another 14 people dead in Alcapulco today as a result of drug cartels. Who in their right mind would play?

MIMIC

Banned
First time I was Raonic. Supreme choke job. Was gifted a set point in the 1st tiebreaker.....all that was missing was the bow (and with that serve, the set is in the bag, right? lol, wrong).

Peru

Andy's got the same head of hair as I do.. and I play tennis with that cap as well. Otherwise our tennis is very different.

Peru

Impressive by the Joker.. wouldn't have believed this ~one year ago, but I won't say "he's in it for the long run" before French Open.

Starting to get excited about Indian Wells.

hsin

Banned
RE: Dubai finals - Djokovic is definitely the man to beat this year on HC. As much as I love Fedbot, I'm glad Djoko is finally proving himself as a TRUE world number 3 and a REAL contender for number 1. It looks like Fed might have improved the way he deals with Nadal but the strategy doesn't seem to work on 2011 Djoko.

Hope some fireworks happen at IW.

RBH

ULLEa.jpg

Agassi vs. Sampras at 9pm EST tonight on ESPN2 in Madison Square Garden.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
RBH said:
http://i.imgur.com/ULLEa.jpg[IMG]

Agassi vs. Sampras at 9pm EST tonight on ESPN2 in Madison Square Garden.[/QUOTE]
How much has their game changed now that they're older? Is it mostly in speed of everything (footwork, stroke and serve) or is it more?

MIMIC

Banned
Indian Wells live coverage started today.

UPSETS

Devvarman def. Baghdatis 7-5, 6-0
Malisse def. Tsonga 7-6(6)-7-5
Karlovic def. Ferrer 7-6(3), 6-3
del Potro def. Ljubicic 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 (I guess I consider it an upset since Ivan was the defending champion)
Safina def. Hantuchova 7-6(2), 6-4

And the biggest upset of them all:

Donald Young def. Andy Murray 7-6(4), 6-3

I only saw a few points in the tiebreak (I was about to head out) but I'm really surprised. Murray has sunk to a new low. I didn't think too much of the loss to Baghdatis in Rotterdam but THIS makes it 3 straight losses for him.

Maybe he DOES need to take a break.

MIMIC

Banned
I guess. I just though del Potro's "comeback" wasn't going to progress this quickly.

And this just in:

Sweeting def. Monaco 6-1, 0-6, 6-1
01laugh.gif

MIMIC

Banned
Federer, Nadal, and Djoker all cruise into the 3rd round. Well....Nadal and Djoker did =p

Djoker vs. Gulbis in the 3rd round. My two favorite players :(

MIMIC

Banned
More upsets:

Kohlschreiber beat Soderling. Soderling gave a laughable performance after blowing 5 set points (with many of them on his serve)

Querrey took out Verdasco 7-5, 6-4

And I cannot believe that Safina beat Stosur. Both were wobbly in the match but I was sure that Stosur would have come out on top.

MIMIC

Banned
Good God. Djoker obliterated Gulbis ;_; Novak better win the title!

And Fed's playing Chela right now. 3-0*, Federer

hsin

Banned
Fed with those return winners LOL

Edit: I thought this was suppose to be a slower hardcore. Doesn't seem like it!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
hsin said:
Fed with those return winners LOL

Edit: I thought this was suppose to be a slower hardcore. Doesn't seem like it!
Harrison's second serve is flyin

He's also giving Raonic some good trouble

MIMIC

Banned
Indian Wells | Semi-Finals:

1 - del Potro vs. Nadal (11am local/2pm EST on ABC)
2 - Djokovic vs. Federer (follows the 1st semi-final)

The Djokovic-Federer match decides who will be the No. 2 ranked player in the world when the new rankings are released.

Eljay

Neo Member
zero_suit said:
It wouldn't be surprising. The Joker is on fire right now.

Considering he's playing than Federer this year the Nadal/Djokovic matchup would be better anyway. How many more times do we have to see Feds lose to Nadal?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Eljay said:
Considering he's playing than Federer this year the Nadal/Djokovic matchup would be better anyway. How many more times do we have to see Feds lose to Nadal?

Last time they played in a final Federer won. And this is hard court, Fed is ahead 4-3 in their head-to-heads.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MIMIC said:
Indian Wells | Semi-Finals:

1 - del Potro vs. Nadal (11am local/2pm EST on ABC)
2 - Djokovic vs. Federer (follows the 1st semi-final)

The Djokovic-Federer match decides who will be the No. 2 ranked player in the world when the new rankings are released.
So federer is 3 now?

d+pad

First, it was great to see Del Potro doing well again. Looks like he still has to work on his fitness a bit, and become mentally stronger/more confident, but that *should* come with time.

Nadal looked good today, too, although the serve's still off.

Federer looked horrid, IMO. OK, he looked OK in the second, but even then his lead seemed tenuous the entire set. In the third, he utterly collapsed. Sad.

Nole looked OK to me. Hardly invincible. In fact, Fed had him rattled at the end of the second, start of the third.

As such, it'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. I have a feeling Nadal is going to take it in 3, but I could see it ending any which way, to be honest (Nadal in 2, Nole in 2, Nole in 3).

Moving from the men to the ladies: Sharapova was absolutely horrible last night. She's becoming unwatchable.

MIMIC

Banned
Novak is #2 now! (but he's been there before....time to see if he can stay there now).

Djoker clearly has a mental strangle hold on Federer now. Giving the break back with a double fault shows how nervous he gets when he plays him.

MIMIC

Banned
Novak-Djokovic_0.jpg

Nadal def. Djokovic 4-6, 6-3, 6-2

18-0 in 2011, remains undefeated.

-Beats Nadal for the first time in a final (improves to 1-5)
-Beats Federer and Nadal back-to-back in a tournament for the 2nd time; 1st time was Montreal Masters in 2007

Peru

joker was good and some fire tennis in the first set, but the air went out of nadal in the 3rd.. some weak-ass returning there

MIMIC

Banned
Ranking news:

-Djokovic replaces Federer at No. 2, Nadal still No. 1
-Ljubicic drops 22 spots (from No. 16 to No. 38) after failing to defend his Indian Wells title (falling in the 2nd round to del Potro)
-del Potro continues his ranking surge and lands just outside the top 50; he jumps 39 spots all the way to No. 51
-Karlovic jumps 86 spots to No. 153 after reaching the Indian Wells quarter-finals (falling to Nadal). Honestly, I had no idea that he was that far down in the rankings

d+pad

Duki said:
djoko beats nadal with a comeback win

u guys mad djoko's the best in the world atm

yea u mad

I'm certainly not mad that he's playing great tennis ATM. Although he's hardly my favorite male player, I think he's got great skills and I'm glad to see someone other than Nadal and Federer winning everything.

I do think people should wait to see how he does at the French and Wimbledon before they get too excited about his current run, though. He's only been to the SF twice in six French Opens, for instance, and twice in six Wimbledons.

Also, as well as he played in yesterday's final, Nadal's serving was horrific in the second and third sets. Granted, that's partially Nadal's own fault, as he kept going for big serve after big serve, even though he couldn't get one in to save his life. Was that due to the Djoker's returning, or was it due to nerves or something else?

You know who I really want to see play Djoko? That Canadian kid (can't remember his name, sorry). I think both Djoko and Nadal would handle him at this point, but he's clearly going to be a contender this year on the hard courts (and likely at Wimbledon, too).

d+pad said:
I'm certainly not mad that he's playing great tennis ATM. Although he's hardly my favorite male player, I think he's got great skills and I'm glad to see someone other than Nadal and Federer winning everything.

I do think people should wait to see how he does at the French and Wimbledon before they get too excited about his current run, though. He's only been to the SF twice in six French Opens, for instance, and twice in six Wimbledons.

Also, as well as he played in yesterday's final, Nadal's serving was horrific in the second and third sets. Granted, that's partially Nadal's own fault, as he kept going for big serve after big serve, even though he couldn't get one in to save his life. Was that due to the Djoker's returning, or was it due to nerves or something else?

You know who I really want to see play Djoko? That Canadian kid (can't remember his name, sorry). I think both Djoko and Nadal would handle him at this point, but he's clearly going to be a contender this year on the hard courts (and likely at Wimbledon, too).

Raonic.

But Ryan Harrison beat him so I guess thats good to see there's potentially an American hopeful lingering too. I think the ceiling is higher for Raonic though

d+pad

Yes, that's him.

As for Harrison, yes, he seems to be someone to watch, too. And Doglopolov (sp?) and a few others.

It'll be interesting to see which one of these guys can step up and join Nadal, Federer and Djoker at the top of the game.

Top Bottom