• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Globox_82

Banned
Roger Federer is the latest player to call for more drug testing in tennis.

Even though the 31-year-old former world No 1 believes tennis is fundamentally 'clean', he also thinks extended testing would send out a strong message to anyone thinking of messing with performance enhancing substances.

The winner of 17 Grand Slam titles, competing in this week's ATP Tour event in Rotterdam, said: "We should do more in terms of blood testing.

"I also support the biological blood passport, with information stored away. It's important to make sure that tennis is credible and clean to a maximum.

"We don't want players even getting the idea to cheat. Of course we need more funding.

"Maybe the Grand Slams should put in more since they have the most to lose if one of their players is not clean.

"I feel tennis is very clean, there's maybe one case a year and they are not all done on purpose. Some are just mistakes but stupidity can get you into trouble also."

Federer is top seed and defending champion at this week's indoor event which he also won in 2005.

World No 3 Andy Murray was another top player recently advocating more drugs testing in his sport.

Then if it is clean stop asking for these measures. I like how fake these guys can be. OMG we need more control, but it's clean I know. I am ok with first part asking for more control, but to end it with BS "It's very clean" ugh. Rafa did the same a few days ago. So did Novak and Andy if my memory serves me right.

Either they know something (silent ban thing?) or it's just odd that they are being very vocal about this all of a sudden.

szaromir

Banned
Fedclown appeared in the final two games.

Serena back at #1! And WTA's top 4 meet in semis, a shame both are going to be one sided affairs.

Fed's 200th loss and Benneteau's 200th win. It's poetry.

Fedclown appeared in the final two games.

Serena back at #1! And WTA's top 4 meet in semis, a shame both are going to be one sided affairs.
Nice to see Kvitova play a good match against her as well; she was up 4-2 in the third set, shouldn't have blown that lead with the way she's capable of serving.

H9ecKTY.jpg

Good to see Serena back at #1 regardless.

Simplet

Fed getting old...to lose indoors is a bit odd. He looked out of shape during AO, and now here.

He lost to the same player in the Paris master indoors in 2009. Benneteau also led 2 sets to love and was two points away from winning the fourth set tie-break against him in WIMBLEDON last year.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Berlocq isn't scared. He's gonna silence that crowd :p

Edit: from 0-40, 5 straight points for the hold. Boss.

Edit 2: Berlocq choke (chocq?) :(

Edit 3: Berlocq goes up a break early in the third and dumps it back on a double fault.

Edit 4: And Berlocq crumbles.

Globox_82

Banned
Berloq is not a that good of a player. I honestly expected more from Rafa on clay. O boy if Novak takes Monte Carlo from him afte 8 years....

szaromir

Banned
I look forward to Nalbandian destroying Nadal.
If I learned anything over the years is not to rely on Nalbandian. Though he certainly has an opportunity to snatch a wig seeing that Nadal loses sets to random scrubs left and right. I wonder if Nadal can groove himself into the form he was last year in, when he was barely losing games in majority of his RG matches.

szaromir

Banned
Since when does Serena play minor tournaments like this one?
It's not a minor tournament in terms of rankings points awarded and prize money, though it lacks tradition and prestige of something like Rome, Montreal or Miami. Serena's schedule has been very busy since Miami last year actually, much busier than 10 years ago lol.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Impressive win from Azarenka. I think her and Serena are clearly a step above everyone else on the women's tour. It'd be nice to see more slam finals between the two.

Also, pretty sad that Nalbandian couldn't even take a set off Nadal, considering the dudes that did this week.

zero_suit

Impressive win from Azarenka. I think her and Serena are clearly a step above everyone else on the women's tour. It'd be nice to see more slam finals between the two.

Also, pretty sad that Nalbandian couldn't even take a set off Nadal, considering the dudes that did this week.
Glad to hear that Nadal won the title.

Saty

Why aren't Eurosport showing WTA Doha and Dubai this year?

Hm..seems they are showing it on the British Eurosport but not on the international :\

szaromir

Banned
Why aren't Eurosport showing WTA Doha and Dubai this year?

Hm..seems they are showing it on the British Eurosport but not on the international :\
Eurosport doesn't have pan-continental broadcast rights to WTA tournaments anymore. Probably Eurosport UK struck some deal to broadcast Dubai.

modulaire

This Putintseva is someone to keep an eye out on.

She is really solid and has some nice variety in her game. And she is fun to watch because she goes ballistic in a lot of matches (not sure if she will continue to do this now that she is playing on televised courts)

Top Bottom