• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
Yeah it would be fun to see Raonic and Dolgopolov play Djokovic. But I honestly think Djokovic would destroy both of them.

Anyway, the Miami draw is out and Federer & Nadal are on the same side, which means that they could play each other in the semis. They haven't played each other in a semi-final since they met in the 2007 year-end championship....and outside of that tournament, you'd have to go way back to their 3rd meeting: the 2005 French Open semi.

Murray and Djokovic could meet in the quarters.

Miami Draw (PDF)

modulaire

I'm a bit late but after watching the tournament in the last few days I'm sure Marion Bartoli is the most annoying player to watch EVER.

The constant dry runs, jumping, quirks etc. are just unnerving.

d+pad

Nadal and Fed in the semis could be interesting, although I really don't see Fed beating Nadal at this point. (Well, unless Nadal can't get a first serve into the court again.)

As for a Djokovic/Murray semi -- I'll believe it when I see it. More worrisome for Djokovic, I think, will be having Del Potro in his half -- although I still don't think DelPo is ready for the big boys (yet).

d+pad

Yeah, she's definitely strange. I don't find it annoying, though -- more like embarrassing. I could maybe see her doing it if she were small and wiry like Henin, but, well, she isn't :p

Also, Bartoli's serve has to be the weirdest in the game.

Peru

It's seriously physically hard for me to watch her serve.. doesn't help that she's a whiny dirty player of course.

d+pad

I thought she said she was suffering from food poisoning?

Anyway, hopefully Miami will be more interesting than IW on the women's side. Would be nice to see Stosur get her head back on straight, for instance, or maybe see some life from Schiavone or Kuznetsova...

MIMIC

Banned
I like Bartoli. But she needs to lose some weight or get more fit. Her groundstrokes are deadly but her movement is pretty bad.

And her serve.....I like the weirdness =p

d+pad

MIMIC said:
I like Bartoli. But she needs to lose some weight or get more fit. Her groundstrokes are deadly but her movement is pretty bad.

And her serve.....I like the weirdness =p

Yes, she definitely needs to drop some weight if she wants to become a serious and regular contender.

As for her serve: I can't say I like it, but I am pretty shocked at how well it works for her.

Pretty eventful afternoon in Miami. Murray and Verdasco go down, Wawrinka gets bagelled in the first set. Is this Upset Day? Who else is vulnerable?

MIMIC

Banned
Murray
fv8o5l.gif
fv8o5l.gif

Can't believe that there's no TV coverage until tomorrow.

Oh my god how did he lose to Bolgmolov Jr. He is terrible, this guy has been straddling futures and challengers, qualifiers for the past seven years. Pathetic.

Feel bad for Donald Young, he thought he slayed a giant last week....

Peru

Video streaming tomorrow right?

How disgusting is it that we get the two biggest Slam events and they don't start broadcasting until the first week is nearly done?

d+pad

What a day in Miami! Murray, Verdasco, Wawrinka and Raonic all go down, and Soderling nearly joins them.

Will Zvonareva (on the women's side) join them shortly? Could be!

Back to the men: What on earth is up with Murray? He really needs to see a sports shrink, I think. Or take a nice break.

Oh, and with all of those losses, Novak's side of the draw *really* opened up. Hopefully Del Potro can make it through to the semis...

MIMIC

Banned
Andy has lost 4 matches in a row: Djokovic at the Australian Open, Baghdatis in Rotterdam, Young at Indian Wells and Bogomolov in Miami. This slump is slightly worse than the one he experienced last year. But what do I care, I hate him and his style of tennis.

Meanwhile, Djoker continues his devastating form with a 6-0, 6-1 annihilation of Istomin. Next up on the chopping block: James Blake.

Federer and Nadal play tomorrow.

Peru

Hell yeah, Petkorazzi, finally a cool closing out. And the dance got the crowds moving + twitter trending. Her and Ana's double antics have been this tournament's highlight so far, though.

Jay Sosa

Peru said:
Hell yeah, Petkorazzi, finally a cool closing out. And the dance got the crowds moving + twitter trending. Her and Ana's double antics have been this tournament's highlight so far, though.

?

Peru

They've generally been having a laugh while also winning some matches.. and then Petko got Ana to dance as well.

During the changeover after this point, Ana went to wallet and gave Petko some cash. Want to know why? Well, this is what Petko told me afterwards:

"She actually gave me $10 but I had to give her change. So [the rules are] if you serve an ace on an important point, $5. If you serve a service winner on an important point, $2, return winner, $2. And this, where she gave me $2, was she said "OK, I'm going to serve a first serve and if you cross and put the volley away I'll give you $2." And she just had $10 so she gave it to me and I said I would give her the change later. Then, after that amazing most epic point ever, she said "OK. You can keep the change." We said that probably we would be the #1 and #2 in the world if the prize money was visible on the net post. So that's our way of motivating.

[...]

Convincing was hard work because last week in Indian Wells, I think, in the tiebreaker, I felt like she hit one or two double faults and didn't hit the returns quite as she's used to. Because I told her before the breaker, I thought it would be motivation but obviously it was some kind of scaring her. I told her "Ana we do the Petko dance if we win!" and I thought like, she's gonna go like "Yeah! Now I'm going to run even more!" but she went, like "Yeah. I'm going to serve two doubles and not put the return in." So I think she was scared back then. But now we practiced and now she's more comfortable. But she said before the match points she said she was getting so nervous because now we were winning it and she would have to do the Petko dance."

Source: Forty Deuce

Jay Sosa

Oh you meant antics in a positive way, thanks for the article, that sounds awesome.

EDIT And thanks for the site, been looking for a good one for quite some time.

d+pad

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't show Ana vs. Kim. Ana blew a ton of match points, starting at 5-1, 0-40 on Kim's serve. Ugh.

Other than that, Nadal is handling Doglopolov pretty well at the moment. Thought the youngster would give him more of a fight (although he still might do that, of course).

Peru

I swear actual tears would've escaped my eyes if Maria wasted that 5-0 lead in the last set. Luckily she got herself the fuck together and it's 3-6 6-0 6-2 and I had five to ten minutes of solid, pure happiness after her victory scream. May lose the final, but damnit, she's back in the top 10. The two last sets were very solid.

d+pad

I'm happy for Maria, too, which is funny because I've never really liked her. I hate to see players who used to be good struggle, though -- well, with the exception of Jankovic, for some reason -- plus I like Maria's steely determination. Anyway, it would be nice to see her get her head back on straight.

On to Nadal vs. Berdych, which I'm guessing should be entertaining -- assuming Berdych can keep his head on straight...

MIMIC

Banned
Djoker orders some fishsticks, beats Mardy 6-3. 6-1

Federer-Nadal semi-final tonight at 7pm on ESPN 2. Which one will fight harder....to be the runner-up? :)

d+pad

Huh. I'm kind of shocked there was so little discussion of the Nadal-Federer match in this thread. Is everyone shocked? Stunned?

It certainly was a stunning match, both because Nadal played so well and because Fed played so poorly. It'll be interesting to see how Federer responds to this and to his recent losses to Djoker, IMO -- esp. since things aren't going to get much easier for him during the clay-court swing.

Anyway, I'll be rooting for Nadal in the final. I like the Djoker, but I'm getting really tired of all the tennis pundits stroking themselves whenever he plays. Plus, it'll make things esp. interesting when the clay-court swing starts -- "who's going to win more clay-court titles, etc?"

Conceptor

I think I'd be in the boat that wasn't entirely surprised with how well Nadal played, but more so at how Fed performed.. An hour and a bit to finish the match isn't something I've ever seen attached to a Fed loss lol.

yanhero

Whats the score right now? For some reason I'm unable to find such simple information from Google...it's infuriating. Nvm, found it on ESPN.

Top Bottom