• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Peru

cackhyena said:
When does the French Open start?

Q next week, for real Sunday 22nd.

Djokovic has decided t o play rather badly this match? Solid enough from Murray, but something bugging the D joker. Had to happen sometime, I guess.

I can not describe my unbounded ecstasy earlier today as Maria spanked Caro the destructive pusher in straight sets. If she can stay that solid tomorrow vs Sam then my hopes coming in to Roland Garros will be too high, and set up for disappointment as usual.

Djokovic beats Murray in the tiebreak 7-2! the streak is still alive! What an epic fail by Murray dropping his serve that would have won him the match. lol

Peru

this-is-my-home-gif.gif

Such a fucking rush. I'm so happy, so happy. Slams, whatever, this is a tier 1 tournament and I never thought it'd happen six months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvXFP-ba7T0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvXFP-ba7T0

rando14

Djokovic just broke Nadal again.

Ho boy, if Djokovic wins Rome... well let's just say, this upcoming French Open is going to be incredible.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Shit, I wonder how Nadal is doing mentally. Also that fall was pretty nasty, looked like he rolled his ankle, but he's moving fine now

d+pad

Wow. Not only is Novak heads and shoulders above the rest of the tour at this point, he is most definitely planted firmly in Nadal's head. Never thought I'd see the day where *that* happened!

Anyway, Novak's clearly the favorite for the French, despite the fact that he's never made the final before. It'll be interesting to see if both his mind and body hold up through two weeks of five set matches.

I won't be surprised if he pulls it off, honestly, although I won't exactly be surprised if someone takes him out either. The one given about streaks like this is that they have to end eventually...

d+pad

One more thing: Although I've never been much of a Sharapova fan, I think it's kind of cool that she won this tournament. Does this mean she's back and will contend at Wimbledon and the US Open? Will be interesting to see...

d+pad said:
Wow. Not only is Novak heads and shoulders above the rest of the tour at this point, he is most definitely planted firmly in Nadal's head. Never thought I'd see the day where *that* happened!
It's crazy because that's exactly the edge Nadal always had over Federer. It was that head game. It's interesting to see Nadal get that same medicine he has dished out over the years.

I am more and more convinced he is going to be the new dominant figure in tennis as he destroyed all my skepticism over the past couple of months: When Nole won in Indian Wells it was supposedly Nadal's poor first serve percentage that aided his victory, then when Nole repeated the same thing in Miami, it was the luck of the tie break, I thought...oh and it was hardcourt anyway, let's see how he does on clay! Fastforward to Madrid and he does it in straight sets. Oh but that is hardly Nadal's favourite CLAY surface. Had to do with the high altitude and speed, and of course even Federer beat him there, so what? Rome would be a much better indication since that's a slow claycourt much like RG where Nadal has been near flawless.

Straight sets victory for Nole, again. *gasp* I didn't even think he would have enough gas in the tank after that three hour epic against Murray. Amazing.

Peru

d+pad said:
One more thing: Although I've never been much of a Sharapova fan, I think it's kind of cool that she won this tournament. Does this mean she's back and will contend at Wimbledon and the US Open? Will be interesting to see...

It's the first time in a long while she's been this consistent throughout a tournament, including taking out the #1 in straight sets and not choking the final.

Nevermind US Open and Wimbledon, though, it's all about the French Open now. And I just don't see clay as her weakest surface anymore. Ultimately Azarenka and Clijsters will be the favorites, but IF everything works out... well, she has a shot at a career Grand Slam. But we don't really know, I just take this tournament victory as it is and won't set myself up for disappointment demanding more.

Peru said:
It's the first time in a long while Sharapova's been this consistent throughout a tournament, including taking out the #1 in straight sets and not choking the final.

Nevermind, US Open and Wimbledon, though, it's all about the French Open now. And I just don't see clay as her weakest surface anymore. Ultimately Azarenka and Clijsters will be the favorites, but IF everything works out... well, she has a shot at a career Grand Slam.
I don't even think Clijsters will make the French. Her injury during a cousin's wedding? She is likely joining the sisters on a break.

Anyway this is Sharapova's best bet for the career slam. The French open though, is very notorious for having oddball winners come from apparently nowhere to win it (Iva Majoli in 97, Myskina in 2004, Schiavone last year) or go very far. But it would be nice to see her go all the way.

d+pad

Magicpaint said:
I am more and more convinced he is going to be the new dominant figure in tennis as he destroyed all my skepticism over the past couple of months.

Well, clearly he is going to be the dominant player of this year. Beyond that? I guess we'll see. I don't say that because I'm a Nadal or Fed fan or whatever -- I'm saying it because these kinds of things can change like the flip of a switch.

Consider when Graf was destroying everybody in 88 and 89. She gets to the FO final in 90 by barely losing a match all year and then gets walloped by Seles. What happens the rest of the year? She struggles, and doesn't win another GS title until Wimbledon 91. Who could have seen that fall coming?

Also, consider Nadal and Federer in the last few years. Fed won everything until last year's French, and then he was out of contention until last fall, when suddenly he was back in contention again. And now? No one even talks about him. Same w/ Nadal, really. He won the last three GS of last year. This year? Everything thinks Novak will win a calendar-year GS now.

Personally, I think it all comes down to the FO (and Wimbledon, too) for Novak. If he wins the French, who knows what could happen for him? If he loses, though, it could literally be a game-changer for him and everybody else. Would it hit him hard? Would he go into Wimbledon, where he's never made the final, with doubts?

It's going to be a very interesting FO, regardless!

d+pad

Peru said:
It's the first time in a long while she's been this consistent throughout a tournament, including taking out the #1 in straight sets and not choking the final.

Nevermind US Open and Wimbledon, though, it's all about the French Open now. And I just don't see clay as her weakest surface anymore. Ultimately Azarenka and Clijsters will be the favorites, but IF everything works out... well, she has a shot at a career Grand Slam. But we don't really know, I just take this tournament victory as it is and won't set myself up for disappointment demanding more.

Yes, you're right -- this is the first time since she came back from shoulder surgery that she has been consistent through an entire tournament, IMO. That's a really big deal, esp. mentally.

I still think clay is her weakest surface, but that doesn't necessarily mean much in the current environment. Whether she is able to make a move and even win the FO, though, I think will come down in large part to her draw. If she faces a strong and consistent clay-courter, she could face some real problems.

That said, she has to be considered one of the favorites at this point.

Top Bottom