• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

d+pad

Man, the Roger's Cup has been a blood bath for anyone not named Djokovic. Nadal, Federer, Murray ... OUT! Wozniacki and Clisters out the other day on the women's side, today: Zvonareva, Li, Sharapova, Kvitova, Schiavone and Ivanovic (OK, not a stretch there) all OUT ... and Serena nearly joined them.

BTW, speaking of Serena: Zheng played her beautifully. Too bad she couldn't pull off the win. I'm not sure I've ever seen a player jump on Serena's second serve like Zheng did in the second set (the only one I saw). At times, she hit her return a good 4-5 feet inside the baseline!

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens at the US Open. Is it going to be a free-for-all (well, on the men's side, that would mean a free-for-all for the chance to play Djokovic) or will order be returned? I'd guess on the latter, but who knows?

d+pad said:
Man, the Roger's Cup has been a blood bath for anyone not named Djokovic. Nadal, Federer, Murray ... OUT! Wozniacki and Clisters out the other day on the women's side, today: Zvonareva, Li, Sharapova, Kvitova, Schiavone and Ivanovic (OK, not a stretch there) all OUT ... and Serena nearly joined them.

BTW, speaking of Serena: Zheng played her beautifully. Too bad she couldn't pull off the win. I'm not sure I've ever seen a player jump on Serena's second serve like Zheng did in the second set (the only one I saw). At times, she hit her return a good 4-5 feet inside the baseline!

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens at the US Open. Is it going to be a free-for-all (well, on the men's side, that would mean a free-for-all for the chance to play Djokovic) or will order be returned? I'd guess on the latter, but who knows?

As long as Djokovic stays gluten free, the new order will be Djokovic winning slam after slam after slam

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. Tsonga gets the best of Fed AGAIN. And even feeds him a breadstick in the process. This truly IS the year of the Djoker (if he stays on course and wins the title, of course).

This fool is 50-1. FIFTY AND ONE. I hope he keeps it up and at least wins the Open. Shoulda won back in '07 with all those set points =p

d+pad

perfectchaos007 said:
As long as Djokovic stays gluten free, the new order will be Djokovic winning slam after slam after slam

We'll see. Clearly he's going to win some of them. All hot streaks have to end at some time, though -- as even Federer and Nadal know. Also, next year is going to be rough for Djokovic, since he's going to have a shit ton of points to defend.

Regardless, I think this is going to be an interesting US Open, esp. on the men's side. Will anyone challenge him, or will he blow through the draw?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MIMIC said:
This fool is 50-1. FIFTY AND ONE. I hope he keeps it up and at least wins the Open. Shoulda won back in '07 with all those set points =p
Told y'all mofos. Dude's going to stay undefeated rest of year

d+pad

Diprosalic said:
people always say that and it makes no sense.

How does it not make sense? Of course it does. It doesn't mean he's going to drop like a rock, of course, but it is more than a bit of a double-edged sword.

The reality is that he won't be able to keep this form up forever. He may keep it up for a year or two (three seems just about impossible), but at some point he'll either come down to earth or someone else will rise to and surpass his level. It's what always happens -- such as when Nadal rose to and surpassed Fed's level, Graf rose to and surpassed Navratilova's level, etc.

Admittedly, I said it now because I'm hoping it'll happen sooner rather than later, but the truth is it *will* happen.

d+pad

clemenx said:
If only Monfils could keep his pace during a whole match.

Really, people need to stop investing any hope into Monfils. He's never going to be anything more than he is right now ... which is a huge disappointment.

MIMIC

Banned
Djoker playing Tsonga right now (playing for a spot opposite Fish in the final)

Very HQ match so far. Both on serve, 3-2*

unomas

Banned
Interesting match so far with Tsonga playing lights out and Djoker defending really well. Mardy has his hands full tomorrow, but he's also playing extremely well so hopefully he can at least make it competitive.

MIMIC

Banned
Djoker's returns are just SICK. What would have been an ace against most guys, Djoker converted it into a point that wins him the set.

MIMIC said:
This is the real final, IMO. Either guy would beat Fish.

This is Fish's 3rd final in his last 3 tournaments. give the guy some credit. Gulbis just came out of nowhere in the last tournament. Gulbis does that sometimes

d+pad said:
How does it not make sense? Of course it does. It doesn't mean he's going to drop like a rock, of course, but it is more than a bit of a double-edged sword.

yeah, but why will next year be hard for djokovic? or any harder than it is right now? he doesn't get minus points if he doesn't get all the points he got this year. it doesn't matter as long as he is the best player in the last 12 month he will stay no. 1.

MIMIC

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
This is Fish's 3rd final in his last 3 tournaments. give the guy some credit. Gulbis just came out of nowhere in the last tournament. Gulbis does that sometimes

Oh, I definitely think he deserves credit. I like the guy. I'd put him ahead of most guys on tour but Tsonga's form has been very dangerous these days (albeit streaky).

cory021

Neo Member
Cool, a tennis thread :p

I started playing tennis for the first time this year, which was also my last year of high school. I encouraged a few of my friends to go out as well, and we all loved it.

Even though the season is done, we still get together some times and play a few games. I even got some other friends who didn't play tennis to try a few games, and one of them ended up being better than me :p

MIMIC

Banned
clemenx said:
He's obscene, has he had a bad day this year? He didn't even looked bad when he lost.

I honestly think that that random walkover threw off his rhythm. And it didn't help that he had to play a former champion (and 3-time runner-up at the time) in the very next round either.

i really thought he would slow down after losing at RG but boy i was wrong, somehow i still don't see him winning USO for no particular reason, just a gut feeling.

MIMIC

Banned
Last meeting between the two (Miami earlier this year), Djoker won 6-3, 6-1. Fish is one of my favorite players to watch but tomorrow's match is just a formality :)

Records Djoker is going for tomorrow:
-1st man since Pete Sampras to win his maiden tournament as the No. 1 player
-1st man to win 5 Masters in a single season ever (both Nadal & Fed have won 4 in a single season)

By the numbers for Djoker (from ESPN)

2011 Record: 52-1
Titles: 8
Finals reached: 9
Sets won: 120
Sets lost: 17
6-0 sets: 9
Top 10 wins: 15

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
zero_suit said:
Maybe, but what if he doesn't?
I'll eat those words!

cory021 said:
Even though the season is done, we still get together some times and play a few games. I even got some other friends who didn't play tennis to try a few games, and one of them ended up being better than me :p
That's exactly how it was with me and a friend the first time we started playing. I had to train hardcore for six months before I could beat him, and even then it was only in tie-breaks! Now I kill him 6-1 however :)

Edit, Williams vs Stosur final is pretty sweet. Best WTA match I've seen in a while

d+pad

perfectchaos007 said:
Serena is back to her dominating form. She'll dominate the game until she's injured again

Or until she gets bored :p

Anyway, although the match began with promise, the pressure eventually got to Stosur -- as it always does. Oh, well.

unomas

Banned
Serena plays smarter and better defense than any of her peers, and she has the serve to keep her above everyone else.

Edit:

Fish starting off with an ace and a big forehand, this is a different Mardy Fish. His anticipation and movement looks better, and his serve is stellar as always. I've got a couple of students of mine going to Cincy next week and my brother will be there as well, should be another good week of tennis.

hsin

Banned
MIMIC said:
Federer-del Potro playing now.

Their first encounter since the 2009 World Tour Finals.

Decent match for Federer, not so much for Delpo. Good to see Fed's serve is working well but I'm still not convinced about the consistency and pace of his groundstrokes. He doesn't seem to have those LASER fast and accurate shots anymore, the same shots that Djoko and Tsonga are hitting with ease now.

But more so, I really hope he tries to improve his return of serve. His returns against Delpo were nice and deep but Delpo's serves weren't nearly as deadly as they were circa 2009. Fed needs to be able to return well against more dangerous serves, which he hasn't been doing as well.

Anyway, Djoko will probably win.

clemenx

Banned
How many more losses in a row for Wozniacki until we don't have to hear about her again? What a joke she is, even Safina was more deserving of #1.

Nadal and Verdasco playing an awful match right now.

d+pad

Yikes. Nadal looks like crap right now and Verdasco is as annoying/nuts as ever.

Hope it's over soon so I can watch two more headcases: Kuznetsova and Sharapova :)

clemenx

Banned
Oh hey, here goes Verdasco choking the tiebreak again. Honestly want Nadal to win now because this has been probably one of the worst games of the year.

clemenx

Banned
These 2 players are terrible. That DF was so predictable.

Fish will thrash Nadal, hopefully. Hell, even Gasquet would. Verdasco is an embarrassment.

hsin

Banned
Jesus, Nadal-Verdasco was brutal to watch. Verdasco is such a choke.

Meanwhile, this Federer-Blake match is going according to script. Blake giving Fed some help with a few double faults and errors. Rallies are lightning fast.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Every time I tune in I see some court level camera action going on, are they using it that often in this tournament?

hsin

Banned
Teetris said:
Every time I tune in I see some court level camera action going on, are they using it that often in this tournament?

I can only watch from streams but it seems like the camera angle is pretty flat. Almost court level but not entirely. Not really my favorite.

hsin said:
I can only watch from streams but it seems like the camera angle is pretty flat. Almost court level but not entirely. Not really my favorite.
The camera work angles are the same for every station and stream.

Top Bottom