• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

fuck yeah, never thought to see federer winning madrid again.

scratch that - never thought i would see federer winning a clay tournament again.

szaromir

Banned
Amazing, Roger has reborn after that USO loss (which could have gone either way...) and is by far the best player since then. #2 and hopefully #1 soon!

untitled-27gb08.gif

MIMIC

Banned
Fed back to No. 2.

Berdych was particularly bad on serve (serves 3 aces down 0-40 only to commit 2 straight double faults. Who does that? lol) Federer was particularly clutch on serve.

At least the blue nightmare is over. Would have been a better tournament had it not been for the ice rink.

clemenx

Banned
I think he needs to win USO and do his standard indoor season domination where Nole and Nadal clearly don't care as much and he can be #1 at the end of the year. Olympics could help too.

jett

D-Member
I think he needs to win USO and do his standard indoor season domination where Nole and Nadal clearly don't care as much and he can be #1 at the end of the year. Olympics could help too.

He hasn't won the US Open in 4 years. That dream is over.

I'm still wrapping my head around Will Smith's terrible Spanish and presenting Federer his suit from MIB3, lolol

(btw wtb gifs of that)

I didn't pay attention much last year, but you guys really think it's done and over for Federer then? If he can't win a single slam, what's the point? What's the next tournament btw?

Edit: Holy shit, Roland Garos is this month?! Fuck yeah!

zero_suit

I didn't pay attention much last year, but you guys really think it's done and over for Federer then? If he can't win a single slam, what's the point? What's the next tournament btw?

I think this is the last year where Fed can do some damage. He definitely won't win RG. The US Open is his best chance to win a slam.

clemenx

Banned
He can win one, he's still at a great level. He clearly struggles with 5 setters more but that's normal. It's not like he's losing to washed up people on the early rounds. It is possible he doesn't win another slam but he shouldn't retire just because of that.

MIMIC

Banned

As far as Nadal and Djokovic are concerned, Fed is done. Compared to the rest of the field, it's still 2006.

There is a MASSIVE chasm between the top 3 and the rest of the field. Seems like Fed is prone to the occasional upset (like the last 2 years at Wimbledon) but for the most part he's still beating everyone else down. Djokovic is the only guy who has stepped up. Thank God for him :)

Also, next tournament is Rome. Starts next week.

I think this is the last year where Fed can do some damage. He definitely won't win RG. The US Open is his best chance to win a slam.
I see. Well I just watch from time to time so I don't know the players' specific performances lately etc, but damn I was hoping I'd see Fed win a few more slams =(

Edit: We get it Mimic, you're into Djokovic. I hope either Nadal or the Fed kick him off that #1 this year.

He's way too far away from Djoko. He'd need to suffer a Nadal-like injury and be out of the game for months. :p

no he isn't. he was 6000 points a way a short while ago. down to 2000 and djokovic has billions of points to defend. he lost a shit load already federer definately has a chance if he keeps playing like that and if he wins a GS it's almost a done deal.

He's way too far away from Djoko. He'd need to suffer a Nadal-like injury and be out of the game for months. :p

this year:

Federer: 6880 (Basel 500, Paris 1000, WTF 1500, Doha 90, AO 720, DC 25, Rotterdam 500, Dubai 500, IW 1000, Miami 45, Madrid 1000)
Djokovic: 4880 (Basel 180, Paris 180, WTF 200, AO 2000, Dubai 180, IW 360, Miami 1000, MC 600, Madrid 180)
Nadal: 4080 (WTF 200, Doha 90, AO 1200, IW 360, Miami 360, DC 280, MC 1000, Barcelona 500, Madrid 90)

if he snags one slam from djoko he will be very near.

szaromir

Banned
^ that's after USO, not this year
Fed needs a SLAM to be No. 1. Hope Djokovic continues to troll him in that department :)
I hope Djokovic and Nadal will keep drawing each other in slam semis. No more 6 hours long baseline grinding marathons with 3 minutes between each point in slam finals kthx.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holy shit, his kids are huge! I thought they were still babies :/

Very cute, love how the face is exactly federer

Smellycat

He hasn't won the US Open in 4 years. That dream is over.

How so??

2009: Lost in final, and was 2 points away from winning it.
2010: Had 2 MPs in SF
2011: Has 2 MPs in SF

Federer was a couple of points away from matching Lendl's 8 consecutive finals at the U.S Open!! To say that he will not win another U.S Open is ridiculous. He is the best U.S Open player ever and he always plays well there.

Peru

Yeah but Maria's set had been shaky before that. I don't know why, when she has the advantage in a point, she doesn't go more forward? She wins 99% of points when moving towards the net with a drive volley or whatever. Too passive, believe it or not.

She pulled a Seppi, though.

Love italian crowd, they're there for all interesting match-ups.

MIMIC

Banned
The Seppi match had an amazing atmosphere....Davis Cup-like, but without the rudeness....except for the one guy who yelled out "Go home, Stanislas." LOL

Is Federer playing today? The official website's schedule is only showing tomorrow...

Edit: I see they're playing now, people watching?

Edit: Have been watching in short burst but uh... Federer on fire or what?

Peru

Tsonga folded after chances in the first set. Djoker vs. Federer.

‏@SI_BTBaseline
Sharapova hasn't lost before a quarterfinal all year. Into her 5th semifinal in 7 tournaments, undefeated in semis this year.

The consistency is there.. now we just need a frikkin Slam trophy. Only player to dominate her hands down is Serena. The other sister, not so much - Venus down in two sets (first set good, 2nd set hot mess).

szaromir

Banned
I hope she won't win a slam, she's just so painful to watch.

Finally Djokovic vs Federer, their 1st encounter since that USO semi. Go Roger!

MIMIC

Banned
If Federer wins, it (more than likely) means that Nadal will trounce him in the final, sending him back to No. 3, pretty much eliminating him from another RG title (since Nadal is a lock for any clay final)

If Djoker wins, well....he wins. He probably won't have to deal with the distraction of "the streak" from last year so he might be more focused this time around at RG.

Win-win for me ^_^ But honestly, it's too stressful to bank on any one particular scenario to pan out (but if Fed sneaks another RG without having to play Nadal, I might kill myself) so I should just sit back and enjoy the tennis.

szaromir

Banned
If Federer wins, it (more than likely) means that Nadal will trounce him in the final, sending him back to No. 3, pretty much eliminating him from another RG title (since Nadal is a lock for any clay final)

If Djoker wins, well....he wins. He probably won't have to deal with the distraction of "the streak" from last year so he might be more focused this time around at RG.

Win-win for me ^_^ But honestly, it's too stressful to bank on any one particular scenario to pan out (but if Fed sneaks another RG without having to play Nadal, I might kill myself) so I should just sit back and enjoy the tennis.

Djoker isn't as good as he was last year. I think Nadal remains the strong favorite on clay, luckily there's only two tournaments left (including Rome).

clemenx

Banned
We all love you, Ferrer but in clay you should lose to Nadal faster...

I hope I have to eat crow, they're in the 1st set tiebreak lolol.

Don't worry, he's trying to get bageled in the 2nd =P

Edit: Someone fly me to Rome so I can strangle the guy wooooing every time Ferrer loses a point.

Top Bottom