• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

d+pad

Magicpaint said:
I don't even think Clijsters will make the French. Her injury during a cousin's wedding? She is likely joining the sisters on a break.

Anyway this is Sharapova's best bet for the career slam. The French open though, is very notorious for having oddball winners come from apparently nowhere to win it (Iva Majoli in 97, Myskina in 2004, Schiavone last year) or go very far. But it would be nice to see her go all the way.

Yeah, personally I'm doubtful Clijsters will play the French. Even if she does, clay is her weakest surface, too, and I just don't see her winning it. I don't see Wozniacki winning it either, which leaves players like Azarenka (although not IMO), Sharapova and a few others as the main contenders.

Peru

Just this Friday Kim's team said they expected her to play the French, so I'm pretty sure she's in. Not sure how her clay game is now, though.

d+pad

I guess we'll see RE: Kim. I'm always skeptical of people who haven't played in a while saying they're going to return to the tour at a Slam. That's a tall order for anyone, and it would be esp. so for someone like Clijsters, who is far from a lover of clay courts. That said, she may play simply because she may know that she won't be playing this time next year, so why not give it one more shot?

Regardless, I just can't see her winning it. I also just can't see The Woz making it, esp. thanks to her recent losses. At this point, I'm more inclined to believe someone is going to surprise us, like Schiavone did last year. That could be Sharapova, or it could be someone usually completely out of the conversation, like a Georges or someone like that.

anybody know what channel the French open is gonna be on this year in america? I'm looking through the TV schedule and i don't see it on any channel, not espn,nbc, or tennis channel.

Peru

Some contrast to the Woz, friend with everyone on the tour

Sharapova, who took a long period off the circuit following surgery two years ago, said she kept to herself on the circuit.

"It is tough to have really good friends on the tour," she said. "I find it difficult to be having dinner with someone one night and then having to play them two days later because it is at the end of the day an individual sport and we are all very competitive.

"It's typical in sport to try to beat each other. You know we are not on a team and as far as really close friends goes I have my family who come with me on the road.

"I don't hang around in the locker room - it's my least favourite place in the world.

Manics

Banned
Incredibly, Djokovic can take over #1 ranking in the world just by making the Roland Garros final. (I'm already assuming Nadal makes the final). What a run he's had.

d+pad

Manics said:
Incredibly, Djokovic can take over #1 ranking in the world just by making the Roland Garros final. (I'm already assuming Nadal makes the final). What a run he's had.

I'm not sure I understand why that's incredible -- he's won every single match he's played all year! In most minds, he's been #1 for at least a few weeks now, if not longer.

Anyway, he'll more than likely take over the #1 spot sooner rather than later even if he somehow shockingly does not make the final at RG, esp. if Nadal fails to win either RG or Wimbledon.

One thing that is interesting to think about: Novak is going to have a tough start to 2012. Think of all the points he's going to have to defend!

d+pad

Peru said:
Some contrast to the Woz, friend with everyone on the tour

Someone like the Woz is an anomaly, though, esp. on the women's tour. Most of the big female players in history have been a bit cold with their competitors: Evert, Graf, Sabatini, Sanchez, the Williams sisters, etc.

I know Evert and Navratilova were friendly, but was Navratilova buds w/ other competitors? I don't know. Also, I *think* Seles was friendly with some of the other ladies, but I'm not sure about that either.

I can understand why it would be tough, though -- at the highest levels of the game you *have* to have a sort of killer instinct. If everyone in the locker room is your friend, that *could* be diminished a bit.

d+pad

Just remembered another contender for the FO crown: Petra Kvitova! Definitely could see her winning it all if she can keep her head and game in check.

Anyway, who are all of you picking to win the women's and men's crowns in Paris?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
d+pad said:
Just remembered another contender for the FO crown: Petra Kvitova! Definitely could see her winning it all if she can keep her head and game in check.

Anyway, who are all of you picking to win the women's and men's crowns in Paris?
Djokovic and Clijsters would get my money

Matter fact, I think I'll put in some this year

d+pad

Teetris said:
Djokovic and Clijsters would get my money

Matter fact, I think I'll put in some this year

Clijsters, huh? Interesting! She isn't my pick for the women, but she's certainly shown she's capable of winning Slams with little preparation, so it wouldn't surprise me.

As for Novak: Yeah, he *has* to be the go-to pick until proven otherwise, IMO.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
d+pad said:
Clijsters, huh? Interesting! She isn't my pick for the women, but she's certainly shown she's capable of winning Slams with little preparation, so it wouldn't surprise me.

As for Novak: Yeah, he *has* to be the go-to pick until proven otherwise, IMO.
Even tho Djokovic won the AO, I dunno if he still can do 5 setters as dominant as master tournaments. If you actually want to play it safe the money should be put on Rafael imo. Murray and Gasquet might get far as well

But Clijsters isn't that sure ofc. She just as well might go out before the sf

d+pad

Oh, I'm with you RE: Novak. Of course, I thought he would lose in Miami or Madrid or Rome, too, so clearly I'm not able to tell when he can and can't win :p

Seeing him at the tail end of that match against Murray in Rome makes me think he's starting to wear out a bit, either mentally or physically or both. A week off should help with the former, but not with the latter -- esp. since he is now, in most minds, the favorite (or, at worst, co-favorite) to win the French.

As such, it'll be interesting to see how he handles that sort of pressure. Everyone, including himself, apparently, expects him to win every match he plays now. That's a different sort of stress than he felt earlier in the year, when every win surprised people.

As for Clijsters -- yes, she's someone I could see going out in the first round or taking the whole thing. She's a wild card, no doubt.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just book plane tickets to NYC for the US Open. Anyone else plan on going?

Any advice? Going to try to catch some first and second round matches.

hsin

Banned
CrankyJay said:

How much were tickets? Did you get good sections? I've been wanting to attend sometime... I'd love to see a finals match but I can imagine tickets being outrageous.

CrankyJay

Banned
hsin said:
How much were tickets? Did you get good sections? I've been wanting to attend sometime... I'd love to see a finals match but I can imagine tickets being outrageous.

I booked plane tickets. Still need to buy US Open tickets. =)

Jay Sosa

CrankyJay said:

my advice: a groundticket is more than enough during the first week, the smaller courts are way more fun than the big ones..and take a printed out oop with you they charged 2€ for that in rg.

hsin

Banned
CrankyJay said:
I booked plane tickets. Still need to buy US Open tickets. =)
I hear just being in the atmosphere is amazing enough. I think if I were to go, this might be one of the best years for me to do it. But still...

Orgun

I won tickets to the Wimbledon Mens Semi Finals through my gym, they were supposed to have turned up by now! Freaking out has begun.

MIMIC

Banned
haha.

I wish these weren't on at the same time right now. I am literally watching 4 tournaments/screens at once: 2 video game and these two.

MIMIC

Banned
Couple of upsets in Montreal

Anderson def. Murray (2-time defending champion)
Dodig def. Nadal

Djokovic has seemingly destroyed Nadal mentally. Yes this is a hard court tournament, but Nadal won the 1st set 6-1 and SERVED for the match in the 3rd. Much like Federer, that aura of invincibility is starting fade and even the lower-ranked players sense it.

MIMIC said:
Couple of upsets in Montreal

Anderson def. Murray (2-time defending champion)
Dodig def. Nadal

Djokovic has seemingly destroyed Nadal mentally. Yes this is a hard court tournament, but Nadal won the 1st set 6-1 and SERVED for the match in the 3rd. Much like Federer, that aura of invincibility is starting fade and even the lower-ranked players sense it.
That's my boy, I'm happy he's finally hitting his stride

MIMIC

Banned
Forgot about the other upset: Cilic def. del Potro.

Also, Tsonga and Fed are playing right now (only on streams and ESPN3.com). They're in a 1st set tiebreak and Tsonga is up a double mini-break with 3 set points

Top Bottom