• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Splatt

Yes! Djokovic for the win! Great final. I enjoyed all of it. Congrats to Nadal too, both he and Djokovic were awesome today.

MIMIC

Banned
SEASON SWEEP!!

24-0 | 4 consecutive titles | wins over Federer (3x) and Nadal (2x)

But that was a fantastic final. Congrats to both guys.

MIMIC said:
SEASON SWEEP!!

24-0 | 4 consecutive titles | wins over Federer (3x) and Nadal (2x)

But that was a fantastic final. Congrats to both guys.

Djokovic wont lose till the French open. book it.

unless he enters in a clay tournament with Nadal in the draw

d+pad

Wow, what a match! It was tight throughout, and I'm not just talking about the score, but still great overall.

Although I was pulling for Nadal, I thought Djokovic played the better tennis from 2-5 in the first set. Even then, though, he just barely scraped out the win.

The clay-court swing certainly will be interesting. Obviously Nadal is the favorite to win against anyone on the surface, but Djokovic is hardly a slouch on the stuff, so I'm not expecting him to arrive at the French Open with a four-match losing streak or anything :)

MIMIC

Banned
Interesting factoid: Djokovic is the only tennis player that has beaten Nadal at least 9 times.

Federer comes in 2nd with 8.

Djokovic pulls out of Monte Carlo with a knee injury, how sad. Looks like he plans to play in the Serbia Open (ATP 250) later this month, so hopefully he'll have recovered well for Madrid!

Seventh consecutive Monte Carlo title for Nadal inc!

MIMIC

Banned
It sucks, but it's understandable. He's had that thing on his knee since the Australian Open final IIRC.

I think he's playing Rome so it looks like that'll be our first look at a Nadal-Djokovic clay meeting.

Can't believe Sweeting won Houston, I know it is barely a step above a challenger but this guy has the ugliest game and the worst form of anyone in the top 200.

hsin

Banned
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Can't believe Sweeting won Houston, I know it is barely a step above a challenger but this guy has the ugliest game and the worst form of anyone in the top 200.
LMAO did he?? Jesus christ, I would have bet against him all the way.

modulaire

Anyone watching the Gilles Simon/Andy Murray match?

Simon is injured (ankle), and Murray is hitting shots directly behind the net, making Simon run all they way to the net.

The crowd is booing....

MIMIC

Banned
Melzer def. Federer 6-4, 6-4

Didn't see that coming @_@ (and didn't see the match either, lol. I'll watch the replay later tonight sometime on the Tennis Channel)

And Nadal continues to slaughter opponents left and right. Next up for him: Murray

d+pad

The only way Murray can surprise me in his SF against Nadal would be to not get slaughtered (which is what I'm fully expecting to happen). Hopefully he won't take it too badly...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MIMIC said:
Melzer def. Federer 6-4, 6-4

Didn't see that coming @_@ (and didn't see the match either, lol. I'll watch the replay later tonight sometime on the Tennis Channel)
Federer seemed really lazy on the returns and even most rallies after his own serve. I wonder if he doesn't want to or just can't anymore.

Jay Sosa

Teetris said:
Federer seemed really lazy on the returns and even most rallies after his own serve. I wonder if he doesn't want to or just can't anymore.
yeah im probably the biggest melzer fan on this board but federer played pretty awful. melzer hit some nice winners and served pretty good but either federer was fed up (wuhaha) with the wind or he was not feeling well overall it was a very poor performance.

modulaire said:
Anyone watching the Gilles Simon/Andy Murray match?

Simon is injured (ankle), and Murray is hitting shots directly behind the net, making Simon run all they way to the net.

The crowd is booing....
Not watching the match, but fuck the crowd. A player is either well enough to play or he's not.

d+pad

Ha! Well, will you look at that! Murray *did* surprise me. He played pretty darn well for two sets, too. Granted, Nadal was *terrible* in the second, but he pulled it together in the third. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow in the final. Nadal has to be the favorite, but Ferrer's certainly no pushover.

88random

Murray was great. Shame for him. Tomorow it. Nadal will surely win it tomorow, he is just to good for Ferrer. Amazing feat, 7 tittles in a row.

d+pad

Well, Nadal pulled out the win. He hardly looked all that impressive this week, though -- save for the Ljubicic match, maybe. Hopefully the win will help him get his head back on straight.

MIMIC

Banned
Murray played surprisingly well given the surface. The scoreline was almost identical to the Nadal-Djokovic 2009 Monte Carlo final, in which Nadal won 6-3, 2-6, 6-1. lol

hsin

Banned
Fed-Lopez match felt like a GS final, damn. I'm glad Fed actually grinded it out and actually came from behind to win. His stats weren't even horrible; he just choked on BPs and MPs.

What I'm really interested in is this Nadal-Delpo match.

clemenx

Banned
4-0 in no time in the 1st set, Nadal looks helpless. I had hopes for Nole but didn't expect a pounding like this, still the 1st set but dayum!

Nadal gets a break back as I post this, lol!

5-3 30-0 for Nole and he kills his own momentum with a big miss, BP now for Nadal, geez.

clemenx

Banned
Djokovic is dominating but can't sleep on Nadal if he manages to break once he can take this. Still, Djokovic has looked so much better the whole game.

clemenx

Banned
Kinda want Djoker to break here. Game hasn't been that entertaining, I think. This 2nd set is just Nadal surviving, after the initial breaks.

clemenx

Banned
Djokovic has slayed the clay god.

I'm a believer. I had faith in Nole but didn't expect a beatdown like this, in a million years.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Djokovics backhand is just beast tier. Unbelievable. Gotta say I didn't expect him to win this but service and returns is what made his advantage over Nadal

FO should be very interesting this year

hsin

Banned
Yeah, Djokovic in god mode confirmed. If he pulls out a win in Rome, he'll be inside Nadal's head and, assuming his makes it to RG finals, could pull one out. Heck, barring injuries, I wouldn't put it past him to win a calendar slam at this rate.

Peru

Mimic is banned? Who's doing the French Open thread this year? Any volunteers? I think I was banned last time actually, one of the slams last year anyway.

clemenx

Banned
Murray is being agressive. Is this real life?

Oh, and it seems like the streak is ending. :(

Got his shit together and got his break back!

Top Bottom