• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Azarenka and Serena have pulled out. I'm sure that's welcome news for the rest of the women.

Globox_82

Banned
47606280851279f07872f1813841238_orig.jpg

szaromir

Banned
Djokovic arm looks massive lol. Weird cause usually on court it seems smaller (slimmer) than the other player's, regardless of the opponent (maybe not Federer :p).

Djokovic arm looks massive lol. Weird cause usually on court it seems smaller (slimmer) than the other player's, regardless of the opponent (maybe not Federer :p).

You don't see his muscles during a tennis match because rackets aren't heavy. That sea turtle looks heavy enough to cause his muscles to bulge out a bit. Only Nadal can look swoll without heavy lifting

Globox_82

Banned
Del Potro and Novak Djokovic in the same half in Dubai. Federer in Berdych in the other half

Djokovic gets Troicki in the first round. Tsonga gets Llodra. Some countrymen match ups early on

QFs Djokovic/Seppi, Del Potro/Youzhny, Federer/Tipsarevic, Berdych/Tsonga
from twitter

Niraj

Despite her best efforts, Kvitova has managed to win another title. Maybe she'll keep it up this time?

Probably won't :(

MIMIC

Banned
Word is that Nadal will skip both Indian Wells and Miami. ESPN UK is reporting it as a fact although they don't really have a source for it. I'm not surprised at all. I've assumed that he would start skipping HC tournaments as soon as he withdrew from the Australian Open:

Just heard the news.

Seems like Nadal will just play on clay from now on and will be skipping the HC tournaments.

If he's eying an all-clay career from now on in an effort to preserve his knees, then more power to him. But it's gonna suck. Not a fan of his, but his presence will definitely be missed at the big tournaments. Also, Ferrer's gonna be in all of the slam semis from now on. And he's gonna continue to be a bye for either No. 1 or No. 2 to reach the final.

qindarka

Banned
Will nadal get a penalty for skipping those or will he be able to claim injury stopped him from going?

The latter I think. They usually give top players a lot of the benefit of the doubt. I can't remember the last time one was penalized for not playing these tournaments.

MIMIC

Banned
Even if he gets penalized, it's not like he cares. He's not Azarenka =p

(I heard a commentator make that joke of her being so savvy about zero-pointers and whatnot)

Deadman

The line judges have been pretty poor today in dubai. So many mistakes.

Federer and berdych now in a tie breaker for the 2nd set.

Saty

I hope this one is the once-a-year win of Berdych against Federer. Get it out of the system now and not in a GS. Really, Berdych only exists to beat Federer at inopportune times. Does nothing against the other top 4.

Niraj

I hope this one is the once-a-year win of Berdych against Federer. Get it out of the system now and not in a GS. Really, Berdych only exists to beat Federer at inopportune times. Does nothing against the other top 4.

No kidding. USO was very annoying last year.

Nadal vs. Almagro coming up.

The highest-ranked player Nadal has faced since his comeback.

And Vegas doesn't have Nadal as that big of a favorite, so anything can happen. Hopefully he doesn't become Almugro again :p

Djokovic v. Berdych seems like a guaranteed win for Novak and watching Nole play Federer would've been significantly more interesting.

I only followed the score but couldn't watch the Fed match. Did he just play really poorly or did Berdych play THAT well? He had 2 match points in the tiebreaker, one on his serve, I was kind of shocked he didn't take it there.

MIMIC

Banned
I think it's all in Almagro's head. I mean, just look at his match against Ferrer at the Australian Open.

I don't really follow the guy, but I just sense the mental block.

I only followed the score but couldn't watch the Fed match. Did he just play really poorly or did Berdych play THAT well? He had 2 match points in the tiebreaker, one on his serve, I was kind of shocked he didn't take it there.
He played poorly brah, it was hard to watch. Then Berdych started serving huge.

Niraj

I think it's all in Almagro's head. I mean, just look at his match against Ferrer at the Australian Open.

I don't really follow the guy, but I just sense the mental block.

It's the standard countrymen inferiority complex. Most of the Spanish players have it with Nadal, Stan's got it with Fed, Tipsarevic and Troicki with Djokovic. They just seem to fade for whatever reason.

Almagro with a good chance here...will he blow it?

edit: 40 all lol...

Certinty

It's a good matchup for Berdych. Nadal and Djokovic are horrible ones and his H2H against Murray is even.

Both were awful for the first 2 sets really. At the end of the second Berdych started playing a little better and kept that level up in the third. A poor match from both overall to be totally honest.

Top Bottom