• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

What a disappointing day. An uninteresting first SF and then I had my hopes pinned on this one being exciting, but Berdych decides to screw that up >( Oh well, GO NOLE

clemenx

Banned
Djokovic has looked very tired since the start :( Hope he finds another gear for the 2nd set. This is rather boring but it's Murray's fault, lol.

Djokovic 7 winners 20 UE
Murray 4 winners 7 UE

Awful.

He's definitely not well physically, what a shame.

MIMIC

Banned
lol Djokovic awful in this match. Struggling to win points, let alone games.

Murray to his credit is just chugging along, doing his thing.

Damn, he could have waited another minute and maybe had a massive rain delay, lol... He's probably way too out of gas for just a rain delay to fix though, *sigh* Oh well, hope he rests up well for the Open

zero_suit

Sax Russel said:
Damn, he could have waited another minute and maybe had a massive rain delay, lol... He's probably way too out of gas for just a rain delay to fix though, *sigh* Oh well, hope he rests up well for the Open

Nah, he would've lost anyway. He was down 3-0.

chessnut

That last game in the first set was a big blow for Djokovic. 1 point away from forcing a deuce, and if he won the game it would've been 5-5. Oh well, I just hope he's ready for the US Open.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Didn't watch the final, but hearing he retired is horrible to hear. Hope he'll be fit again by US Open

Murray must feel pretty bad as well winning like this

edit, shoulder injury? Damn, he better have stopped before it got real bad, recovery in a week might be hard

Wes

venison crêpe
I didn't see the match, was Djokovic laboring before he retired? The scoreline suggests Murray was just about besting him.

d+pad

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Pathetic match.

Which one? The men's final or the women's?

RE: the men's final -- I think it's all sorts of wrong that Novak quit when he did. I'd rather he defaulted the final entirely than retire with Murray staring at the finish line. Oh, well, what can you do?

I agree, BTW, that this kind of thing should make folks further respect what Federer and even Nadal did before this year (i.e., play and win a ton of matches in a single year).

As for the women's final: Ugh. On the one hand, you have to give props to Sharapova for having the guts that she does. Most players would have folded completely after choking the first set away like she did today. Instead, she soldiered on and somehow pulled off the win. On the other hand, though, she may be the stubbornist -- in a bad way -- player I've ever seen. Who the hell goes for a huge first serve on break point after having already hit two DFs in a game? She sure has guile and will, etc., but not always smarts.

Ah, well, she has three Grand Slam titles and I have none, so I guess it's easy for me to criticize :p

Anyway, the US Open sure is going to be interesting. Novak and Serena are still by far the favorites, IMO, but even they are surrounded by questions. It'll be very interesting to see which two players walk away with the trophy in three weeks...

MIMIC

Banned
U.S. Open draw comes out at 12pm EST (iirc).

I wanna make the U.S. Open thread. ^_^ It's been a long time since I wasn't banned during a slam! =p

Peru

I'm absolutely exhausted after the three Slams this year so I don't know how much energy I'll have for this Open.

MIMIC

Banned
Djoker preparing for the U.S. Open:

304945_10150265185617680_65920772679_8273243_914388_n.jpg

And the vid that goes along with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KenutsNFQSM

i like that he's such a goof-ball. i think it's great for the sport after the two classy and humble guys. this is what tennis needs a bit more excitement.

Peru

Diprosalic said:
no way, slam weeks are best weeks. i haven't missed a single federer GS match.

Well it doesn't help that no slam goes the way I want it to.. I'll get sucked in again, though.

Peru said:
Well it doesn't help that no slam goes the way I want it to.. I'll get sucked in again, though.

oh yeah, this year wans't that great for me either. as a federer fan winning is every thing that matters.

Diprosalic said:
i like that he's such a goof-ball. i think it's great for the sport after the two classy and humble guys. this is what tennis needs a bit more excitement.

agreed, as much as I like Federer, he's just a boring person

Diprosalic said:
oh yeah, this year wans't that great for me either. as a federer fan winning is every thing that matters.

As a Djokovic fan it's been great
3AQmK.gif

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Hurricane probably gonna mess up the Us Open like the past few years.
I hope not, last year we got screwed by the wind and then the final with the rain delays:(

Smellycat

I don't want to jinx Federer, but his draw looks good through the quarters (I don't see Harrison, Cilic or Stepanek beating him) then he might be facing Fish or Tsonga. Fish would be a crowd favorite, and Tsonga has beaten Federer the last couple of times. (he is injured though...)

I wanted a Federer-Nadal SF and then hopefully a Federer Djokovic final. But the draw is always rigged for a potential Federer Nadal final.

Top Bottom