• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Federer has a decent early draw, rooting for him to become champ this tournament. Would be nice to see him beat Djokovic and Nadal on this surface.

MIMIC

Banned
Rafa=FedKilla said:
I make US open thread this weekend. No later than Saturday morning. Cuz I got glandular fever like Fed.

Even though I called it first, I changed my mind. I'm just glad that I'm not banned this time.

It's all yours

hsin

Banned
I'll actually be in NYC from around the first Wednesday until the 2nd week Tuesday. Wonder if any Tennis GAF in the area would want to meetup and watch some LIVE MATCHES? Still some tickets left...not the best seats but from the seat camera, the view looks VERY reasonable.

g23

European pre-madonna
Is tennis hard to pick up? I'm 20, 5'8 fairly athletic with a slight frame. My main sport is basketball if thats any help. Anyways just wanted to get some general advice, is it too late?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
g23 said:
Is tennis hard to pick up? I'm 20, 5'8 fairly athletic with a slight frame. My main sport is basketball if thats any help. Anyways just wanted to get some general advice, is it too late?
Tennis is never too late or hard to pick up. Basketball/general ballsport experience is a pro but not necessary. Just gotta have good coordination. Do want to have proper lessons or learn yourself/with friends through just playing?

Height shouldn't be much of a problem either and with your age you can still become as good as you want to. It's a really easy sport to get better in, especially if you can appreciate fine technique you'll grow like a mofo in your first year

g23 said:

i started two years ago (with 20) picked it up quite easily and i'm playing and beating guys who play since their 6-10 years old :). i'm not great but i can hang with the lower amateurs and win a couple of tournament matches.

g23

European pre-madonna
Teetris said:
Tennis is never too late or hard to pick up. Basketball/general ballsport experience is a pro but not necessary. Just gotta have good coordination. Do want to have proper lessons or learn yourself/with friends through just playing?

Height shouldn't be much of a problem either and with your age you can still become as good as you want to. It's a really easy sport to get better in, especially if you can appreciate fine technique you'll grow like a mofo in your first year

Thanks that sounds great, I'm just trying to learn and play with friends who also picked up the sport. I always thought tennis was one of the hardest sports to learn and get good at because of the skill and technique involved.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
g23 said:
Thanks that sounds great, I'm just trying to learn and play with friends who also picked up the sport. I always thought tennis was one of the hardest sports to learn and get good at because of the skill and technique involved.
The hardest beginners thing that I can think of is getting used to the grip (especially if you'll want to grow to a more extreme one) it could easily take months depending on how stubborn you get with holding it. Nowadays I hit with a western grip (only change to eastern if I want to go for a winner) but it did take me over 6 months to get there.

If you play basketball regularly footwork shouldn't be much of a problem, just make sure you always get in position for the ball before it gets there and stand still before hitting it. Try to avoid running strokes as much as possible (if you do a split-step when your opponents makes contact with the ball you pretty much always get there on time). You'll see how fun and easy it is to play, especially with friends!

Oh and ALWAYS look at the ball, even when you hit it :p

----
edit, anyone read this shit? Laughed my ass off. Supposedly it has a doping effect

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576532854267519860.html

hsin

Banned
I forgot to post this in the US Open thread, a fan rant as to why Djokovic is more of a man than Nadal and Federer. Wouldn't usually post fan commentary but I really got a kick out of this guy!

MIMIC

Banned
I've seen his videos posted other places as well. Haven't had a chance to watch them all the way through.

Anyways, some news.

Novak: Tried to be a hero, played Davis Cup (after pulling out), hurt himself and lost to del Potro after a retirement.

Nadal: Destroyed the French team in Davis Cup. Was played on clay so the result was NID.

Federer: Won his Davis Cup matches against Tomic & Hewitt. Also, he pulled out of Shanghai (the next Masters).

MIMIC said:
I've seen his videos posted other places as well. Haven't had a chance to watch them all the way through.

Anyways, some news.

Novak: Tried to be a hero, played Davis Cup (after pulling out), hurt himself and lost to del Potro after a retirement.

Nadal: Destroyed the French team in Davis Cup. Was played on clay so the result was NID.

Federer: Won his Davis Cup matches against Tomic & Hewitt. Also, he pulled out of Shanghai (the next Masters).
Delpo slayed the number one, fullfilling the propechy, signaling the begining of the Del Potro era. As the era gets closer my spelling gets worse.

Atp, itf, tennis autralia, chinese overlords. Need to change the schedule, have only WOlrd tour finals after us open...end season.....have indoors and asian tournaments before Aus Open. Porblems solved. ATP please pay me money.

This must mean Nadal is in decline. Will Nadal ever win another major? Will he ever win the French Open? How can be called the greatest of all time when there is another player better than him right now?

MIMIC

Banned
Shanghai R3: Tomic vs. Dolgopolov

Battle of the up-and-comers! (Dolgopolov leads the H2H 2-0)

Diprosalic said:
murray beat nadal, something that doesn't happen everyday.

I saw that match. It was bizarre. Murray really took it to another level and took Nadal completely out of the match. He was even RIPPING the ball when he played Ferrer in the round before.

Murray was just unplayable.

Useless trivia: Nadal has yet to defend a non-clay title. He was defending Beijing. The trend continues.....

Smellycat

MIMIC said:
Shanghai R3: Tomic vs. Dolgopolov

Battle of the up-and-comers! (Dolgopolov leads the H2H 2-0)

I saw that match. It was bizarre. Murray really took it to another level and took Nadal completely out of the match. He was even RIPPING the ball when he played Ferrer in the round before.

Murray was just unplayable.

Useless trivia: Nadal has yet to defend a non-clay title. He was defending Beijing. The trend continues.....

Yeah, the scoreline is also similar to when Federer beat Nadal at Hamburg in 2007.

And that last trivia you posted.. it is not useless at all!! It is very relevant. Even if Nadal picks up 2 or 3 more GSs, you can't really say that he is the best ever when he can't even defend a title outside of clay. He is definitely one of the greatest, but that stat really hurts him.

MIMIC

Banned
You're right; it's not exactly "useless" but I didn't want to come off as unnecessarily criticizing him.

And in other news, after Nadal lost to Mayer in Shanghai (WTF?), it means that Djokovic has officially clinched the year-end No. 1 ranking for the 1st time ^_^

article-2011232-0CDC9B7400000578-574_306x423.jpg

Novak Djokovic will finish as the No. 1 player in the year-end South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings. He is the 16th different player to finish No. 1 in the history of the ATP Rankings (since 1973).

World No.2 Rafael Nadal’s third-round loss at the Shanghai Rolex Masters on Thursday assured the Serb of the top ranking come the end of the season.

The 24-year-old Belgrade native is the first Serbian man to finish No. 1 in the history of the ATP Rankings (since 1973). It also marks a record eighth straight year a European is the No. 1 player on the ATP World Tour. For seven years from 1985-91, Europeans finished No. 1.

Djokovic is the first player other than Roger Federer (2004-07, ‘09) or Rafael Nadal (2008, ’10) to finish No. 1 since American Andy Roddick in 2003.

Djokovic will be officially crowned as the year-end No. 1 at a special trophy presentation at the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London where he will be competing for a fifth straight year. The tournament takes place Nov. 20-27.

On July 4, Djokovic became No. 1 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings for the first time after winning his first Wimbledon title. He began his outstanding season with a 41-match winning streak (43 overall back to last year). He has won a career-high 10 titles in 11 finals, including his second Australian Open and first US Open crowns.

En route to a 64-3 match record, he has captured a record five ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles in a season, in Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid, Rome and Montreal. He has also compiled a 20-2 mark vs. Top 10 opponents, defeating rivals Nadal six times and Federer four times so far in 2011.

Between now and the end of the season, the Serb is due to play at the Basel Swiss Indoors, the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris, and the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals at The O2 in London.

ATP WORLD TOUR YEAR-END NO. 1
(since 1973)

Year Player
2011 Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
2010 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2009 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2008 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2007 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2006 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2005 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2004 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2003 Andy Roddick (U.S.)
2002 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2001 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2000 Gustavo Kuerten (Brazil)
1999 Andre Agassi (U.S.)
1998 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1997 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1996 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1995 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1994 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1993 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1992 Jim Courier (U.S.)
1991 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1990 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1989 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1988 Mats Wilander (Sweden)
1987 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1986 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1985 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1984 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1983 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1982 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1981 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1980 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1979 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1978 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1977 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1976 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1975 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1974 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1973 Ilie Nastase (Romania)
ATP World Tour

MIMIC

Banned
Still having shoulder issues, Djoker withdraws from the tournament and Tsonga advances (walkover).

Federer lays an egg on court, but still beats Clown Monaco in straight sets. God damn that match was awful. I only caught the deciding set in the Murray-Berdych match but it was really entertaining...especially the final game. Murray OUT; Berdych advances. So does Isner over dah-VEED Ferrer.

Didn't think there was anything wrong with the Fed match, not like the majority of the errors were on rally shots.

Djokovic needs to shut down, especially after hearing him say that he altered his serve motion. Not good.

clemenx

Banned
Lol at Nole, Nadal and Murray dropping like flies in the back of the season in their prime and old man Fed still standing. GOAT not even close.

Smellycat

Federer just won his first Paris masters tournament ever, and his first masters title of the year. He beat Tsonga 6-1 7-6(3). He now owns the record of the most HC titles won, and is the first player in history to play in the final of every masters tournament. And he also equalled a bunch of other records.

clemenx said:
Lol at Nole, Nadal and Murray dropping like flies in the back of the season in their prime and old man Fed still standing. GOAT not even close.

It is amazing isn't it? He is playing some outstanding tennis at the end of the season for the second year in a row.

clemenx said:

Like/+1! Man I only just now read about this, too. Fucking Skyrim...

WTF should have some great stuff

hsin

Banned
rando14 said:
Congrats to Federer, it's nice to see some life in him still. :)
Man, the way he played against Berdych in the SF was some furious tennis. So glad Roger finally got the title!

MIMIC

Banned
1118fri002.jpg

STARTS TOMORROW

Sunday, November 20th
GROUP B: (4)Federer vs. (6)Tsonga
Federer leads series 6-3

GROUP B: (2)Nadal vs. (8)Fish
Nadal leads the series 7-1

Monday, November 21st
GROUP A: (3)Murray vs. (5)Ferrer
Murray leads the series 5-3