• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

d+pad

Well, that's clearly not going to happen now (Nadal in straights), but I guess he could win it in three ... if he starts hitting a winner or two (he's literally had one winner so far and they're at 3-6, 1-1).

Really, though, I think this is Fish's match. He's playing much, much cleaner tennis at the moment.

Speaking of clean tennis, Sharapova looked super clean again today against Stosur. Her tourney to lose?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nadal out? Wish I saw that match, now it seems Federer's not going to get it easy either. Berdych has a sweet backhand return against him

hsin said:
I can only watch from streams but it seems like the camera angle is pretty flat. Almost court level but not entirely. Not really my favorite.
Ah yeah, you're right. It's a lot higher than for example this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp0cc-leZg8

It seems to be permanent I guess (also watching from streams). It's nice to watch for some points but a little nauseating for other points

chessnut

hsin said:
Wow Berdych is handing it to Fed. Didn't see the first set but man...

Yeah I know. Every time Fed makes a mistake, the audience gasps...I've never seen a crowd feel for a player like that before.

hsin

Banned
b.mak said:
Yeah I know. Every time Fed makes a mistake, the audience gasps...I've never seen a crowd feel for a player like that before.

I can imagine that could throw players off their game to have the crowd ACCENT the mistake with a unified gasp.

Federer finally winning that long ass game thanks to his serve. Berdych's backhand DTL is a brutal weapon.

holy smokes, seeing nadal and federer getting destroyed is so strange. i defended federer trough all his lows but now even i think he's done. QF at USO for him

MIMIC

Banned
Boo. I wanted a rematch between Djokovic and Federer.

Djokovic zoning in on an unprecedented 6th (consecutive) Masters shield for a single season. Djokovic already about to break his own record ^_^

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
b.mak said:
I just opened espn3 and holy shit, joker's down a set. What's the deal?
Monfils probably still mad about montreal

edit, holy shit. Anyone see how Monfils has crazy eyes now? :lol

chessnut

Monfils is hitting some amazing volleys tonight. This is going to 3 for sure, I don't know who'll win though. If Djokovic doesn't win cincy then I hope Fish does, he deserves it.

MIMIC

Banned
Bizarre match is bizarre.

Monfils trying to hammer ANOTHER 2nd serve and gets ANOTHER DF (on a break point no less)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MIMIC said:
Bizarre match is bizarre.

Monfils trying to hammer ANOTHER 2nd serve and gets ANOTHER DF (on a break point no less)
He was too tired to get into another rally, he knew he'd lose it otherwise anyway

chessnut

MIMIC said:
lol so who's gonna win this match? Complete toss-up, atm.

But I'd wager Novak; slight edge, imo

Yeah, he does have the momentum. Either way, its a good match. Unlike the past 2 choke jobs by Nadal and Fed's error-filled one earlier today.

MIMIC

Banned
b.mak said:
Yeah, he does have the momentum. Either way, its a good match. Unlike the past 2 choke jobs by Nadal and Fed's error-filled one earlier today.

I'm most impressed with Monfil's skills at the net. I have NEVER seen him so successful. Some brilliant stuff. But it's not enough to combat Mr. Djokovic it seems.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Djokovic's pretty much ascended to Federer GOAT levels. He can preserve his stamina as best as possible while still playing tight plus make the opponent as tired as possible by luring them into rallies and then outplay them (you can see how often djokovic doesn't have to run far from the middle to hit the ball) whenever he sees fit or he gets an extra nice opportunity. He'll have no problem playing the ball in the middle to let the opponent recover from the side back into a rally, he's straight upper handing every one just like Federer used to

zero_suit

Teetris said:
Djokovic's pretty much ascended to Federer GOAT levels. He can preserve his stamina as best as possible while still playing tight plus make the opponent as tired as possible by luring them into rallies and then outplay them (you can see how often djokovic doesn't have to run far from the middle to hit the ball) whenever he sees fit or he gets an extra nice opportunity. He'll have no problem playing the ball in the middle to let the opponent recover from the side back into a rally, he's straight upper handing every one just like Federer used to

Nah, this is only his 1st year dominating like this. Let's see what happens over the next couple of years.

unomas

Banned
Teetris said:

I would agree that this is the highest level of tennis anyone has ever played, and granted it's not over the course of years, but this is absolutely the highest level of tennis anyone has ever played on a consistent basis. To be handling guys like this and outlasting them when other top players like Federer and Nadal who've dominated the game the last 5-7 years are going down to the same opponents says alot. Guys are raising their level and getting better and better, Fish is a prime example. He wasted his early years, and now his level is off the charts with no visible weaknesses in his game. The US Open is going to be very interesting, and hats off to Novak for being able to win match in and out against this level of competition.

clemenx

Banned
If Djoko wins USO I agree. Single season-wise this is the most impressive thing ever.

The thing is that Roger is GOAT because he had like 3 straight seasons at that level.

MIMIC

Banned
I really hope Djokovic wins the U.S. Open. I feel that it'll probably be the biggest win for him (apart from the Australian). He's had so much success there and that nighttime energy is something he feeds off of. Kinda like how the "classy", "traditionalist" feel of Wimby suits Federer, Melbourne and New York fit Djoker.

And yes, this Fish-Murray match is crazy. So may breaks.

MIMIC

Banned
Diprosalic said:
no way, wimbledon meant so much more to him. wimby is no.1 for everyone.

You're right but maybe I'm not wording it correctly. Wimbledon certainly is the crowning jewel in any tennis player's resume but I think certain players develop attachments to certain tournaments.

I certainly can't speak for any of them but I get that impression. Or maybe I'm just way off base.... :)

Top Bottom