• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
I know people like to hate on women's tennis, but today has been the most amazing day in women's tennis in ages. Such incredible quarterfinals in Stuttgart.

Peru

I know people like to hate on women's tennis, but today has been the most amazing day in women's tennis in ages. Such incredible quarterfinals in Stuttgart.

Say what you will about the actual finals (they've sucked - Maria's developed a bad case of the finals/Vika choke) this Stuttgart closer will be the fourth time the WTA #1 and #2 have met in a final this year, including the AO. The WTA #1 is also of course the standing grand slam champion, and #1 and #2 are also 1 and 2 on the WTA year-end race. Stability.

And yeah, some solid stuff in Stuttgart .

Ashhong

I completely forgot the name of the tourney but didn't Marsha just lose to Azarenka in some smaller tourney in California as well? Got dominated like Australian Open iirc..

Peru

Indian Wells is definitely not a small tournament, they're styling themselves "the fifth slam". She's lost to Azarenka in three finals this year.

Peru

Well! Maria beat Vika in straight sets after losing three matches against her in straights earlier this year, and wins the Stuttgart title. Clay is turning into her best friend, this was apparent last year where I felt the French was her best shot at a slam. 31-13 winner stats.

Interesting, for trivia's sake, that she beat the US Open Champion, Wimbledon Champion, AO Champion in this tournament.

zero_suit

Well! Maria beat Vika in straight sets after losing three matches against her in straights earlier this year, and wins the Stuttgart title. Clay is turning into her best friend, this was apparent last year where I felt the French was her best shot at a slam. 31-13 winner stats.

Interesting, for trivia's sake, that she beat the US Open Champion, Wimbledon Champion, AO Champion in this tournament.

Wow, I didn't see this result coming.

szaromir

Banned
Indian Wells is definitely not a small tournament, they're styling themselves "the fifth slam". She's lost to Azarenka in three finals this year.
Nope, only 2 (Indian Wells and AO). Isn't Miami considered the fifth slam (mainly because Williams sisters ignore IW)?

Great performance by Sharapova today, but Sharapova-Stosur was the match of the week. It's a shame Stosur didn't convert her match point as I like Sam.

Damn, I hate Nadal and am always so disappointed when his opponents don't take their chances. Ferrer had 5 set points in the first set and was serving for the second set, but blew it twice.

Socreges

Banned
GO RAONIC!

On another note, my girlfriend and I now have tennis racquets and have played a handful of times. It's a lot of fun, but I'm just OK and she's kinda terrible. We've agreed that we need to improve our technique. Do you guys have any websites to recommend that would be helpful?

MIMIC

Banned
The blue clay looks really nice. Kinda looks like a carpet that was just vacuumed at a cheesy hotel or something :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I can understand the hate for the blue clay from players but for watching matches it's sooo good!

szaromir

Banned
I can understand the hate for the blue clay from players but for watching matches it's sooo good!
The color is great for tracking the ball indeed, but the surface itself doesn't make for great tennis - too slippery... Also it's very fast and while I like fast surfaces (since there are so few of them nowadays) it does not make for a good warmup to Roland Garros.

The color is great for tracking the ball indeed, but the surface itself doesn't make for great tennis - too slippery... Also it's very fast and while I like fast surfaces (since there are so few of them nowadays) it does not make for a good warmup to Roland Garros.

I love the blue clay. Blue courts with yellow balls is just about the best combination for spectators. Back in the day tennis balls were white and most courts were green, those were dark times.

szaromir

Banned
Definitely hearing the slippery comments a lot, that can't be good when it's already clay

But finally seeing the match HLs between Federer and Raonic it really was a great match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65CSM0M85_Q
Raonic beasting all around and Roger going more to the net, love it!

I think Fed ultimately lost more points at the net than he won, but it kept Raonic on the edge all the time. Good tactics. Raonic is definitely one to watch, should be in top 10 soon enough.

Nadal lost his match against Verdasco, he blew 5*-2 lead in the decider. I'd lie if I said I'm sad. ;)

leng jai

Horrendous match in every way bar the result. Watching these two gimps take 30+ seconds between points would put anyone to sleep. Nadal's mental game has regressed dramatically this year.

First match I've watched in Madrid this year and the surface is woeful. Reminds me of my local ontecar courts here in Melbourne - the ones that haven't had the surface topped up in months that is.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I think Fed ultimately lost more points at the net than he won, but it kept Raonic on the edge all the time. Good tactics. Raonic is definitely one to watch, should be in top 10 soon enough.

Nadal lost his match against Verdasco, he blew 5*-2 lead in the decider. I'd lie if I said I'm sad. ;)
Jeebus, he was up 5-2 and serving for match too? That's crazy

That missed smash was hilarious, I choked like that dozens of times as well but too be fair Verdasco was blasting his forehand as well from there on

Nadal actually choked this time and Verdasco was crying after the match, brah thought he won a GS.
That was hilarious as well, Nadal was just standing there

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holy shit, people seen todays results? Cept for Federer they are pretty crazy, Verdasco's dream short lived, djoko tamed as well by fellow countryman. Blue clay is magic indeed

clemenx

Banned
I see this great level in Del Potro v Berdych match and can't help but think Nadal and Nole are just whiners.

They're the biggest winners with court homogenization so they surely criticize any variety thrown at them smh. I don't really like the color but it's welcomed if it plays diffidently

Roger Federer said:
If you want to be a good clay court player, you must be able to play everywhere.
Madrid has taken a gamble with blue clay. It’s always a little different here because of the altitude and we must sit down with the other players to discuss it.
It is slippy, there’s no doubt about that but that has been the case here for a few years. They haven’t yet found the perfect balance. Our job each day is to adapt to the conditions that we face.

(after the Ferrer QF)

Forcing Tiriac out of Madrid cuz little Mowgli didn't like the courts. Waaaahhhhhhh!!!! Thye cater all the other courts in the world to me why not this one too? fucking jungle book cookie cutter motherfucker.

Berdych is hitting the ball way too cleanly and way too hard for Fed. On top of that, Fed keeps dropping his shots really short. Doesn't look like this will end well for him.

I see this great level in Del Potro v Berdych match and can't help but think Nadal and Nole are just whiners.

They're the biggest winners with court homogenization so they surely criticize any variety thrown at them smh. I don't really like the color but it's welcomed if it plays diffidently

i love it. i always hat starring at the red clay and barely making out where the ball is. if i have a hd feed it's okay but i barely do.

this tournament shows just one time more that federer is the best at adapting.

Berdych Breaks back

untitled-4mqzvf.gif

Top Bottom