• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Certinty

The organisers of any slam (excluding Wimbledon of course) have never altered the seedings set by the ITF (the rankings a week before the event begins) so why would they start now?

Bringing Nadal up to lets say the 4th seed (which is most likely if they are to alter the rankings) will only cause problems.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nadal draws Ferrer for the quarter-finals though, fixing this might be the best way to get around Nadal being a non-top 4 seed.

Globox_82

Banned
I thought Wimbledon was the only slam that does that these days. It seems like the other slams just respect the rankings now, or at least I haven't noticed any re-ranking done the last 10 years or so.

RG & W if I am not mistaken. AO and USO will respect the ranking.

Globox_82

Banned
Here is full quote from Jerzy and what he said. Sadly Google translate sucks ass.
- Artificial is Djokovic, he shows off the actors. Federer is the guy who wants to be more than anything. Perhaps in this sense there is something unnatural, it's hard to feel that he is one of us. When tennis players from lower ranking sites protested because the organizers slam pay us only 14 percent. of what they earn, it's Nadal, Murray and Djokovic were on our side, even though they are millionaires, and Federer said that according to him "is OK".

Original
A kto jest sztuczny? Federer gra kogoś innego?

- Sztuczny jest Djoković, on się popisuje, aktorzy. Federer jest gościem, który chce być ponad wszystko. Może w tym sensie jest w nim coś nienaturalnego, ciężko poczuć, że jest jednym z nas. Gdy tenisiści z niższych miejsc rankingowych protestowali, bo organizatorzy Szlemów płacą nam ledwie 14 proc. tego, co zarabiają, to Nadal, Murray i Djoković byli po naszej stronie, choć są milionerami, a Federer powiedział, że według niego "jest OK".

m.sport.pl/celebrities/1,104991,13342545,Tenis__Jerzy_Janowicz__Musze_miec_w_reku_kalacha.html?as=2

anyone from Poland who can translate this

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i hope murray will overtake federer before roland garros, and then djokovic, federer and nadal will be put on the same side of the draw. the other side will have ferrer-murray semi.

and murray still won't make the final.

szaromir

Banned
Here is full quote from Jerzy and what he said. Sadly Google translate sucks ass.
Original
m.sport.pl/celebrities/1,104991,13342545,Tenis__Jerzy_Janowicz__Musze_miec_w_reku_kalacha.html?as= 2

anyone from Poland who can translate this
I will translate but in the broader context. It's easy to take one sentence and
JJ- (...) I have my rules, I don't get upset by anything trivial, only when the umpire makes an unfair decision or the opponent cheats.

The opponent?

- Tennis players are diverse. Eg. Stepanek can say something unpleasant, they way the umpire doesn't hear it but you do. He tries to throw you off balance. But I don't care about it, maybe I play even better, I get an additional boost.

Do you keep some players in high regard for their style or personality?

- I have no idols, I don't try to be like anyone. I liked Sampras's style and Safin's personality. I like watching Federer and I've been missing Nadal recently, he hasn't played for 8 months due to his injury.

Why are you missing him?
-There's nothing unnatural (fake) about him, he behaves [on tennis court] the way he does in his life.

Who's unnatural (fake) then? Federer tries to be someone else?

-Djoković is unnatural (fake), he shows off, acts. Federer is a guy who wants to be above anything. Maybe in that sense there's something unnatural about him, it's hard to tell he's one of us [tennis players]. When lower ranked players protested because Slams only pay us 14% of their revenues, Nadal, Murray and Djoković backed us up even though they're millioners and Federer said "it's OK [the way it is]".

I'm not sure if 'fake' or 'unnatural' is the better translation in this context, the word 'sztuczny' can be translated into a variety of ways - artificial, synthetic, fake, unnatural etc.

Globox_82

Banned
i hope murray will overtake federer before roland garros, and then djokovic, federer and nadal will be put on the same side of the draw. the other side will have ferrer-murray semi.

and murray still won't make the final.

lol. Murray has improved his FH and that is probably the most important shot on clay, so I think he will do better this year on clay. He won't win masters on clay (that's between Novak and Rafa imo) but he will be in SF at least.

EDIT: BTw Andy will not play in Dubai so it is between Novak and Roger. Hope that is the final.

Globox_82

Banned
I will translate but in the broader context. It's easy to take one sentence and

I'm not sure if 'fake' or 'unnatural' is the better translation in this context, the word 'sztuczny' can be translated into a variety of ways - artificial, synthetic, fake, unnatural etc.
thanks

Certinty

From as far as I've looked back and have asked on a tennis forum, I'll say it's probably surely not happened any time recently, that's a safer option.

You found a Grand Slam where the seedings have been altered?

Regardless my point is it's unlikely to happen at Roland Garros, even if Nadal is a 7 time champion.

Globox_82

Banned
From as far as I've looked back and have asked on a tennis forum, I'll say it's probably surely not happened any time recently, that's a safer option.

You found a Grand Slam where the seedings have been altered?

Regardless my point is it's unlikely to happen at Roland Garros, even if Nadal is a 7 time champion.

when money is involved, anything can happen. It will happen. No one wants Novak vs Rafa in QF.

Smellycat

Unreal. I know that this is Nadal's first tournament in 7 months.. but he came back on clay, and I thought that for sure he was going to win.

TimeInc

wow very surprised by this result. Turned it off after the first set because i thought Nadal was going to breeze through the second set... I know he's come back from a long injury, but the way he just waltzed through to the final I thought for sure he would win.

MIMIC

Banned
So only 3 people have beaten Nadal in a clay final:

Federer (2007 Hamburg & 2009 Madrid)
Djokovic (2011 Madrid & 2011 Rome)
Zaballos (2013 Vina del Mar)

Certinty

That's how you play Nadal on clay.

Nadal was just way too passive but that will improve over the next few weeks.

Great achievement for Zeballos to win his first title and also beating a top 10 for the first time.

MIMIC

Banned
That's how you play Nadal on clay.

Nadal was just way too passive but that will improve over the next few weeks.

Great achievement for Zeballos to win his first title and also beating a top 10 for the first time.

Are you the same Certinty from MTF? :)

lol at the comments. I like how rafa says this tournament is not important to win, but from what I hear he looked after the match like someone killed his family
_65813400_zeballosnadal.jpg

Anyone going to the ABN Amro tennis tournament? Just read that federer is playing wednesday. Never been to a tennis game so I was wondering what would be better:

o5fvgXv.jpg

Theser are some of the seat locations available, with the circle being aproximately the empty seats place within the section. What do you guys think is the better view? Thanks.

Saty

I thought Nadal did good to reach the final; beating AO quarter-finalist on the way. It would have been too much if he would have won the title. 8 months off and win the first tournament? That would have been one of the following:

a. Nadal is a clay prodigy that can beat respectable opponents in his first tournament after 8 months of absence.

b. He really worked hard to be in as close to 100% shape before he returns so he can hit the ground running.

c. Opponents blew the best chance they will ever have of beating Nadal on clay.

d. Silent ban suspicions grow.

qindarka

Banned
I thought Nadal did good to reach the final; beating AO quarter-finalist on the way. It would have been too much if he would have won the title. 8 months off and win the first tournament? That would have been one of the following:

a. Nadal is a clay prodigy that can beat respectable opponents in his first tournament after 8 months of absence.

b. He really worked hard to be in as close to 100% shape before he returns so he can hit the ground running.

c. Opponents blew the best chance they will ever have of beating Nadal on clay.

d. Silent ban suspicions grow.

He is the greatest of all time on clay and his opponents were hardly formidable. Don't think there would be any surprise at all if he won the title. I would say option b is likely, though.

in my crap stream they look exactly the same: same shirt, same trousers, same shoes, same hair. damn kids.

Guess Nike didn't provide different outfits lol.

Dimitrov takes first set 6-3. Pretty meh match so far, Tomic leaking too many errors, shouldn't have expected these two to bring it.

Field

Anyone here use or have used tennistv.com and know if its good or terrible? I'm in Europe if it makes a difference.

modulaire

Anyone here use or have used tennistv.com and know if its good or terrible? I'm in Europe if it makes a difference.

I'm using it right now.

It's alright (much better quality than crappy streams on streamhunter lol) and has good coverage most of the time, but for some reason they are not always covering all Courts, even if a stream and commentary is available. No Court 1 footage in Doha today for example.

The CatchUp-function is nice if you missed a match.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Anyone going to the ABN Amro tennis tournament? Just read that federer is playing wednesday. Never been to a tennis game so I was wondering what would be better:

o5fvgXv.jpg

Theser are some of the seat locations available, with the circle being aproximately the empty seats place within the section. What do you guys think is the better view? Thanks.

I would pick green or yellow personally (they'd be about the same with changeovers), just so it's easier to see everything.

Globox_82

Banned

o5fvgXv.jpg

red imo.

LOl so it's true

EDIT: I like when Rafa says odd things, by using wrong word to explain what he thinks. He often says "My illusions" lol .

Top Bottom