• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Mardy Fish must have really gotten hurt. He won the first set 6-4, then was leading 3-2 in the second, then retired. I can't find any info about why he retired, but generally players don't retire when they are leading.

LOL Mowgli. Brah is going to pull the same song and dance from three years ago when Soda destroyed him at FO and he didn't play for months. Take some Zoloft brah.

MIMIC

Banned
Holy shit!

First thing that came to mind:

2009: Nadal is the victim of a monumental upset, decides to skip Wimbledon
2011: Nadal is the victim of a monumental upset, decides to skip the Olympics

Whatever it is that is plaguing him, hopefully he'll have it sorted out soon. At least he already has a gold medal so he shouldn't be TOO sad about it.

Alright, I've settled on the name Brah=EXTREME. Who do I contact?

MIMIC, that's what I said brah and everyone cLLED ME CRAZY. HE CLEARLY HAS EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I can believe it, I doubt it's a mental thing tho, probably some ego issues

Well maybe Federer can get his singles medal now

Well maybe Federer can get his singles medal now

Yeah that's what I figured after FO loss to Soderling, that he believed the media hyp and thought he was invincible there. And it was a shock to the system to him. Covering it up with "knee" problems and his parents divorce. Real champions comeback with vengance like Roger after last years US Open and Djokovic the year before.

Bigfoot

One theory I've read at a few sites is that the Olympic drug testing is a lot more intense than ATP testing. It is possible that Nadal might be worried about that as he is probably pushing the limits with whatever they are giving him to get his knee better.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
One theory I've read at a few sites is that the Olympic drug testing is a lot more intense than ATP testing. It is possible that Nadal might be worried about that as he is probably pushing the limits with whatever they are giving him to get his knee better.
He uses doping to get his knee better? I know there's probably widespread doping going on everywhere, but didn't know it could be used to recover faster with some things like the knee

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Yeah that's what I figured after FO loss to Soderling, that he believed the media hyp and thought he was invincible there. And it was a shock to the system to him. Covering it up with "knee" problems and his parents divorce. Real champions comeback with vengance like Roger after last years US Open and Djokovic the year before.

you mean like how nadal won 4 out of the next 7 grand slams after missing wimbledon, including 3 in a row?

Wes

venison crêpe
Who's going to open the Olympic tennis thread?

They wont allow it. Having a seperate thread for each event? Not the style of the overlords.

I imagine it'll be in the Olympic thread and in here. Much like football and basketball is discussed in their respective community threads and the Olympic OT.

Peru

I think discussing in-depth in this thread will work fine, and I enjoy lots of non-regular fans of sports following tennis and everything else in the main thread. It's a different atmosphere.

szaromir

Banned
Fine by me., but I won't be following the Olympics main thread.

Federer's best and last shot at Olympic singles gold metal. Serena is the heavy favorite on women's side, which means she won't win it. :p

BTW draws are out tomorrow at 11am GMT.

Wes

venison crêpe
rwLyS.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nadal pulling off from the Olympics makes one really appreciate the consistency of Federer, isn't it? Hopefully he can get the single olympic medal to strengthen his already illuminating career even further.

szaromir

Banned
Nadal pulling off from the Olympics makes one really appreciate the consistency of Federer, isn't it? Hopefully he can get the single olympic medal to strengthen his already illuminating career even further.
If Nadal'sinjured then he's injured and it has nothing to do with consistency. Or do you mean that Federer's incredible fitness preparation means he does not get injured?

agrajag

Banned
If Nadal'sinjured then he's injured and it has nothing to do with consistency. Or do you mean that Federer's incredible fitness preparation means he does not get injured?

He means that Federer's effortless playing style, which stems from talent and technique rather than brute athleticism gives him a lot more mileage and is easier on the body than Nadal's "chase down every ball" style.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
He means that Federer's effortless playing style, which stems from talent and technique rather than brute athleticism gives him a lot more mileage and is easier on the body than Nadal's "chase down every ball" style.
I wonder if he can beat Agassi and win a GS past 33. Dude should be able to play at least a few more years easily, even if he compromises his effortless style into even less effort :p

agrajag

Banned
I wonder if he can beat Agassi and win a GS past 33. Dude should be able to play at least a few more years easily, even if he compromises his effortless style into even less effort :p

He said that it's a sure thing that he will play at the 2016 Olympics.

Too bad for Raonic but he played well.

I thought it got pedestrian at times since they're both great servers and mediocre returners, but it was still a very hard-fought and close match.

Akito

Lisicki up a break in the first set against Sharapova, now serving for the set
EDIT: should have kept my mouth shut :(

Top Bottom